Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Graffiti on Sherman - found Saturday

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Graffiti on Sherman - found Saturday

Postby Cesar » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:51 pm

I am Cesar Barriga, the most hated person on this chat. I just wanted to thank Matt for reaching out to me. I really didn’t think when I marked the rock at Gray’s. I really realized how bad and brainless was my action when I read all your comments. I agree 100% and I apologize with all of you, mountain lovers and with Colorado. It was stupid. You have my commitment to help to educate people as dumb as me and help to maintain the beauty of our mountains.

Regards to all and again, please accept my apologize. Thank you for being as active in protecting something we all love.

Cesar Barriga

Postby rking007 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Cesar wrote:I am Cesar Barriga, the most hated person on this chat. I just wanted to thank Matt for reaching out to me. I really didn’t think when I marked the rock at Gray’s. I really realized how bad and brainless was my action when I read all your comments. I agree 100% and I apologize with all of you, mountain lovers and with Colorado. It was stupid. You have my commitment to help to educate people as dumb as me and help to maintain the beauty of our mountains.

Regards to all and again, please accept my apologize. Thank you for being as active in protecting something we all love.

Cesar Barriga

Thanks for taking the slice of humility to not only listen to Matt, but to then register and come on here to apologize. I, for one, forgive you. Now go climb another mountain!
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby zdero1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:26 pm

Cesar wrote:I am Cesar Barriga, the most hated person on this chat. I just wanted to thank Matt for reaching out to me. I really didn’t think when I marked the rock at Gray’s. I really realized how bad and brainless was my action when I read all your comments. I agree 100% and I apologize with all of you, mountain lovers and with Colorado. It was stupid. You have my commitment to help to educate people as dumb as me and help to maintain the beauty of our mountains.

Cesar Barriga

Try not to be so hard on yourself, Cesar. Some on here have said you would think not writing on rocks would be common sense, but as someone who has never fully appreciated the outdoors until a few years ago, I wasn't really aware of LNT (leave no trace) principles myself. A little education and outreach goes a long way and that's awesome you plan on contributing to LNT outreach. It takes a stand-up guy to own up to something like this and it speaks to your character. Hope to see you on the trail.

Postby BeastoftheEast » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Cesar: Thanks for your honesty. I'm curious if you know whether graffiti on summits is common in Colombia. Is this sort of tagging customary? What about other countries in South America? The reason I ask is because I hiked Vulcan Santa Maria, near Xela, Guatemala, last spring and saw extensive graffiti, much of it from recent years, on and near the very popular summit—dozens of rocks and boulders covered with names, initials and phrases painted in many different colors. It pissed me off, but in trying to respect Guatemalan culture and traditions, just as I would expect someone from Guatemala visiting or living in this country to try and respect ours, I kept my mouth shut.

Is it possible that you mistakenly committed an act that is acceptable in your native country but unacceptable here? If so, do you think your promised efforts to try and educate could have an impact not only here but in your homeland as well?
The beast is in all of us. And so is the best.

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Cesar Barriga

Not hated from this end, Cesar. You get kudos for registering and joining this fine group of hikers and climbers. There is good information here, and you can impart your knowledge that is welcomed by most everyone here, including me. Question is - what took you so long? Bill has had this site up for about 7 years. Then again, I was slow to join. Have a great time in the high country and on 14ers.com.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby TallGrass » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:48 pm

BeastoftheEast wrote:Is it possible that you mistakenly committed an act that is acceptable in your native country but unacceptable here?

I saw some interesting "graffiti" down in Mexico on one of my bike trips. In Baja there were some rock formations by the road now and then. One was a large dome, so someone painted it to look like a big green turtle. Another that had a flat face near the ground had man and woman kind of like a Mexican trying to do their version of a classical nude (but not as skilled). There was the usual graffiti too. Another "form" was Catholic prayer sites. Sometimes they'd have a little hut in the middle of nowhere, but other times you'd be riding up switchbacks in Chihuahua and a small natural alcove had been filled with candles, rock painting and the like. I do think standards and practices vary by culture and area.

Cesar, if you go hiking again, bring a sharpie... and a piece of paper and a camera. Jot down whatever you want on it, place it by the benchmark (summit marker) with a stone or two on it to keep it from blowing away, snap a picture and pack out the paper after putting the rocks back. You can post the pic here or FB and it can live in "digital eternity." If you know what you want to say ahead of time, print it off on your computer first (shows thoughtful planning ahead; don't chicks go for that?). If you see someone else up there, they will almost certainly be happy to take a pic of you holding it (so you get the background peaks) with your camera.

Also, if you can't decide between Carla, Juanita, or Rosa, you can print off one for each (better than photoshopping), take three separate pics, and go with the one who give you the most favorable reply.when you send it to her. Don't mix them up! I've seen Latin soap operas -- damn those chicas can be fierce! :lol:
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Scott P » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm curious if you know whether graffiti on summits is common in Colombia.

It is on the peaks I have been to in Colombia.

What about other countries in South America?

Seems to be common on all the summits in Latin America. Mexico, Guatamala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, Venezuela, etc. Chile I don't recall any, but I've only climbed a few mountains there.

Unless a mountain is covered in glaciers or is very remote, things like crosses, graffiti, busts, or monuments or any combination thereof are very common there.

This is El Pital (El Salvador/Honduras), for example:

I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby RosieTheSummiter » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:46 am

Mark A Steiner wrote:Not hated from this end, Cesar. You get kudos for registering and joining this fine group of hikers and climbers. There is good information here, and you can impart your knowledge that is welcomed by most everyone here, including me. Question is - what took you so long? Bill has had this site up for about 7 years. Then again, I was slow to join. Have a great time in the high country and on 14ers.com.

Not hated from this end, either. I applaud the fact that you owned up to this. And in actuality, considering some of the events that have happened this year on the trails, this one kind of pales in comparison. Although no one likes it, it's not like the graffiti was directly harming someone. Besides, Sherman is an ugly mountain anyway (I kid, I kid!) Now if someone were to touch Longs, Elbert, Massive, Holy Cross or Humboldt to name a few, I might just then have to pull out my can of whoop ass...and then there would be new threads on the forum about whoop ass, and then it would just be a mess from there. Ok enough talk from me, I think I'll go hiking now...see you all on the trails!
"Don't get mad, get altitude."

Postby mtn_hikin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:13 am

RosieTheSummiter wrote:
Mark A Steiner wrote:Not hated from this end, Cesar. You get kudos for registering and joining this fine group of hikers and climbers. There is good information here, and you can impart your knowledge that is welcomed by most everyone here, including me. Question is - what took you so long? Bill has had this site up for about 7 years. Then again, I was slow to join. Have a great time in the high country and on 14ers.com.

Not hated from this end, either. I applaud the fact that you owned up to this. And in actuality, considering some of the events that have happened this year on the trails, this one kind of pales in comparison. Although no one likes it, it's not like the graffiti was directly harming someone. Besides, Sherman is an ugly mountain anyway (I kid, I kid!) Now if someone were to touch Longs, Elbert, Massive, Holy Cross or Humboldt to name a few, I might just then have to pull out my can of whoop ass...and then there would be new threads on the forum about whoop ass, and then it would just be a mess from there. Ok enough talk from me, I think I'll go hiking now...see you all on the trails!
can-of-whoop-ass.jpg
can-of-whoop-ass.jpg (106.07 KiB) Viewed 394 times

Postby boudreaux » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 am

Doesn't seem to be a just a Colorado thing, I saw a large rock on Pebble Beach in Carmel, CA with some punk's name from NJ. All I could do was just roll it over and bury it, that was hard work too!
Ragin Cajun

Postby tlongpine » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:53 am

Listen. I didn't drive my SUV on a graded road to 12,000 ft, park next to a pile of mine tailings, hike past the Dauntless Mine, then the Hilltop Mine, up and across a slope of more rubble left behind by forgotten mining operations, only to find some punk w/ a Sharpie spoiled this pristine landscape.

Let's ask ourselves - if we weren't all counting to 54/58 would you consider Sherman a hike worth making?

Instead of losing our collective cool we could be making Sherman a hike worth making. Something like Salvation Mountain. I'd hike to the summit of Sherman if this is what awaited me:
CANILsalvation28edit.jpg
CANILsalvation28edit.jpg (13.68 KiB) Viewed 342 times

To that end, I'm making the large collection of leftover paint in my garage available to anyone here. For you to use, you know, however. you. see. fit. :-"
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:57 am

tlongpine wrote:Let's ask ourselves - if we weren't all counting to 54/58 would you consider Sherman a hike worth making?

Yes. I've hiked it many times in all seasons and don't care about ticking lists. I can always find something interesting on a Colorado mountain, even Sherman.
Only SNOW will end the madness

PreviousNext