Bierstadt North Face Gully Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Bierstadt North Face Gully Conditions?

Post by SikYou »

For anyone that has been up there in the past day or 2. Is there a lot of snow? I am hitting the north face gully on Thursday and I'm hopeful for some snow. I'm greedy so I'll go ahead and ask for pictures as well as verbal reports of what the standard route trail looks like. If you could please included direct shots of the north face gully I would appreciate it :lol:

(Please understand the sarcasm in my post. Now hurry up with those pictures!)

Thanks! [-o< [-o<
I'm slower than Scott P.
ed20320
14ers: 56  10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Bierstadt North Face Gully Conditions?

Post by ed20320 »

i'm not sure of the snow conditions, but if there isn't any or at least a healthy amount, consider waiting. I've been up that face numerous times and i can't imagine doing it without the snow. Its an awesome training climb and it has a few alternatives if the face conditions aren't favorable.

Good Luck,

Ed
Defy Gravity
SikYou
14ers: 24 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SikYou »

Thanks for the info Ed. I'm gonna head up there in the morning and take a look. I'm hoping that Thursday morning+cooler weather+snow=less crowded :shock:
I'm slower than Scott P.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

ed20320 wrote:i'm not sure of the snow conditions, but if there isn't any or at least a healthy amount, consider waiting. I've been up that face numerous times and i can't imagine doing it without the snow. Its an awesome training climb and it has a few alternatives if the face conditions aren't favorable.

Good Luck,

Ed
Let me satisfy your imagination...it sucks without snow. Did it once and have no real drive to do it again.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
ThuChad
14ers: 31  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ThuChad »

metalmountain wrote:
ed20320 wrote:i'm not sure of the snow conditions, but if there isn't any or at least a healthy amount, consider waiting. I've been up that face numerous times and i can't imagine doing it without the snow. Its an awesome training climb and it has a few alternatives if the face conditions aren't favorable.

Good Luck,

Ed
Let me satisfy your imagination...it sucks without snow. Did it once and have no real drive to do it again.
I'm not sure what's worse, the gully or the willow swamp. I'd rather go back over the sawtooth and reascend Bierstadt than do that mess again.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

ed20320
14ers: 56  10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ed20320 »

"I'm not sure what's worse, the gully or the willow swamp. I'd rather go back over the sawtooth and reascend Bierstadt than do that mess again."

do it in the winter, snowshoe across the frozen swamps and avoid the whole willow thing. much easier.
Defy Gravity