winter hiking

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mstirling
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (0)

winter hiking

Post by mstirling »

For those of you who have experience hiking in the snow, what 14ers would you recommend hiking this winter? Best and safest?
tylermacguire
14ers: 29  2  1 
13ers: 12 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: winter hiking

Post by tylermacguire »

http://14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... 98#p454998" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

I've been looking at this list for some good info:

http://www.summitpost.org/colorado-14er ... ter/337648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

tylermacguire wrote:viewtopic.php?t=37784&p=454998#p454998
This is for Quandary which is a great starter peak to hike your first time in the snow. There will be a ton of us going and you are more than welcome to come if you like.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
jmc5040
14ers: 58  38  1 
13ers: 30 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jmc5040 »

This was from the other day and includes some info...

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 36#p454336
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

http://berthoudpass.org/
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

Why does it have to be a 14er? If you've never done much hiking in the snow, maybe you should start with some lower elevation peaks to gain some knowledge on gear selection and snow travel. Winter hiking is a totally different animal than summer hiking. Some good ones near Denver are the Flatiron Peaks in Boulder (Green, Bear, SoBo) and Bergen Peak near Evergreen. If you've not yet experienced the wind and blowing snow above treeline in a Colorado winter, it's definitely something you need to plan ahead for.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Tory Wells wrote:Why does it have to be a 14er? If you've never done much hiking in the snow, maybe you should start with some lower elevation peaks to gain some knowledge on gear selection and snow travel. Winter hiking is a totally different animal than summer hiking. Some good ones near Denver are the Flatiron Peaks in Boulder (Green, Bear, SoBo) and Bergen Peak near Evergreen. If you've not yet experienced the wind and blowing snow above treeline in a Colorado winter, it's definitely something you need to plan ahead for.
+1 for winter hiking! I would add on Twin Sisters and Wild Basin in RMNP as awesome next-steps-up after the Boulder peaks. If you have not been above treeline in winter before, going to the top of Twin Sisters will be an eye-opener.