Holy Cross Conditions ?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Holy Cross Conditions ?

Post by illusion7il »

I was thinking about going for Holy Cross Tomorrow. Does anyone have an update on the conditions since the recent precipitation. Also would would conditions on the road as well. Is anyone else planning on going up tomorrow ?
Birdie
14ers: 44 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Holy Cross Conditions ?

Post by Birdie »

There was no new snow Friday night or Saturday until I left around 5pm, despite the weather forecast. I do not know if there was any new snow accumulation Sat night/today, but there were a few people still up in that area who might be able to comment. Snow started intermittently on Holy Cross's standard route just above treeline, and was somewhat difficult to avoid starting around 12,500'. The snow along the trail was not deep, but it was slippery and icy at times. Microspikes and trekking poles would be helpful. There is snow on the summit as well, but still plenty large dry rocks to sit on.

There was no snow on the road up to the TH. It was completely dry.
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Holy Cross Conditions ?

Post by jmc5040 »

The prior post is very accurate regarding the standard route. The trail was packed in well so following it is not a problem. I descend the Halo Ridge and found similar conditions with sun baked snow which will lead to a bit of ice/crust on that route as well. Either route is in great shape, but I would definitely suggest coming with micro spikes. They would definitely help in numerous spots, but the routes can be done bare boot as well. The snow was melting yesterday so another day of sun will keep that process up. The Tigiwon road was basically dry as of last night (7 pm) minus a few avoidable puddles. A 2WD vehicle can make it to the TH with no problem. It takes a good 20 minutes to drive the road unless you really beat your vehicle. Have fun!
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/