Aspens & 14ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CaptPenner
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Aspens & 14ers

Post by CaptPenner »

Hey everyone,

I usually get to Colorado to hike at the end of July or first of August. However, I was flying over the area to day at 39,000 and saw all the Aspens with a low sunset lighting them up! WOW!! I thought I may try to head out there later next year (around this time of the year) to try and catch the Aspens changing and get a 14er or two in at the same time. Which 14ers have the most Aspens around, or are best for Aspen color viewing?

Thanks
Scott
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Aspens & 14ers

Post by jaymz »

The standard route up Shavano starts through a nice Aspen grove. I imagine you can't really go wrong with much of the Sawatch.
If you just want to see Aspens and not necessarily hike through them, Guanella Pass from Georgetown is a classic Aspen drive, and the Bierstadt TH is right there at the top of the pass.
EDIT: I typed the original message from my phone, so I wasn't able to see that you had already summited Bierstadt :)
Last edited by jaymz on Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptPenner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CaptPenner »

I bagged 'B' this year, but didn't get the Sawtooth to Evans. Maybe that will be the plan next year! Thanks
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Sneffels, any of the Wilson group, the Maroons, Capitol, the East Ridge of Elbert.
Agree with Shavano, lots of aspen around the beginning of the trail - tho haven't seen it in the fall.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I am sure that MANY of them are nice this time of year. My wife and I thought they were quite nice on Antero... here is a trip report from our Monday climb with some pictures. http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
aliciaf
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 1
Trip Reports (9)

Post by aliciaf »

I did Elbert via the East Ridge last October and the trail starts out in a beautiful Aspen forest.

This year I did Redcloud/Sunshine and Handies in the San Juans and the trees on the access road to the Silver Creek TH and in the beginning of the trail were gorgeous.

I'm sure many of the 14ers have great fall colors this time of year. One I can say that doesn't is Longs. I was there on Wednesday and there were hardly any Aspen trees in the forest.
Last edited by aliciaf on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

La Plata was good for the first part of the hike last weekend. You walk right through a little Aspen forest.. got some good pics.
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

+1 on LaPlata (from Winfield). Belford/Oxford/Missouri have plenty, too.

When I did LaPlata a few years ago, there was a a carpet of yellow and a tunnel of orange and yellow leaves.

Aspens along 390 are popping right now.

Also, the loooong drive to San Luis goes through numerous groves.
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

Those are all great suggestions for areas to visit if you want to climb and view the incredible fall colors. How neat that you got to see it from the air. Were you able to get any photos?

If you aren't planning to be here this year, here is a good link to look at as you plan your visit: http://www.parks.state.co.us/Pages/Fall.aspx

The colors are really popping down in the SW part of the state right now, but everything seems to be a bit early this year (likely due to the prolonged drought periods). Remember that heavy rain or wind and/or an early snowstorm can strip everything quickly.

Here's a link to a story on a Denver TV channel: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/09/17/a ... this-year/ If you are going to wait until the last moment to book your flight, you should keep checking the Denver TV station websites. They really like to keep people updated on the peak viewing opportunities.

On a personal note: The best part of running this time of the year is the crazy kaleidoscopic carpet on the trails!!
rocky
south fork, colorado
rocky
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rocky »

Scott,

Here is the link to 9News's Fall Colors page: http://www.9news.com/weather/outdoors/f ... fault.aspx
rocky
south fork, colorado
CaptPenner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CaptPenner »

Rocky, Thanks for the links, those are great. A photo would not have done it justice, just took a mental photo and continued eastbound.

Sunny, is Holy Cross the only one you have left? You have been a busy little hiker. Uncompahgre with you and your husband is still my favorite climb. Thanks for the recommendations.
godsnthemtns
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by godsnthemtns »

+1 la Plata