Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Should we cancel or change the date due to winds?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:04 pm

1. Let's not cancel. Winter and wind go go together. Still down for Saturday!
53%
2. Yes, let's cancel. Gusts to 55 mph are not my idea of a welcomer. Besides, I'm not very experienced, and I'd like something mellow to start out.
5%
3. I'd really like to go, but maybe conditions will be better next weekend. I'd be down for Nov 3 or 4.
43%

Total votes : 80

Re: Fourth Annual 14ers Winter Welcomer!

Postby 14erAddict » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 am

SurfNTurf wrote:I learned the basics of winter mountaineering on a similar hike (January Quandary IV), and I had a lot of fun returning the favor at last year's Winter Welcomer. I'm definitely in again. Especially since I missed the Fall Gathering...

I'll stick to the standard route, since the main point of this is the social/educational atmosphere. In fact, if anyone wants to hike in a short ways Friday night and go over the basics of snow camping, I might just hate myself enough to be talked into it.

I just might have to talk you into camping then ;)

Count me in!
"In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks" - John Muir

Postby Upstate Hiker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:55 am

I am a maybe. I might be out of town that weekend.

Postby kushrocks » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:56 am

SurfNTurf wrote:...I'm definitely in again...I'll stick to the standard route, since the main point of this is the social/educational atmosphere...

Good call Jeff. I will most likely be there and would love to help some new members summit their first peak in the snow . . . . provided you are dog friendly. I suppose the big question now is where is the after party? :iluvbeer: \:D/

Looking forward to it.
Ryan
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Justin9 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 am

Sounds fun. Count me in.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:23 pm

I Man wrote:Anyone interested in the Inwood Arete???

Yes.

Kinda like Quandry, got all the established routes except this one.

Last gathering a few of us did the West Ridge, good times.
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby I Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:26 pm

FireOnTheMountain wrote:
I Man wrote:Anyone interested in the Inwood Arete???

Yes.

Kinda like Quandry, got all the established routes except this one.

Last gathering a few of us did the West Ridge, good times.

Awesome man!! I did the West Ridge back in December (first time I met Aaron) and it was a blast, but no need to repeat it.

I think we might be 3 if you join, but you are most welcome. Let me know!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby nedryarson » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 pm

In previous years, have people had success without trekking poles or microspikes? I want to check this out but don't have either and am not really in a good spot to invest in new gear at this point. This question will probably draw some laughs - any reason you couldn't just use ski poles?

Postby smoove » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:27 pm

nedryarson wrote:In previous years, have people had success without trekking poles or microspikes? I want to check this out but don't have either and am not really in a good spot to invest in new gear at this point. This question will probably draw some laughs - any reason you couldn't just use ski poles?

I really like being able to adjust the length of the poles depending on uphill or downhill and the steepness. I also like being able to compress the poles for easy carrying on my pack when I don't feel like using them. Otherwise, ski poles would work just fine.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Another one I'll have to miss since it's during elk (rifle) season. :(
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Brian Thomas » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:29 pm

nedryarson wrote:any reason you couldn't just use ski poles?

No. I use ski poles ($10 on Craigslist) on winter hikes. The collapsible trekking poles are good when the route takes you up class 3+ terrain and you don't stash your poles.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:30 pm

nedryarson wrote:In previous years, have people had success without trekking poles or microspikes? I want to check this out but don't have either and am not really in a good spot to invest in new gear at this point. This question will probably draw some laughs - any reason you couldn't just use ski poles?

Deadly Nedly! Dude, great to see you're making it. You bet, ski poles work great. Spikes can be helpful, but not absolutely necessary.

Warm hiking boots with decent tread should work fine. I usually use spkes for the descent, since that's where slips seem more likely. If you use the poles and take some time and care, there's nothing terribly steep. Conditions can vary, but usually it's packed snow; not too loose or too icy.

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm

Back in the olden days, before the internet, we didn’t have micro-spikes. Crampons are generally considered over-kill for the standard route on Quandary. Ski poles function the same as trekking poles. You just can’t adjust them.

How icy will depend on the snow fall and weather the previous few weeks. After a fresh snow the traction is usually better than after the melt –freeze cycle of a few sunny days. The melt – freeze cycle is what makes most of the ice on the trail.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

PreviousNext