Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby jeremy27 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:50 pm

I'm in. Should be a good time.

Postby nedryarson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Wow thanks for the quick replies! I've done the Loveland Pass 13ers (Grizzy/Cupid) in the winter without spikes/poles but I know Quandary will be a different animal with so much more vertical and distance. I'll be looking forward it!

Postby smoove » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:27 pm

nedryarson wrote:Wow thanks for the quick replies! I've done the Loveland Pass 13ers (Grizzy/Cupid) in the winter without spikes/poles but I know Quandary will be a different animal with so much more vertical and distance. I'll be looking forward it!

In a way, I think Grizzly/Cupid are harder (with snow anyway) than Quandary because of the additional gain you have to do on the way back. But you'll soon be able to decide for yourself!

Postby kimo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:Image
Quandary Peak summit, 2009.

I would like to thank Steve Gladbach for the inspiration of the tradition, when took five of us newbies up Quandary on
Halloween weekend, 2009. Steve has not only been a pioneering influence in Colorado mountaineering, but has selflessly
devoted much of his time helping others achieve their mountaineering dreams. Steve, a huge thanks from all of us.

I'll drink to that, Jim. A huge thanks to Steve Gladbach! That day set my future in motion. It was a pleasure to meet everyone who was on that hike, and it's been a pleasure to hike with each of you since then. It was a day in the hills that I will never forget. It looks like, once again, a great group is forming for numero cuatro. I urge anyone who is on the fence to go. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. My birthday falls right around that date, and, as in the past two years, I'll probably be heading out of state to climb some obscure peak in the middle of nowhere. Although this time it might not be so obscure. It's my big 4-O...gotta make it special. I hope everyone has a special time at the welcomer.

Postby BKullman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:54 pm

This was definitely a good time last year, despite the wind gusts...I'll have to get out of work a few hours early that morning and make the drive over.

Postby bergsteigen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:02 pm

I could be in. I have to be showered, dressed in fancy garb and on stage for a concert at 6pm in Boulder. So if the weather is good and I can make a quick exit....
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby flutter_girl » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi there,

I'm new to 14ners.com, but not to Colorado and 14ners. I'm interested in getting my winter legs going. I took winter camping last year with the CMC, so I would be up for some snow camping too.

Crystal

Postby lindazco » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:48 pm

I'm interested, but am waiting to hear back regarding a potential conflict that weekend. I haven't participated in any climbs with the 14ers org, but I have taken some mountaineering classes with the CMC and want to get out and use my skills, as well as meet new climbing partners.

Postby Kitten » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:28 pm

We plan to make it this year, so count us in. We would we up for some snow camping too (we have done it before but it's been a while now), should be fun!
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby michaelgrundy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:15 am

I believe that I am in! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Postby SolarAlex » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:26 am

ill definitely be there. sounds like a blast.

Postby jbchalk » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:27 am

I believe Kristine & I will try and make this one. Looking forward to meeting many of you!

Brandon

PreviousNext