Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Postby vonmackle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:36 pm

rking007 wrote:Question though, what do you do in those situations where the alpenglow is casting crazy dark shadows? Not totally black but dark enough to loose the detail in the shadows and therefore the depth of those areas? Example, your shot at 6:45?

I usually start using a Graduated 3 stop ND filter about 20-30 minutes before sunrise to help balance the brightness of the sky with the rest of the shot. Then sometimes in post processing with Lightroom I'll add a little fill light and/or use the brush adjustment to get some details back out of the shadows, but I didn't do that with these shots.

rking007 wrote:Lastly, which of these shots is your favorite and why? Or are you working on one that you didn't show that will blow all the others away? :-D

My favorite is the 6:18. I love the light and the soft shadows 20-30 minutes before sunrise. This light is great for black and whites as well.

And no, I don't have another secret mind blowing super photo I'm working on. Those were the best I got.
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby vonmackle » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Kane wrote:Hope you don't mind if I jump in here.

You're welcome to jump in anytime, Kane. Thanks for the alpenglow info!
"To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable." -Ludwig van Beethoven

Postby Kane » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:59 pm

I’m feeling the Gore Mountains these days. Boy do I love reliving old memories! I know the Gores ring with rugged peaks, beautiful tundra and swift streams of life, so why not head to what I know works.

Let alone try something different?

“Zodiac Ridge,” an unforgettable name, which originates from the stellar view from the Willow Lakes area. When a ridge of rock that connects two great mountains, gets its own name that usually means there’s gonna be something to look at…. Zodiac Ridge connects the great Red Peak to the equally great “East Thorne.” Both peaks show off an elite silhouette when descending the I-70 corridor from Eisenhower to Silverthorne. All of you have seen this view.

After the 7 mile approach I set up a tent at the upper Willow Lake area. I concentrated on the stream area in between the upper lake and the lower lake. I wanted to capture the oranges and reds of the beginning fall season at alpine elevations. When I arrived, I realized there where solid greens outlining the stream, which blended well with the reds and oranges. Combining all of the foreground with the Zodiac Ridge, made for a nice evening and morning of photography.

Techs: "Hints of Fall" & "Ripples and Reflections" are two image Canon 24mm tse stitch's, a top image and a bottom image stitch, thus creating a 12mm wide with zero distortion. The top image is a hand blend of three exposures to overcome dynamic range problems that all cameras can't handle. All images are shot at 5.6, the sweet spot for resolution. The bottom image is a focus stack of 3 images at F5.6 to convey a 3D feel. Then add some selective color, curves and a tad bit of NR, then its done!

BTW, "Ripples and Reflections" includes a lucky Cutthroat Trout stricking the water surface for dinner!

After all that, I think I captured what I saw that evening, I hope you feel my moment.

http://www.kaephotography.com/gallery/zodiac/

Postby rking007 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 pm

So what's my point? Alpenglow by the above definition is some super sweet light that a cameras sensor just eats up (on a tripod... of course). Don't blink, because this light usually lasts for maybe 3-4 minutes in the morning and 5-10 minutes at night. The light is so soft that pretty much any sensor on any camera can pick up the dynamic range. We're talking about a super even flow of light throughout your frame that renders shadows and highlights evenly. The end product is mostly incredibly pleasing to look at. A really well done alpenglow shot usually takes the trophy over the rest. Thus is the reason you like Vonmacle's lovely image at 6:18. That's an alpenglow image!

Well there you go, learn something new everyday. I had always thought it was the red/orange light right after.

Techs: "Hints of Fall" & "Ripples and Reflections" are two image Canon 24mm tse stitch's, a top image and a bottom image stitch, thus creating a 12mm wide with zero distortion. The top image is a hand blend of three exposures to overcome dynamic range problems that all cameras can't handle. All images are shot at 5.6, the sweet spot for resolution. The bottom image is a focus stack of 3 images at F5.6 to convey a 3D feel. Then add some selective color, curves and a tad bit of NR, then its done!

After all that, I think I captured what I saw that evening, I hope you feel my moment.

I think I get what you are saying by a focus stack but could you expound on that a bit? Also, are you stitching in Photoshop or do you use software. I love those shots by the way I definitely felt it! :-D
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Postby Kane » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:14 pm

Rking, focus stacking is shooting multiple images at a sharper f stop, using various focus points, then aligning and blending in photoshop. It's a learned technique, so it can take some time to get the exceptional results. When done right it's a show stopper.

I use PTGUI 7.2 pro for all my stitching. Ive never used anything else and will never update. It's that good in my opinion. I also use a pano head, and shift lenses to maximize usable image canvas.

Postby pvnisher » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Kane wrote:Techs: "Hints of Fall" & "Ripples and Reflections" are two image Canon 24mm tse stitch's, a top image and a bottom image stitch, thus creating a 12mm wide with zero distortion. The top image is a hand blend of three exposures to overcome dynamic range problems that all cameras can't handle. All images are shot at 5.6, the sweet spot for resolution. The bottom image is a focus stack of 3 images at F5.6 to convey a 3D feel. Then add some selective color, curves and a tad bit of NR, then its done!

So you're saying that the final product we see on your website is a composite of 6 individual shots?
Now I know why my shots always look so crappy compared to the best ones, even if the composition is good. ](*,)

As a total photo noob, are there some free software tools I can get just to play around with the HDR, focus stacking, stitching, and all the other things I had to Google to find out what they were?

Postby Mark Curtis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Postby kimo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Ghosts at the edge of the world.

Postby Mark Curtis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Great shot and title, Kimo! The branch silhouettes reminded me of this shot I took at the aptly named "Summit Lake" on top of Buffalo Pass a couple of mornings ago:

Which was preceded by this one at the same place:

Postby HikerGuy » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:13 pm

Willow Lake, September 19, 2012. Had the place all to myself (along with some does). Taken with an iPhone 4.

willow_lake_alpenglow.jpg
willow_lake_alpenglow.jpg (295.15 KiB) Viewed 240 times

willow_lake_sunset.jpg
willow_lake_sunset.jpg (231.29 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Postby Tory Wells » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:14 pm

THE BEST sunset I have ever seen: Half Moon Bay, California.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby geojed » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:58 am

Fiery Sunrise and Sunset on Redcloud bookend a day of bagging 5 Centennials in the San Juans.
Attachments
IMG_2047.jpg
Redcloud....errrr...looking very "Red" with morning alpenglow.
IMG_2047.jpg (109.28 KiB) Viewed 857 times
IMG_2130.jpg
Sunset on Red Cloud, "Sundog" and Sunshiine
IMG_2130.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 857 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
• The best climber in the world is the one who’s having the most fun.— Alex Lowe
• Why do I climb the mountain? Because I'm in love! — The Captain

PreviousNext