Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

FAQ and threads for those just starting to hike the Colorado 14ers.

Re: Opinions: Best 14er to finish on...

Postby mattpayne11 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am

I was just about to say "I can't believe no one else has said Pyramid" then I see Rijaca has =)

I loved finishing on Pyramid - just a perfect mountain to end on - the view is insane.

I would have been happy to finish on Capitol or Holy Cross too - those are just sweet summits.

Pikes would be good for that "family factor."

My 2 cents.

Postby Fisching » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:43 am

Mt. Cameron
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."

"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."

"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."

Postby Presto » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:13 am

by gregory_fischer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:43 am
Mt. Cameron

:lol: :-"
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby Sgt_Wilky » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:41 am

I chose to save San Luis for my finisher. I would love to bring up my three boys and some friends with me!
"The merit of an action lies in finishing it to the end" -Genghis Khan

"I sat on top and was immediately addicted. I must do more of this." -SuperPolok

"A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's." -Jean Paul Richter

Postby Scizzo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:51 am

emcee smith wrote:Based on a recommendation from Doggler, I finished on Pikes, with 7 of my most frequent hiking buddies, via the Barr Trail. Stayed overnight at the camp and rented the 10? person cabin. The trail was easy enough to pack beer, Red Bull for the camp, and champagne for the summit, and I think that we all had a lot of fun

^^^I'm hoping to have an experience like that for my finisher.

Pikes via Barr Trail was the first 14er I ever attempted. I was 17 years old and had no idea what I was doing. I brought cotton shorts, a cotton long sleeve t-shirt, no jacket, no food, minimal water, started at 7:30, and hiked as fast as I possibly could. By the time I got to Barr camp I was shivering and ready to pass out. That being the case, I think Pikes via Barr Trail will be the best way for me to finish... feels like it would be a great way to reflect on all I've learned over the years. Plus, it will be great to have my family meet me on top!

Postby climbingbiz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:16 am

I went with Chicago Basin for my last trip and finished with Sunlight. It was a great choice in my opinion because it's such a long beautiful trip with the train ride. In the course of doing all the peaks my finisher changed 3 or 4 times, but that's what I ended up with and loved it.

Postby Scott P » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:24 am

More or less, which 14ers I have done first and last depended on the distance from wherever I was living and/or working.

The biggest exception was that I finished the Sawatch before the Elks because the Sawatch typically have safer winter routes (winter is when I did the majority of the Sawatch Peaks).

My first 14ers were Sneffels, Wilson Peak, Mt Wilson and El Diente because I was working in Naturita/Telluride at the time and they were the closest.

Now that I live in Craig, with the exception of Snowmass (which will probably be next), more or less, the rest of the 14ers I have left are the farthest ones from my house so it could be any one of those and which one is last doesn't matter to me much.

I imagine Culebra will probably be my last since it’s farthest from my house and everyone has to pay to climb it.
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby edwasserman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:46 pm

fleetmack wrote:Can't speak for a finisher as I don't plan on finishing them, but I can tell you which one to do second-to-last.

Columbia. My opinion is that one should only climb this once that person is positive he or she will climb all of the 14ers, but don't do it last, because you want to enjoy your final 14er.

Leave Columbia for the end and you won't want to hike any more!

Postby Tory Wells » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:02 pm

edwasserman wrote:
fleetmack wrote:Can't speak for a finisher as I don't plan on finishing them, but I can tell you which one to do second-to-last.

Columbia. My opinion is that one should only climb this once that person is positive he or she will climb all of the 14ers, but don't do it last, because you want to enjoy your final 14er.

Leave Columbia for the end and you won't want to hike any more!

Columbia's a lot of fun from the Three Elk TH/east ridge. Just like Antero's a lot of fun on the Little Brown's Creek route. It's all what you make of it.

Bross, however, is boring from all angles/approaches. :mrgreen:
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach

Postby markhingston » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:09 pm

This is a very helpful discussion, especially for those starting out to do the list. As Whymper said: look to what may be the end! For those of us who have been at this for a while (22 years for me), I think it's important to finish in a way that let's you celebrate with those you have left behind while you hike and who have helped make it possible. Who do you leave your route information with, just in case? Who got a camp fire started after the rain stopped? Who is still sore because you persuaded them to backpack up Longs and camp at the Boulderfield? Who still has white hair because of the thunderstorm that chased you off Tabeguache? Who still hasn't had a decent answer to the question - why do you disappear in the dark so early on Saturday morning? Who put beer in a cooler in the car we left at the trailhead?

Pikes and Evans have to top the list for that purpose. As it has worked out, the best way for me to celebrate will be to finish on South Maroon - don't leave the hard ones for later! - because the other 10 on my list are too hard or too far for those who have helped me out. So, I will be picking up a 14er-sized dinner tab in Aspen if and when I get it done.
Solvitur ambulatum.

Postby irish95 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:14 pm

My friend and I finished on Pikes, the day after climbing South Maroon. A nice relaxing way to finish and mmmm donuts at the top. With coffee. Followed by some nice IPA. Good day.

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:22 pm

Southeast Longs after a night of heavy drinking and little sleep.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

PreviousNext