Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Postby Scott P » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:24 pm

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Re: Does anyone else ever feel like this?

Postby Kevo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 am

I took a detour from a career path post college- did the wildland fire thing for a while, saved money and traveled the world. I came back, took another fork in the road and ended up working in the outdoor industry for a gear manufacturer- many people's "dream job".

I ended up staying in that industry for 2.5 years- I came to find I needed a lot more mental stimulation, responsibility and intellectual challenge. I recently left that industry for a totally different industry- more of everything I had discovered that I need, less bs, more money as well.

I love the outdoors and perhaps travel even more. Everyone always talks about office work being a trap. I've come to realize though that the transient lifestyle becomes its own trap- you do cool stuff, you go places and see things few will ever see, but some day you might just need more. There is something to be said for financial stability, and most people can't fight wildfires or guide NOLS courses or (insert 100 other things) forever.

I've spent the past 3 years with a "real" job but always with the ability to walk away from everything at a moments notice- no mortgage, no car payments, etc. I've thought about taking off to South America or Central Asia or wherever and traveling for another year or more.

Today I adopted a dog- she's the first thing in my adult life that I can't walk away from. It's a strange feeling.

Postby Dave B » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:22 am

Science is about as important to me as the mountains. I'm not good enough to get paid to climb, so I'll get paid to do science instead.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby EVEREST DREAMS » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:41 am

NOT FOR A SECOND.

Postby scalba123 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 am

What hurts is that my name actually is Scott. DAMN!!!

Postby Jesse M » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:57 am

If I could only be so lucky.

Postby ajkagy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 am

Not being tied down to an office/cubicle/work place goes a long way. Being able to go where you want or live where you want is the ultimate freedom in my opinion. Being in the industry I'm in, i could literally work out of my car or from a campsite as long as I had an internet connection (satellite or 3G cell). Variety and change is the spice of life :-D
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby susanjoypaul » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:20 am

Hell no. If this girl ever met that girl up there on that cliff, she would push her off - and put us both out of our miseries. But she would probably steal her wallet first... and see if there was any good snacks in that briefcase. Might snag the paper, too, for her next potty break.

Postby dfrizzle » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:08 pm

because of the simple fact that the overwhelming majority of us can't be paid to enjoy the mountains in the way we want to, it's inevitable that we have to make a living somehow. the hope is that whatever we do in our day/night jobs fulfills us in other meaningful ways. i don't believe it simply buys us our tickets to the mountains...we're much more complicated than that, i believe.
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.

Postby Dex » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Scott P wrote:Image

What feeling did you get?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:19 am

I ve had that realization but not necessarily while on a mountain.

To me life is about sacrifice. I have no issues with my 'desk' job, I work with great people and take the approach that I m here to hang out and make some $. Also, having a nice paycheck helps pay for my adventures and allows zero limitation when regarding expenditures on a vacation or outdoor excursion. Lets face it, if everyone just did what they wanted we wouldn't have most of the things we enjoy today, as I m pretty sure majority of the people in the world just wouldn't work.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:27 am

I haven't worried about crossing that path in my life - I was always the "corporate" person well before I heard my call to the mountains. I've wanted to be an architect since I was in 8th grade - the brainwashing worked well on me - and so I pursued it... I only recently (last 5-6 years) found a real passion outside of what I was trained to do, that being hiking and climbing. I also enjoy what I do at work too much, it's what I am better at. But to have the wonderful distraction of climbing, planning climbs, contacting friends and others about upcoming climbs - Thursday afternoons and Fridays have rarely been about work for me in the past few years and me, and my work, are the better for it.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Next