Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Winter ski mountaineering partners

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Winter ski mountaineering partners

Postby ulvetano » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:24 pm

(Pardon the copycat post, Mindy, but liked your post!)

I'd like to broaden my ski crew and get out with some new folks this winter -- to both learn and to teach! I consider myself to be an advanced skier, on the adventurous side and interested in skiing, climbing, and summitting peaks. I'm mid-way thru the 14ers and have only skied a few (Torreys, Sherman, Wilson, La Plata, Shav, Mizz, Quandary), but spend days in the IPW, Gores, and various Pass areas. Will certainly have days in 14er'land this Winter and am starting to get pumped for some snow.

Of course looking for partners with the obligatory gear and skills necessary for the conditions. Who's out there that wants to connect this season? Any goals? I'm not into lists and thus get pulled in every which direction, but hope to get after peaks in each range.

I'm also going to host a ski movie at my place in Boulder. Tentative date is Thurs, Nov 1st. Invite is open to the backcountry skier/ski mountaineering crew! (well...climbers too!) Let it snow.

PM or Post.

Cheers,
Chuck

p.s. I have an extra ticket to tonight's Bent Gate film that I'll sell to anyone that wants to get to the event tonight (it includes the swag bag! sweet!). Otherwise, just unloading it at the door.
Last edited by ulvetano on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Winter ski mountaineering partners

Postby jmc5040 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:26 pm

My goal this winter is to get out in the backcountry more with experienced individuals who I can learn from and also help them learn as well. I always try and go at things with a questioning attitude which I believe helps everyone learn better. I've taken avy I, read numerous books, and have all the necessary gear, but do have a lot to learn. As far as the skiing goes, I haven't encountered any terrain yet that I couldn't handle, but there are a lot of mountains out there! I use the term skiing, but I actually snowboard, so my means of travel are snowshoe so that leaves me a bit slower. I'm looking to get a splitboard, but from what I hear that isn't always as straight forward based on the terrain in hand. As far as goals, at this point my main goal is to learn, but I would like to ski more of the 14ers as well. I've done Grays and Torreys thus far, in addition to some good backcountry back in New England. Looking forward to this winter! :-D

Jordan
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby nkan02 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:19 pm

I am very interested. However, methinks I am not ready for calendar winter 14 descents yet (this would be my 2nd season). My plan is to be hitting low angle terrain (and resorts to work on skills) until late March, but then I would be game for some 35-45 degree 14er/13er fun. I've discovered my skis are just about perfect for spring corn conditions. I also would like to try ski Silverton this year (late in the season).

Postby tylermacguire » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:56 pm

I am always looking for new people to ski/ride with. I ride a split board and have ridden a couple 14ers and some 13ers. I have an Avy 1, gear and a somewhat flexible work schedule.

Postby jmc5040 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:31 pm

nkan02 wrote:I am very interested. However, methinks I am not ready for calendar winter 14 descents yet (this would be my 2nd season). My plan is to be hitting low angle terrain (and resorts to work on skills) until late March, but then I would be game for some 35-45 degree 14er/13er fun. I've discovered my skis are just about perfect for spring corn conditions. I also would like to try ski Silverton this year (late in the season).

I like your thinking, if your not too sure if your level is up to par to be out attempting a backcountry high peak descent, Silverton will ease the pain for you in a safer surrounding. Plus Silverton is just a lot of fun. I went last year for the first time as I had just moved out the summer prior and never had the opportunity to go there before. I'd highly recommend going guided and be prepared to ask good questions to get the most out of it. The guide I had offered a lot of good advice and was good to learn from.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby shaunster_co » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm always looking for others to ride with. I ride a splitboard with Dynafits and AT boots, and have been through Level One. I am typically in the IPW or RMNP area but it depends where the snow is best. I typically stay off of steep aspects until spring consolidates it. But occasionally if the conditions are right, I will do it any time. Would be fun to meetup with others for day trips or hut trips.

p.s. Chuck, always up to meet a fellow splitter. I too will be at the SSKP at Bent Gate tonight.

~shaun

Postby ulvetano » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Please, no knuckle draggers.

(just kidding!!...hoping my buddy Josh will see that!)

You guys have it harder than us 2-plankers in the BC, that's for sure.

Postby Snowgirl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm always happy to get out and about with new partners. I typically ski 40-60 days a season with 80% or more of that time spent in the backcountry, including a half-dozen 14er descents.

Winter is coming!!!
Such things for example as the grasp of a child's hand in your own, the flavor of an apple, the embrace of a friend or lover...sunlight on rock and leaves, the feel of music, the bark of a tree, the abrasion of granite and sand, the plunge of clear water into a pool, the face of the wind--- what else is there? What else do we need?
--Edward Abbey

Postby Mountain Woman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Fairly new to AT skiing. Not good with powder. Definitely up for more partners in the back country this winter who are okay with that. Also from Boulder. Looking forward to playing around in IPW this winter. Shaunster (who posted above) and I are about to head to the Bent Gate party. If you see this post by then, then you can look for either of us there if you care to chat. Me: grayish tights, skirt, purple jacket, long brown hair, and glasses - and shivering body,hugging self (in this drizzle).

Postby Bean » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Always happy to meet new people and partners. Really need to get out in the BC more this season too, last year was...bad.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

Postby EatinHardtack » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm always looking for new partners as well. Spend a lot of my time at the resorts but also get to Berthoud and Loveland a few times a winter. I got a nice list of descents for spring. Doesn't include all 14ers either as I am more interested in the line to be skied over the peak. I have two friends that I pretty much ski with every weekend but again still looking for others.

Postby thatnissanguy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I'll throw my name in the hat too. I started ski mountaineering last season and got out to the Gores, IPW, and RMNP several times in the Spring. My friends are more into rock climbing and mountaineering and I usually have trouble finding partners to ski with. Would love to meet some like minded folks.
“Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer.” - John Muir

Next