Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

A strange sensation...

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: A strange sensation...

Postby I Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:18 am

davebks wrote:interesting first hand account of the Manaslu accident
http://www.greghill.ca/pages/disaster-strikes-on-manaslu/

'The line was so thin today, many survived by pure luck,while their friends passed away. With adventure comes risk. But I wonder how many people who died yesterday fully understood the personal risk they were taking. Obsessed with the possibility of climbing one of the world’s highest mountains, our vision becomes clouded and we perceive the risk we want instead of the reality of what is around us."
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby Randy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:52 pm

There is a line that is crossed and you are a climber, for better or worse you climb, when your not climbing you think of climbing period, if a certain "incident" causes you not to climb for any length of time, then you havent crossed that line, (yet). I grew up climbing on MT. Washington in NH, while small in comparison to the 14ers, its brutal in the winter, -30 and beyond is considered normal conditions. We have deaths every year on the mountain, some years 2 or 3, Ive always climbed on the peak close after and it doesnt phase me as far as wanting to not go. What "incidents" that happen do, is remind me to stay focused, to realize that with all my experience and skill, the mountains can serve you a twist, you can be surprised and pushed to limit regardless of your mental or physical preperations. Luck is also a factor imo, yes luck, Ive had partners over the years that have called me very lucky, rockfall on big walls, avalanches (2) and yet I come out as good as I went in. The fact of the matter to me is this, as in life you can only control so much, then fate will lend its two cents, sometimes its a 7, some times its craps, either way, I would rather roll the dice on a mountain, then be sitting on my couch safe warm and bored with life. P.S. Im a christian I have alot of faith, when GOD wants me, Im ready, that being said, I hope its not for awhile, my list of peaks is still long. \:D/

Postby Crusty » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Bad juju to express thoughts like this. The God of the Mountains is Old Testament God. He doesn't f*ck around. He asked one of his faves to give up his kid for him (He later said He was just kidding). He'll knock you on your a*s if you're not careful.

Postby Scott P » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:20 pm

I'm familiar with Kelsey's books, but haven't run into any controversy surrounding him (or his books). What's the controversy about?

I won't go into details, but you can read about some of it in magazines and book reviews:

http://www.backpacker.com/april_1999_feature_michael_kelsey/articles/824

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Technical-Canyon-Hiking-Colorado-Plateau/product-reviews/0944510221/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Personally, other than clean canyoneering techniques (which I was one of the original ones to teach him those and helped talk him into using them more), I haven't had any problems. His books are mostly geared for the more experienced, but that doesn't make them bad. Some of the ethics used in canyons could be (and have been) improved though.

As far as bringing more people into the wilderness, certainly true, but the internet and other guidebooks have had at least as much effect lately and probably more.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby Randy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Crusty wrote:Bad juju to express thoughts like this. The God of the Mountains is Old Testament God. He doesn't f*ck around. He asked one of his faves to give up his kid for him (He later said He was just kidding). He'll knock you on your a*s if you're not careful.

God does not suscribe to "bad juju" and he is not vengefull either.

Postby Kiefer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Awwwwwwwww....Crap. :shock:
You had to go and drop the 'G' word.

Prepare for thread derailment....

"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby GregMiller » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Randy wrote:
Crusty wrote:Bad juju to express thoughts like this. The God of the Mountains is Old Testament God. He doesn't f*ck around. He asked one of his faves to give up his kid for him (He later said He was just kidding). He'll knock you on your a*s if you're not careful.

God does not suscribe to "bad juju" and he is not vengefull either.

I just hope that He/She/It/They like tequila, because that's what I've been pouring out on my summits as an offering...
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby Oldskool70 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Might be thinking about this from a 180 degree perspective. Instincts may be drawing from people to their reaction to a mundane life... versus an actual need to stimulate on such a high level.

I.E. I'd rather be 'really doing something' versus 'killing time' living a generic suburban-life... Then ya' get 'out there' & suddenly your fond of homes cozyness. I felt that before/during/after Desert Storm. Some ( a bit myself I assume) will probably fight back & forth with this their whole life. :-k
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby edhaman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:00 pm

"Bad juju to express thoughts like this. The God of the Mountains is Old Testament God."

Good thing I know that juju and The God of the Mountains are just superstition. It allows me to do something much better with my tequila!

Edit: To get back "on thread": I just watched "The Wildest Dream: Conquest of Everest." It says that George Mallory was inspired to be a mountaineer by the Scott Antarctic disaster.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Glen Plake was one of the survivors, and was interviewed on CNN last night. It's touching to see such a normally upbeat guy nearly crying.
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/09/27/ac-avalanche-survivor-horror.cnn
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/09/27/ac-avalanche-survivor-missing-comrads.cnn
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby highpilgrim » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:34 pm

edhaman wrote:Good thing I know that juju and The God of the Mountains are just superstition

Good thing you don't buy the whole superstition thing; your peak count is 13/13. The next one could be risky.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Postby edhaman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:37 pm

13 is lucky number.

PreviousNext