Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Antero or KC / Challenger 10/6

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Antero or KC / Challenger 10/6

Postby ameristrat » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Thinking about knocking it out from Baldwin Gulch Saturday Morning. Would also be open to KC / Challenger if snow is not an issue.
Last edited by ameristrat on Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Antero or KC / Chalenger 10/6

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:00 pm

Depending on weather and conditions, I may be interested in KC and Challenger. The forecast for the end of this week looks kind of windy but that might change for the better. I would prefer a Saturday drive to the Sangres, hike in to Willow Lake and camp, then Sunday early start, summit, hike out and return drive to Denver.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby ameristrat » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:54 pm

I'd be up for that weather permitting

Postby I Man » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:00 pm

ameristrat wrote:I'd be up for that weather permitting

You guys should go together!!

I did this group around the 3rd week of September last year and found it to be very doable.

Bring spikes and an axe.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Tony1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:32 pm

I have yet to do any of these.

Assuming conditions are good on either - avenue or north ridge?

Postby SilverLynx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:36 pm

Tony1 wrote:I have yet to do any of these.

My vote would be Avenue... assuming conditions are good.
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby I Man » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:41 pm

SilverLynx wrote:
Tony1 wrote:I have yet to do any of these.

My vote would be Avenue... assuming conditions are good.

The Avenue is your only option :-D \:D/
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby ameristrat » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Yeah - I'd like to get Challenger too so my vote is avenue as well.

Postby ameristrat » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Also, someone explain to me how Sunday on Challenger is "mostly sunny" and on Kit Carson it's "partly sunny"

They're a quarter mile apart...
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby Tony1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:03 pm

I won't know of my availability for sure until later in the week, but I'd be happy to join as well.

You could make a loop and go up KC from the ridge and hit Challenger on the standard descent :wink: but really I'd be fine either way. The ridge just seems really fun, provided it's dry enough!

As of now Saturday works better, but it's still early, so we'll see.

Postby ameristrat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:16 am

Let's keep an eye on weather and everything and we'll make a decision later this week. I'm probably going to head over from Challenger if we can go - icy conditions - frost and verglass - make me a little less comfortable with the ridge if that's all right with you guys.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal