Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

The Best Hiking Shoes

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: The Best Hiking Shoes

Postby geojed » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:41 am

About 2yrs ago I discovered that North Face Valence GTX XCR shoes were somehow made specifically for my wide, tailor's bunnion prone, feet. North Face stopped making that model so I was able to find them on clearance online and bought myself 6 more pairs of them before they were gone! :-D They have a Vibram sole that I wish would be a little thicker and thus last longer but they are my go to hiking/climbing shoes. If I know that I'll be doing a lot of off-trail talus hopping then I'll wear my Asolo Sasslong Wide boots for foot protection.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

Postby Jeff Valliere » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:24 pm

Personally, I have found medium weight trail running shoes (9-12oz range) to be the best for just about all my needs in the mountains. I have different pairs for different purposes, but only use boots if I plan to use crampons for an extended period or when it is really cold and snowy (but still often times use trail runners for those times as well).

Everyones foot/preferences are different and advancements in footwear are a constant, so finding just the right shoe will be a constantly evolving process. Fit and comfort are paramount, support, rock protection and traction are key too. Keep an eye on sales and if you find a pair you just love, buy a few pairs. Steep and Cheap has some good deals from time to time, along with REI and your local running store. Good luck!

Postby Duffus Kentucky Climber » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 pm

We met a guy on Antero this year wearing a pair of those minimalist, barefoot running shoes that had less sole material than my bedroom slippers, and even they were worn thin. He had hiked the entire Baldwin Jeep road in those to summit. Meanwhile, I was wearing boots that could go to the moon. He didn't seem too uncomfortable. I'm such a wuss.
It looks like the ridge is just right up there!

Postby nkan02 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:59 pm

I need the ankle support so I like Vasque Breeze Gore-Tex XCR for summer hiking in Colorado. They last about 40 14ers and they don't like getting wet! But they are extremely comfy, breathable and have great traction. I will be getting my 3rd pair soon.

Postby painless4u2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Backpacker magazine had reviewed Teva Forge Pro Mid eVent Leather and was favorably impressed, so I tried a pair this summer during a week of 14ers. I found them to be very light, comfortable, waterproof, have good traction ("Spider 365 Rubber"), and really breathable, thanks to the eVent liner. I felt like I didn't want out of them at the end of a hike, which says a lot. Downsides? The rubber rand at the toe is beginning to lose contact with the leather, so a little glue is in order. I'd buy these again, however.
In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9

Bad decisions often make good stories.

Postby kaiman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:45 pm

+1 on the La Sportiva Boulder X. I have used mine for general hiking, climbing 14ers/13ers, Class 3-4 scrambling and canyoneering and they work great. I especially love how well they work when hiking on slick rock in the desert or when scrambling up loose talus or scree slopes.

kaiman
"I want to keep the mountains clean of racism, religion and politics. In the mountains this should play no role."

- Joe Stettner

"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end."

- Edward Whymper

Postby climbingaggie03 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:56 pm

I love the salomon XA trail runners, they have a goretex and a non gore tex version so there's flexibility there. I find I can do alot in winter with the goretex shoes.

Postby TeamTayberry » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 pm

Another vote for the hoka one one stinson evo's.

Postby Tory Wells » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:23 pm

This question always comes up but the truth is, everyone has different anatomy and different desires, so everyone will want a different shoe. It's kinda like asking what toothpaste is the best. The best shoe is the one that works the best for you. Or maybe it's a boot. Do your research , ask around at REI or Boulder Running or Bent Gate. Also know that the high peaks are very tough on footwear so don't expect any shoe to last forever.

I will say that La Sportiva makes good shoes/boots that are made for the alpine. But of course they may not be right for you.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby bandofbrothersomaha » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:24 pm

+1 for the Solomon XA Pro trail runner. Lightweight yet rugged. Gortex and lacing system is a plus. Great traction. I will not go back to a boot for hiking 14ers.

Postby Corn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:42 pm

I know i don't have the check marks like many of the others here, but i put many sub alpine miles on my Salomon XA 3D ultra's. On my 4th pair now and will continue with my 2 year purchase cycle of these great shoes!

Postby broncotw » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Good luck so far with Lowa.....
Ted from TEXAS!

PreviousNext