Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Report your 2012 List Completions!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Report your 2012 List Completions!

Postby cftbq » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:53 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:Actually, several people here with GPS have reported Challenger's true prominence is only on the order of 270 feet.

Aha! So it may have been a double fudge...
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby SurfNTurf » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Teresa. I was wondering how to go about doing this. I just submitted mine.
Many Miles to Go (Blog)

“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper

Postby Jim Davies » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:54 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:Actually, several people here with GPS have reported Challenger's true prominence is only on the order of 270 feet.

GPS units aren't very good at elevation measurement; note that many people's GPS units have reported that Mt Ouray is a 14er also.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby cftbq » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Jim Davies wrote:

GPS units aren't very good at elevation measurement; note that many people's GPS units have reported that Mt Ouray is a 14er also.

I've learned to distrust the elevation figures from my GPS unit, too. It usually reads high, but it's usually about the same amount high. Accordingly, I think it's fair to assume that, on any given day and in any given area, the difference between any two closely-spaced measurements will be fairly reliable. Thus, the elevation difference between a saddle and a nearby summit should be determinable with fairly good accuracy.

Postby Teresa Gergen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:43 pm

cftbq wrote:
Teresa Gergen wrote:The author of the 14er article will select from any text and photos she receives to compose the article, and the Trail and Timberline editor will have layout space to take into consideration as well. Make sure you indic

Do I detect the very careful use of the third person here?

Since Bob Martin's passing a few years ago, I submit the "Beyond the 13ers" list, and keep the records for the 12er milestones (beginning with the Highest 700) and beyond. Linda Crockett keeps the 14er Files and writes that article each year. Chris Ruppert and Dave Goldwater cover the 13er milestones in between. The new editor of the Trail and Timberline is Christian Green.

Postby cftbq » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Teresa Gergen wrote:Since Bob Martin's passing a few years ago, I submit the "Beyond the 13ers" list, and keep the records for the 12er milestones (beginning with the Highest 700) and beyond.

I bow in recognition of your awesome fitness for this position... =D> RIP Bob Martin.

Postby Teresa Gergen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:17 am

Bump. Please see the original post. Deadline is one week from today. Let your friends who've completed lists know! Thanks!

Follow-up Re: Report your 2012 List Completions!

Postby Teresa Gergen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Here are the pages from the Winter 2012 Trail and Timberline (the Colorado Mountain Club's publication) showing the 14er, 13er, and 12er category list completers. Congrats to all!

IMG_5402.JPG
IMG_5402.JPG (120.89 KiB) Viewed 429 times

IMG_5403.JPG
IMG_5403.JPG (96.97 KiB) Viewed 429 times

Postby Mindy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for posting this Teresa. 800 highest peaks..... wow. Congratulations to all!

Postby Mountain Ninja » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Question about those pages:

The top entry on the fourteeners page, #1437 Buzz Frum, seems to have finally submitted his fourteener completion stats this year, even though he finished in 1966. (An amazing accomplishment, might I add!)

But, what's confusing me is: the top entry on the 100 Highest Peaks, Paul Johnson, is #60. Then everyone following him starts their numbering at 192. Who was #60 in the previous pages, and why did Paul Johnson get the #60 spot, instead of #191 (or #192)?
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Fun with karate weapons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4kyfjGBiQ

Postby bob863 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:29 am

Congrats to all of the 2012 "finishers"!!!!

I've made a personal decision to not "declare/list" my 14'ers on this web site....

Good luck to all of you who are attempting to complete all (pick your number) 14'ers....

Postby bob863 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:41 am

most gps's don't report accurate elevation/altitude.....most pilots realize they have to set their altimeters to their local airport's current barometric pressure to obtain an accurate reading....

PreviousNext