Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hood or No hood? Softshell

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Carl wrote:
Johnson wrote:This whole Bean and Bean 2 deal is one the most disturbing things that has ever happened on this site.

Yeah, Bean 2, aka Bean crush, has a fake picture of me in his profile. I'm flattered, but also a little scared.

I thought that was the douche-bag from Napoleon Dynamite.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Postby CO Native » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:20 pm

I'm impressed with his ability to do a very good bean impression.

I'm sure he knew as well as any of us how bean would react to the term softshell being misused so he beat him to it.

Well played sir or ma'am.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

Postby Bean 2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:13 pm

Bean wrote:
JB99 wrote:Now we know what happened to Bean I - his head exploded after people refused to accept an accurate definition of soft shell and continued to recommend jackets that are not soft shells in a thread that just explained what a soft shell is within a few posts. Now I guess we're going to get a Bean III.

Nope, just a troll.

Nope. Sorry, not a troll.
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/

Postby RoanMtnMan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Oct-Apr = hood on any alpine shell layer in CO. May-Sept = save some weight and tough out the squalls, and bring a hat. Arcteryx Gamma MX works for me. The Bean thing is way more confusing.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby OnyourLeft » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:53 pm

Take a look at MontBell's stuff. Definitely a hood though.

Postby Alan Arnette » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 am

This review of softshells may provide some ideas http://www.gearinstitute.com/hiking/category/softshell-jackets

Postby dfrizzle » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:31 pm

+1 hood
hybrid though it may be, the marmot superhero may be what you're looking for...everything but completely waterproof. no pit zips but doesn't really need them as mentioned earlier. hood is removable. looks good on the streets and is more than adequate as a cape in the backcountry. they may be hard to find cause i don't think they make that jacket any more...at least find a removable hood.
One foot in and one foot back, but it don't pay to live like that.
So I cut the ties and I jumped the tracks, for never to return.

Postby SingleSpeed » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 pm

Well I found one finally. I ended up getting a GoLite Granite Creek. I really like the Wind River as well, but I thought I would be using it more often as a casual jacket instead of being active. I really liked the Marmot Granite, but it just did not fit well across my shoulder blades.

I decided to go hoodless for 2 reasons. 1) using it more as a casual jacket. 2) If I am in really bad weather I usually have my "hard" shell on and thought the softshell hood would be too bulky.

Thanks for all your input.

JJ

Postby RoanMtnMan » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:14 pm

dfrizzle wrote:+1 hood
hybrid though it may be, the marmot superhero may be what you're looking for...everything but completely waterproof. no pit zips but doesn't really need them as mentioned earlier. hood is removable. looks good on the streets and is more than adequate as a cape in the backcountry. they may be hard to find cause i don't think they make that jacket any more...at least find a removable hood.

I find the removable hoods to be less functional and less comfortable the longer that I am in them. But that is fairly minor. I do love pit zips though, when you can find them on a good shell anyway. I also do not buy shell pants without leg zips anymore. It seems like the gear manufacturers need to start visiting places like 14ers. We all seem to have basically the same desires. The venting issue is huge in places like Colorado.

jjack, for what you described, I think you made a decent choice. I would rarely carry a hard and soft shell unless I was on a multi-day trip though bud.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Previous