Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

winter hiking

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

winter hiking

Postby mstirling » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:21 pm

For those of you who have experience hiking in the snow, what 14ers would you recommend hiking this winter? Best and safest?

Re: winter hiking

Postby GregMiller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:26 pm

I've been looking at this list for some good info:

http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14ers-in-winter/337648
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

Postby kushrocks » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:30 pm

tylermacguire wrote:viewtopic.php?t=37784&p=454998#p454998

This is for Quandary which is a great starter peak to hike your first time in the snow. There will be a ton of us going and you are more than welcome to come if you like.
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby jmc5040 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:33 pm

This was from the other day and includes some info...

http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37748&p=454336#p454336
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby Tory Wells » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 am

Why does it have to be a 14er? If you've never done much hiking in the snow, maybe you should start with some lower elevation peaks to gain some knowledge on gear selection and snow travel. Winter hiking is a totally different animal than summer hiking. Some good ones near Denver are the Flatiron Peaks in Boulder (Green, Bear, SoBo) and Bergen Peak near Evergreen. If you've not yet experienced the wind and blowing snow above treeline in a Colorado winter, it's definitely something you need to plan ahead for.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby DaveSwink » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 am

Tory Wells wrote:Why does it have to be a 14er? If you've never done much hiking in the snow, maybe you should start with some lower elevation peaks to gain some knowledge on gear selection and snow travel. Winter hiking is a totally different animal than summer hiking. Some good ones near Denver are the Flatiron Peaks in Boulder (Green, Bear, SoBo) and Bergen Peak near Evergreen. If you've not yet experienced the wind and blowing snow above treeline in a Colorado winter, it's definitely something you need to plan ahead for.

+1 for winter hiking! I would add on Twin Sisters and Wild Basin in RMNP as awesome next-steps-up after the Boulder peaks. If you have not been above treeline in winter before, going to the top of Twin Sisters will be an eye-opener.