Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Report your 2012 List Completions!

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Report your 2012 List Completions!

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Duffus Kentucky Climber wrote:No, No, No, Mooney and Theodore. I get to be the most pathetic. Not only was Antero my only summit this year, my wife was with me. IT TOOK TWO PEOPLE TO CLIMB ONE 14ER!!!!!

Mine was with me too! We were engaged on Elbert, so we've tried to do a 14er each year as a quasi honeymoon trip. This year it was La Plata, last it was Yale.

Back on topic, if I can sneak in a trip and the weather holds, I might try and tag Longs, then maybe Pikes once snow is down. Would like to be done with the front range, although I want to climb Pikes and Longs every which way.

Postby shredthegnar10 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:26 pm

If we submit a photograph, should it be of ourselves on top of a 14er, or just any photograph taken on a 14er?
There's a fine line between being a badass and being a dumbass.

ACONCAGUA STYLE

Postby cftbq » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:52 pm

Jim Davies wrote:Carol & I finished the named-but-unranked 14er list this year (North Eolus, Conundrum, North Maroon, El Diente, Cameron). I propose we call it the "Middlebrook Society", since this site is responsible for enlarging "the list" to 58 peaks. :mrgreen:

What about Challenger Pt.? NW Massive (Hunter-Fryingpan Wilderness HP)? S Massive? Seems to me, if you're going to include Cameron, then all of these (at least) deserve to be included, too. I used a list of 59. And then, of course, there are W and W Wilson, S Elbert, E La Plata, N Snowmass, NE Crestone (a tough climb!), S Little Bear, and others, all of which have names. Where, really, to draw the line??
I have been to the mountaintop, and I have seen the force
and the power that animates the universe. That may not
match up with your anthropomorphic or teleological idea of
what "god" is, but it's good enough for me.

Postby Mooney Pilot » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:16 pm

cftbq wrote:
Jim Davies wrote:Carol & I finished the named-but-unranked 14er list this year (North Eolus, Conundrum, North Maroon, El Diente, Cameron). I propose we call it the "Middlebrook Society", since this site is responsible for enlarging "the list" to 58 peaks. :mrgreen:

What about Challenger Pt.? NW Massive (Hunter-Fryingpan Wilderness HP)? S Massive? Seems to me, if you're going to include Cameron, then all of these (at least) deserve to be included, too. I used a list of 59. And then, of course, there are W and W Wilson, S Elbert, E La Plata, N Snowmass, NE Crestone (a tough climb!), S Little Bear, and others, all of which have names. Where, really, to draw the line??

I think each person draws the line at wherever that person wants to draw the line.

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:19 pm

North Massive would be “Roach Society”
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Jim Davies » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:26 pm

cftbq wrote:What about Challenger Pt.? NW Massive (Hunter-Fryingpan Wilderness HP)? S Massive? Seems to me, if you're going to include Cameron, then all of these (at least) deserve to be included, too. I used a list of 59. And then, of course, there are W and W Wilson, S Elbert, E La Plata, N Snowmass, NE Crestone (a tough climb!), S Little Bear, and others, all of which have names. Where, really, to draw the line??

"Named" means officially named, by the USGS. Challenger is both officially named and ranked. And yes, I know your opinion of government. :)
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:39 pm

cftbq wrote:Where, really, to draw the line??

Duh, at 300 feet.
Last edited by TravelingMatt on Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby cftbq » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:35 pm

Jim Davies wrote:"Named" means officially named, by the USGS. Challenger is both officially named and ranked. And yes, I know your opinion of government. :)

Hey, my only government-related quibble here is the USGS's policy of not allowing the naming of anything in a wilderness area, which includes most of the 14ers. Before the establishment of wilderness areas, they accepted many colloquial names as the official name, after sufficiently long use, but no more. "North Massive." for instance, is a well-recognized name, but not "official," merely because the USGS apparently wants to freeze time. For the most part, I think the USGS is a pretty sensible agency (ATC), but if they can suddenly approve "Challenger Point" to pacify clearly political persuasions, then there's no reason why they can't recognize reality and approve some more grouind-based names that everyone recognizes. And Challenger can only be called ranked if one waives the usual isolation requirement. This, too, sounds like politics at work to me...

Postby trishapajean » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 pm

So excited to put my name in the completion list for CMC and get to go to a party, awesomeness abounds!!

Postby Teresa Gergen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:03 pm

shredthegnar10 wrote:If we submit a photograph, should it be of ourselves on top of a 14er, or just any photograph taken on a 14er?

You can submit a photograph relevant to your 14er climbs. The author of the 14er article will select from any text and photos she receives to compose the article, and the Trail and Timberline editor will have layout space to take into consideration as well. Make sure you indicate what/who is in the photo. If the photo was taken by someone else, you should probably include that info. For all completions lower than the 14ers, only a list showing the finisher information is printed, no article or photos.

Here is a link to the Winter 2011 Trail and Timberline. The list completion articles are on pages 20-21 of the PDF file, or page 36-38 of the actual print publication.
http://www.cmc.org/Upload/ArticlesDirectory/30.pdf

The CMC has traditionally recognized 54 14ers, including unranked North Maroon and El Diente. The Highest 100, etc milestones consist of only ranked peaks (those with 300 ft of prominence), and thus include Challenger, but not North Maroon and El Diente. However, the 14er list has varied over the decades, and the generally accepted criteria for finishing the list has changed with it.

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:20 pm

cftbq wrote:And Challenger can only be called ranked if one waives the usual isolation requirement.
[/quote]

Actually, several people here with GPS have reported Challenger's true prominence is only on the order of 270 feet.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby cftbq » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Teresa Gergen wrote:The author of the 14er article will select from any text and photos she receives to compose the article, and the Trail and Timberline editor will have layout space to take into consideration as well. Make sure you indic

Do I detect the very careful use of the third person here?

PreviousNext