San Juans this weekend

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
catspajamas
14ers: 4  2 
Trip Reports (0)

San Juans this weekend

Post by catspajamas »

I'm looking into doing Handies, Sunshine/Redcloud and Uncompahgre this Fri-Sunday. Is a dusting of snow enough of a factor to worry about? Also, shoot me a message if you're interested in joining.
CMCMG
14ers: 57 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: San Juans this weekend

Post by CMCMG »

We hiked Red Cloud, Sunshine and Handies one Saturday a few weeks back and it seems to me if you take the standard route on them you shouldn't have any major issues. Although upon decent of Sunshine we took one of the couloirs for a more direct return to the truck. I can see how one of these couloirs could prove problematic if slick with some snow. Be careful.
Uncompahgre is a long walk and it is better to hike it earlier than later when thinking about the coming snow. If the Farmer's Almanac is right and we have a big snow year, I sure would aim to hike the behemoth before the snow settles in. Via con Dios!
Life is deep and simple. What society gives us is shallow and complex. -Mr. Rogers