Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Your WORST summit photos?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Your WORST summit photos?

Postby SummitKathy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Hiking makes you hungry for just about anything. Here's Sean snacking on Conundrum. Not exactly a photo you brag about.
Attachments
asdfasdfsadf.jpg
Mmmmmm.... delicious!
asdfasdfsadf.jpg (194.83 KiB) Viewed 522 times
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.”-John Muir

Postby harrise » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Even has dogs in it!

Postby ajkagy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:27 pm

2008 Quandary Early March ski descent, near 0 degrees, camera almost frozen...also my first year on skis, I'm a fast learner :)
14er ski quandary 020.jpg
14er ski quandary 020.jpg (100.33 KiB) Viewed 479 times
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby bergsteigen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:34 pm

I learned a hard lesson on a winter trip up Triangle Peak in Alaska: camera shutters freeze when the temps drop to -20F
Attachments
frozen_shutter.jpg
Frozen camera shutter
frozen_shutter.jpg (126 KiB) Viewed 448 times
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby Tornadoman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:35 pm

SilverLynx wrote:Proof that I am sometimes fully clothed...

First one is from Torreys last November. Second one is from Sherman this past May.

The Torreys summit shot is awesome! The mountains look great in that shot with the nice bright white snow!

Postby TheOtherIndian » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:36 pm

bergsteigen wrote:I learned a hard lesson on a winter trip up Triangle Peak in Alaska: camera shutters freeze when the temps drop to -20F

I didnt know about this. But isnt it due moisture freezing? Maybe a ziplock bag will help?
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:40 pm

TheOtherIndian wrote:
bergsteigen wrote:I learned a hard lesson on a winter trip up Triangle Peak in Alaska: camera shutters freeze when the temps drop to -20F

I didnt know about this. But isnt it due moisture freezing? Maybe a ziplock bag will help?

I have the same problem. It gets too cold and the camera just taps out on me. I don't think they are designed to work at those temperatures. I've always wondered if they sell cameras that are... ??? Keeping the moisture off of it does seem to help but that's almost impossible when the wind is blowing snow and you have to take it out of the bag for a pic. I'd like a solution to this too. Bought a clear plastic cover for my camera but the cold made it turn brittle and crack! :(
"Find out who you are and be that person. That's what your soul was put on this Earth to be. Find that truth, live that truth and everything else will come."
~Ellen DeGeneres

"The only journey is the one within."
~Rainer Maria Rilke

Postby James Dziezynski » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Hike Humboldt in mid November he said. Won't be windy he said. Mystic the border collie is NOT impressed with our summit shot (and I have peanut butter on my face that looks like acne pox marks).

humboldt.jpg
humboldt.jpg (161.21 KiB) Viewed 406 times
Check out my book Best Summit Hikes in Colorado at http://amzn.to/WKkWOH

Postby bergsteigen » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:41 pm

TheOtherIndian wrote:

Maybe it was the moisture. But I no longer run around with a point and shoot film camera! That photo was from March 2003. Still it sucked to get home from the trip, send off the film, and get this back! Thankfully I took one of those fancy new digital 1MP cameras as a back-up!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby SeracZack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:42 pm

They have pictures from the top of Everest...

Pretty cold up there I imagine.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby marie123 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Ha, this is an awesome idea for a forum topic! We are always so focused on sifting through to find the best shots possible, this is a great change! I will have to sift through the dusty collection of bad photos and find a few of the worst!

Postby jrbren_vt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 pm

After summitkathy's photo, this thread is over. I got nothing after that.

I wanted to post to add that some of these "worst photos" are pretty cool IMHO.

Photos by Dancesatmoonrise (I think) with captions:
Longs Peak, North Face, March 2, 2011. No summit... and
Ken on a snowy North Massive summit, February 22, 2011.

have an artistic quality to them.

I like B[3]'s
Our summit photos from this trip don't do the day justice. This photo gives a good perspective of our trip to Culebra (boy were the views worth the money :lol: ).

as well.
Best Regards - John

PreviousNext