Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

flying with microspikes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

flying with microspikes

Postby pvnisher » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:31 am

I'm flying from England to Poland and would like to bring my Microspikes, possibly crampons along. Any restrictions on putting those in your cabin baggage? I won't be checking a bag. I figure crampons are probably out, but microspkes might work. But they're all chainy and pointy, I could see a euro-TSA guy snagging those. Anyone have any experience flying with microspikes, either in the US or abroad?

Re: flying with microspikes

Postby jmc5040 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 am

I've never flown with micro spikes, but did fly with trekking poles in my carry on. Personally I think the poles could be used in a more dangerous way, but who knows. I asked before attempting if I'd be given trouble and the response was they are a walking device so I'd be fine carrying them on. I would just make a phone call or two to play it safe.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Re: flying with microspikes

Postby ironman11 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 am

I flew from NC to CO this past spring with micro spikes. I put them in my checked luggage. The TSA does not allow tent poles or tools to be brought in your carry on, I figured microspikes were out and didn't try it. From my past 5 years of flying twice a week, I have realized that a lot of the time it just depends on the TSA agent that looks at it on the x ray screen. I would hate to get the ok on the way to Poland and then the no go on the return and have to find a checked bag to put them in. Then again if you were to go by what the book says I would say they are not allowed. This again is just an assumption of what I read, I never actually tried them in my checked luggage.