Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

First Fourteener Suggestions

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: First Fourteener Suggestions

Postby Randy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:56 am

I hiked in the Whites of NH for many years before moving to CO for the 14ers. heres's the differences from a NH perspective.
1. Altitude is the crux of every route if your from the east. I aclimated by doing hikes to 11,000ft or so and ALWAYS sleeping at the trailheads ( which sit around 10,000ft).
2. No routes in the east match the class 3 and class 4 routes on the 14ers. ( ok maybe hunningtons ravine standard route, but thats a short version at best). Tuckermans standard route is nothing like a class 3 route on the 14ers).
3. You can camp in alot more places out west, most approaches allow camping bootleg style which is non-existant in NH.
4. You must keep in mind THUNDERSTORMS on the 14ers are a constant and real threat, my rule of thumb that I never break, summit by noon, even if that means an alpine start.
5. The 14ers are a drug, the more you do, the more you need. :lol:

Postby zephyr_pelicante » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:39 am

Randy wrote:The 14ers are a drug, the more you do, the more you need. :lol:

Yes, please beware of this real and constant danger.

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:45 am

Randy wrote:I hiked in the Whites of NH for many years before moving to CO for the 14ers. heres's the differences from a NH perspective.
1. Altitude is the crux of every route if your from the east. I aclimated by doing hikes to 11,000ft or so and ALWAYS sleeping at the trailheads ( which sit around 10,000ft).
2. No routes in the east match the class 3 and class 4 routes on the 14ers. ( ok maybe hunningtons ravine standard route, but thats a short version at best). Tuckermans standard route is nothing like a class 3 route on the 14ers).
3. You can camp in alot more places out west, most approaches allow camping bootleg style which is non-existant in NH.
4. You must keep in mind THUNDERSTORMS on the 14ers are a constant and real threat, my rule of thumb that I never break, summit by noon, even if that means an alpine start.
5. The 14ers are a drug, the more you do, the more you need. :lol:

I've done around 90+ of the Northeast 115 club, and the "getting off the peak by noon" (i.e. hitting the trail in the dark sometimes) is the hardest adjustment I had to make. :-D
http://www.thepeakbaggingapp.com. Track your climbs on hundreds of lists. It's super cool (and free), for iOS and Android devices.

Postby Randy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:42 am

I hear you Im in NH now and I rarely hit the trail before 8am. Sounds like we have eaten alot of the same dirt in NE, Ive been out alot this summer Im somewhere around 2000 4k's, although its taken a few years. \:D/

Postby LetsGoMets » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Randy wrote:I hear you Im in NH now and I rarely hit the trail before 8am. Sounds like we have eaten alot of the same dirt in NE, Ive been out alot this summer Im somewhere around 2000 4k's, although its taken a few years. \:D/

It's where I grew up! I was in Burlington, VT - so very easy access to the Adirondacks and the Whites. :)
http://www.thepeakbaggingapp.com. Track your climbs on hundreds of lists. It's super cool (and free), for iOS and Android devices.

Postby Michael56 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:54 am

To All who gave suggestions:

My daughter Katie and I went to the Sangre De Cristo range thinking we'd climb Crestone Peak but leaving options open. Her Subaru wagon made it all the way to the upper trailhead in the rain--impressive! A storm was passing through, and a search and rescue team had been deployed to find a couple of people lost on Humboldt. We camped near the lakes and summitted Humboldt the next day (after assessing everything we thought it prudent to not overextend ourselves, a wise choice). The area is stunningly beautiful, the weather was perfect and we had an incredible time. So glad we chose the Crestones. A bit dizzy at the top, otherwise the altitude wasn't bad. The overall round trip length from the trailhead was probably the toughest part. Can't wait to do another one (it is a powerful drug), I think we'll try to squeeze in Blanca Peak before the snow flies. Any thoughts or feedback on Blanca are appreciated, such as can we drive a subaru wagon all the way to the upper trailhead?

Take care and thanks for all the input. Mike & Katie.

Postby Tornadoman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Access to Blanca Peak is from Lake Como Road which is probably the most difficult road to any 14er. Without a modified jeep or ATV you cannot make the upper trailhead. We parked our Corolla at 8,000 feet when doing this route in July, and most 4WD's parked below 8,800 feet, which is still several miles below the lake. I don't think you can get the subaru beyond that point, so expect a long hike!

Postby Above+Beyond » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:04 pm

If you're not interested in Little Bear, you might get ideas checking out geojed's trip report "Alternate Route For Blanca/Elllingwood - Via South Zapata Lake": http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12100&parmuser=geojed&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include
And beauty will go savage in the secret mountains. - Robinson Jeffers

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm

I drove my Subaru Forrester to 8800 on the Lake Como Road last weekend but really regretted driving above 8000. That road is just horrible. There were a couple of oil dripping trails from punctured oil pans all of the way from 8700 to Lake Como, just to remind me why I should have parked at 8000. It is tough on hikers too so if you found the approach to Humbolt challenging, you will not like the approach to Blanca. The scenery and climbing is awesome after you reach Lake Como.
Last edited by DaveSwink on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 am

I doubt you'll find Blanca as much fun as Humboldt. The road is a total slog.

You might like Mt Ouray (high 13er) from Grays Creek TH, off Marshall Pass road south of Poncha Springs. The circuit around the Devil's Armchair is one of my all-time favorite routes, and it's an excellent aspen hike. You can camp at the trailhead or hike in a bit if you wish - I'm pretty sure there are campsites along the creek in the first mile that would work OK. Great bristlecones at timberline, too.
Here's the way I descend: http://www.summitpost.org/east-ridge/157250
My ascent route is up the obvious ridge on your right after you get into the cirque.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Michael56 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:37 pm

Above+Beyond wrote:If you're not interested in Little Bear, you might get ideas checking out geojed's trip report "Alternate Route For Blanca/Elllingwood - Via South Zapata Lake": http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12100&parmuser=geojed&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Little Bear might be too technical for us? Not sure....but I'll check this out.

Postby Michael56 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:38 pm

Jim Davies wrote:I doubt you'll find Blanca as much fun as Humboldt. The road is a total slog.

You might like Mt Ouray (high 13er) from Grays Creek TH, off Marshall Pass road south of Poncha Springs. The circuit around the Devil's Armchair is one of my all-time favorite routes, and it's an excellent aspen hike. You can camp at the trailhead or hike in a bit if you wish - I'm pretty sure there are campsites along the creek in the first mile that would work OK. Great bristlecones at timberline, too.
Here's the way I descend: http://www.summitpost.org/east-ridge/157250
My ascent route is up the obvious ridge on your right after you get into the cirque.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Previous