Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Class 3+, Solo or partner?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

Re: Class 3+, Solo or partner?

Postby SES_17 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:11 pm

I've always considered my "policy" in line with FCSquid which is, anything class 3+, get a partner. But just as others have mentioned, the more famillar you get with the terrain, the more comfortable you are on it. So who knows...
I'm suprised by the lack of responses touting the wisdom of teaming up on harder routes. I'm only on this site maybe once a month but from reading other posts and TRs, I fully expected to hear more about the dangers of going solo.
Thanks for all of the encourgement and suggestions. I remember first reading a TR on Kelso ridge thinking "that route looks like a blast!" so I'm shooting for that next spring/summer and I'm sure I won't be going solo.
If you can't fix it with duct tape... it's broke.

Postby edhaman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:01 pm

Full disclosure: I did Father Dyer last summer on the recommendation of Jim Davies. So the credit really goes to him.

Postby uwe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 am

I love soloing. I love groups.
Some groups love for me to solo.

A good question to ask yourself:
What are the consequences if something happens to me while on the climb alone? Throw that into your decision making funnel.

Solo Itinerary:
(I know this has been said before, but a reminder can't hurt.)
Build and leave your detailed itinerary with someone who cares about you coming back, - so don't send it to your ex - and set a 911 call time.
If no word by X time, your person who cares about you calls 911 and reports the details on the itinerary.
ID your car and TH location, your route, expected ascent/decent times and emergency contacts. Keep a copy of the itinerary in your vehicle where it can be easily found. Take your cell phone. Call if you can from the summit which will give your contact a point of reference if an emergency arises.

False security in gear and technology:
Spot and GPS are good tools. Won't be worth much if you are injured and unable to use them.

My vote:
Going solo is cool until you get nailed and wish you had a partner to help you out of your jam. Err on the side of caution. If soloing is the goal, lots of places to go without Class ++. Coulda, woulda, shoulda are not words you want to be your last.

Finally:
We're able to make choices for ourselves. Choose wisely and live longer.

Postby tehchad » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm

I would say solo. I've run into so many people that tend to tense up and freeze in sketchy situations. I just don't take them if I don't know the "tough" parts.

Previous