Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Hood or No hood? Softshell

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds
User avatar
Posts: 2146
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:18 pm

Some of the new hybrids are truly preferable. But to answer the OP, it depends on the intended use.

For two specific activites: winter mountain biking, and winter 14ering:

1. Alpine peaks: hood is preferable. You'll want it in high winds and cold temps.
2. Winter mountain biking: the hood is quite welcome on nasty winter days.
3. Around town, sub-alpine peaks: hood is often inconvenient.
4. Windstopper: Generally, the underlayers get wet when working hard. But see below.
5. Hybrids: Some of the new hybrids solve the problem. Breathable materials in the sides, Windstopper front and back.
6. What works: Marmot ROM (if it's a good fit.) All Windstopper garments get a little wet, but not much of an issue in the ones that work: dry quickly, and don't get chilled. Venta AR (not the LT) - hoodless jacket that works great. The materials and their distribution iin this jacket is perfect.
7. What doesn't work: The new Gamma MX is too breathable. You chill in the wind. (The old Gamma MX was a different material from a different manufacturer.) The Venta LT doesn't work. The Venta SV, a hooded jacket, is ok, but gets more wet than the other two. Works ok in very cold or windy conditions.
8. Some of the new hybrids are superior to a single-material garment which depends soley on a tight weave for its wind resistance/breathability.

User avatar
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Bean 2 wrote:
EmmaM wrote:I own this softshell and have been pleased:
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-cipher-hybrid-softshell-jacket-womens


That is not a softshell.



Bean 2,

I have a Marmot Genesis that is about 5 years old... tell me THAT is a softshell! [-o<
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Bean 2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Johnson wrote:
Bean 2 wrote:
EmmaM wrote:I own this softshell and have been pleased:
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-face-cipher-hybrid-softshell-jacket-womens


That is not a softshell.



Bean 2,

I have a Marmot Genesis that is about 5 years old... tell me THAT is a softshell! [-o<


That description wreaks of waterproof membrain. After all those years, you were never wearing a softshell. Sorry.

A true softshell doesn't need pit zips either.
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/

User avatar
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Bean 2 wrote:
Johnson wrote:
Bean 2 wrote:Bean 2,

I have a Marmot Genesis that is about 5 years old... tell me THAT is a softshell! [-o<


That description wreaks of waterproof membrain. After all those years, you were never wearing a softshell. Sorry.

A true softshell doesn't need pit zips either.



Humm.... I know think the new ones may have a membrain and they also purport to be "waterproof". I don't think mine has a membrain and I know is wasn't advertised as waterproof or windproof.... Please? 8)

Oh... and to add to the OP... HOOD!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Bean » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:18 pm

JB99 wrote:Now we know what happened to Bean I - his head exploded after people refused to accept an accurate definition of soft shell and continued to recommend jackets that are not soft shells in a thread that just explained what a soft shell is within a few posts. Now I guess we're going to get a Bean III.


Nope, just a troll.
gdthomas wrote:Bean, you're an idiot.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com

User avatar
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Bean wrote:
JB99 wrote:Now we know what happened to Bean I - his head exploded after people refused to accept an accurate definition of soft shell and continued to recommend jackets that are not soft shells in a thread that just explained what a soft shell is within a few posts. Now I guess we're going to get a Bean III.


Nope, just a troll.



So "Bean 2" wasn't you Bean? Then can you answer my questions from above? I need REAL info man! :cussing:
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Bean 2 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Johnson wrote:
Bean wrote:
JB99 wrote:Now we know what happened to Bean I - his head exploded after people refused to accept an accurate definition of soft shell and continued to recommend jackets that are not soft shells in a thread that just explained what a soft shell is within a few posts. Now I guess we're going to get a Bean III.


Nope, just a troll.



So "Bean 2" wasn't you Bean? Then can you answer my questions from above? I need REAL info man! :cussing:


Real info from a real person = Your Marmot is NOT a real softshell.
gdthomas wrote:

Bean, you're an idiot 2.

http://throughpolarizedeyes.com/

User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:35 pm

OMG! Does Bean 2 have a goatee?

Image
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

User avatar
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:11 pm
Location: Centennial, CO

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Floyd » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Dave B wrote:OMG! Does Bean 2 have a goatee?

Image


You gotta go this way with the "Evil-Twin"

evil-twin.jpg
evil-twin.jpg (13.54 KiB) Viewed 330 times
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason

User avatar
Posts: 1363
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Johnson » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:48 pm

This whole Bean and Bean 2 deal is one the most disturbing things that has ever happened on this site.
Last edited by Johnson on Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:44 pm
Location: Fort Collins

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Dave B » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:49 pm

The 'Hoff definitely makes the better twin.

Here's Bean 2's suggested new avatar.

Evil Bean.JPG
Evil Bean.JPG (29.17 KiB) Viewed 300 times
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

User avatar
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun May 20, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Golden

Re: Hood or No hood? Softshell

Postby Carl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

Johnson wrote:This whole Bean and Bean 2 deal is one the most disturbing things that has ever happened on this site.


Yeah, Bean 2, aka Bean crush, has a fake picture of me in his profile. I'm flattered, but also a little scared.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BHallDDS, EatinHardtack, GregMiller, kaiman, lamedork and 9 guests