Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ed Viesturs Speaking in Golden

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Ed Viesturs Speaking in Golden

Postby SeracZack » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:01 am

AlpineDude wrote:So... our offices are in the same building and we have a private deck. What does everyone think about a 14er.com pre-party happy hour kind of thing before the show? I'll buy the beer.

This sounds like a great idea. Woody's after for those interested?
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Postby I Man » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 am

SeracZack wrote:
AlpineDude wrote:So... our offices are in the same building and we have a private deck. What does everyone think about a 14er.com pre-party happy hour kind of thing before the show? I'll buy the beer.

This sounds like a great idea. Woody's after for those interested?

Double like.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby SurfNTurf » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 am

Got tickets, and I work in Golden (off at 5). Definitely down for any sort of pre-game.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 am

Dave B wrote:
Fletch wrote:Not a big fan of Ed's books or his business...

Glad to know I'm not alone.

Stupid Ed Viesturs - being on the Board of Directors for an organization that helps mentor kids through the great outdoors
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:03 am

Fletch wrote:
J-RockandRockpile wrote:Stupid Ed Viesturs - being on the Board of Directors for an organization that helps mentor kids through the great outdoors

Doesn't prevent him from being a douche. I said I was going to give the guy a chance. Just haven't had good experiences in the past. Everyone has their reasons...

Touche, Touche
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby Randy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Ive been to one his lectures and met him after, he seemed ok to me, but then again it was a 5 minute meeting. Hey the guy can climb, its fun to hear adventure stories. Ever see that IMAX film he's in? He's high on Everest climbing alone with no O'S, you can hear him sucking for air and using the rest step, pretty dam inspirering to me. In the end he's just a climber not ghandi, just go and have fun. On a side note, I met Doug Scott the britt in boston once, now that guy is an ass kicking machine and wicked humble and nice. Having broke both, not one, but both of his legs high up on the ogre, he asked his friends to leave him, they refused, they dragged him for days while he smiled and smoked the whole way, f***ing hard core.

Postby Kiefer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Met Viesturs once under the conditions. I only had like a few minutes in Boulder. But, it HAS to be irritating to some degree
doing these lectures and getting hit and inundated with questions, autographs...
Fine line me thinks between getting a paycheck and keeping one's sanity.

I've met most of the people on Ghost Hunters (Sci Fi Channel). All of them, except Jason seemed pretty cool and willing to talk.
Even Ben Hammond (Fact or Faked) was awesome to talk to.

Everyone is right. Some folks have bad days, more irritated sometimes, gladly willing to talk to fans on others.
Ed is gonna be no different.
"Wisdom comes from making mistakes.
Experience, is the knowledge of knowing what to do when one makes a mistake and wisdom,
stems from the changes we go through while learning from those mistakes."

Postby smoove » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Kiefer wrote:Everyone is right. Some folks have bad days, more irritated sometimes, gladly willing to talk to fans on others.

Got the chance to meet Alex Honnold briefly a couple weeks ago at the Reel Rock Tour. He had an endless line of fans waiting for poster signings and picture ops. Refreshingly, the guy cheerfully indulged his fans and had a great sense of humor to boot! Speaking in front of a large crowd clearly isn't one of his favorite things, though.

I've never seen Ed speak, but I'm looking forward to asking him multiple questions about his role in Vertical Limit.

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Just got our tickets. It will be interesting to see how many cars will have 14ers.com stickers!
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:44 pm

Kiefer wrote:Everyone is right. Some folks have bad days, more irritated sometimes, gladly willing to talk to fans on others.

I like my celebs cold and calculated. :-s
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby pflegerc » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 pm

I like this idea. After as well. I get off @3:30 and will be traveling up from Centennial thereafter. Would be fun to meet some more 14er members over some brews. I will obviously chip in for that as well, or I can stop at Thirsty's on the way. Keep me in the loop!
Some people have Gods, I have the Mountains. Regardless, neglect either for too long and you will get lost.

Postby Tatra » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks so much for posting about this awesome event! Wanted to meet and listen to Ed for a long time! Jay and I will be there. I am starting a new job in Golden that week and could definitely meet for a drink before the show!

PreviousNext