Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

HEADLAMPS: My brain now hurts - need input

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing. Gear Classifieds

HEADLAMPS: My brain now hurts - need input

Postby herdbull » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:05 am

Geesshhzzzz...... after a few hours online searching for a new headlamp I'm more undecided then when I started. I didn't think it would be this difficult. I checked some local stores yesterday and they all pretty much carried the normal use, everyday, cheaper headlamps that would work for most stuff around here (Midwest).

I currently have an older Tikka XP. It's time for an upgrade. After seeing other people on the trails this fall I have "light beam envy". My unit is just not performing up to the task anymore :shock: . It's underpowered, lacks brightness and the beam is not all that great.

I'd like to keep it under $75. Burn time is probably the first on the priority list, followed by brightness with lightweight a close third as I will use this for night running. I'm not really looking for something to do 27 different tasks or light options, maybe 2-3. Something with a flood, spot and maybe a very low output for long burn times. I came across a Mammut Lucido TX1 and like the looks of it. Any other lights of choice you guys use and have had good luck, bad luck or other?

The local gear store tried selling me a BD Spot. Looked "ok" but I wasn't blown away. The Icon right next to it was nice but too heavy. I would take something like the Icon with a little less brightness to save weight. Also most of these don't appear to be waterproof. I don't mind running or hiking in the rain so I'm going to need something to stand up to that. Not sure if my current Tikka is waterproof but it has worked for years.

Any input is appreciated.

Re: HEADLAMPS: My brain now hurts - need input

Postby TomPierce » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 am

I believe the Mammut Lucido TX-1 you mentioned has been discontinued (?), but I think you can still find new units on Amazon, etc. That aside, I've used it in all seasons in a variety of settings (e.g. pitch black nights in winter above treeline) and I have yet to find a headlamp that is its equal. The combination of design (rotating lamp unit that protects the bulb when not in use), burn time on the high setting, excellent beam throw (105m?), lightweight, etc. Not complicated to use, just a few useful settings. I'm a big fan.

-Tom

Postby speleo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:23 am

If you are interested in a Mammut Lucido TX1 see http://www.rei.com/product/829577/mammut-lucido-tx1-headlamp-2011-closeout - price is $29.93 + shipping, etc. Hit the REI link on this website, if you order, to get 14ers.com credit.

Postby Jeff Valliere » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:32 am

I have the Fenix HP 11 and love it. It is amazingly bright and burn time is longer than advertised. It is also a steal at $64.95.

http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-hp11.html

Postby bking14ers » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:41 am

I think that Mammut Lucido TX1 looks like a great deal. Maybe a little heavier than some, but probably only a few ounces. I just might get one for myself. I like the head lights that have a high and low settings. I have a Black Diamond and love it. It was under $40.00.

Postby mtnview » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:51 am

If the Black Diamond Icon and Princeton Tec Apex are too heavy and bulky I would look at the Black Diamond Storm or Princeton Tec EOS. I lean more to the Storm. Storm is more versatile in beam patterns, 4AAA, a step up from the BD Spot.

Storm little heavier than Spot due to 4AAA so not sure how running with it would be. Might have to keep the strap pretty tight.
2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise (of his return), as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
http://www.truedino.com/colorado14ers.htm

Postby sunny1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:05 am

I just got the BD Storm yesterday, will try it tomorrow a.m. and report back (will be out a few days, back on Monday). It's heavier than the Petzl Tikka 2, but if you use the Lithium batteries, it's lighter than standard batteries.
Had the Petzl Tikka 2 for years, it just wasn't working for me - well, after a trip through the washer.... :oops:
I also had lumen envy!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby herdbull » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for the heads up on the REI price. I saw that and it was probably leaning me towards going with that light just because of that price.

The more I look at the BD Spot the more I like it, on paper anyway. Fairly light for a 90 lumen light, price is decent, no extra battery pack. I also think I'm going to go the route of 2 lights. One for running and one for hiking. Trying to find a light to do everything is pretty tough. So I'm thinking like a Mammut S-lite for running. 90% of my night running is done on the road anyway. So there's not a need for a huge amount of light.

This is good stuff. I think by the end of the day I will have "Order" on at least one light :-D . Man I love new gear!!!

Postby Jeff Valliere » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:58 pm

herdbull wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the REI price. I saw that and it was probably leaning me towards going with that light just because of that price.

The more I look at the BD Spot the more I like it, on paper anyway. Fairly light for a 90 lumen light, price is decent, no extra battery pack. I also think I'm going to go the route of 2 lights. One for running and one for hiking. Trying to find a light to do everything is pretty tough. So I'm thinking like a Mammut S-lite for running. 90% of my night running is done on the road anyway. So there's not a need for a huge amount of light.

This is good stuff. I think by the end of the day I will have "Order" on at least one light :-D . Man I love new gear!!!

I have the BD Spot also. It is a great little light if you might get caught out in the dark, great around camp etc.... but not so great for night running, which is why I upgraded to the Fenix, as I do a good bit of night running on the Boulder peaks in the Winter. The Fenix is a bit heavy, but for a 1-2 hour run, you hardly notice it on your head and it puts out a whopping 277 lumens. I keep it on the low to medium setting when going uphill and the trail is in your face, but for going downhill and going fast, it is awesome to have that higher setting. I also carry a hand held Fenix for added definition, but considering the awesomeness of the HP-11, the hand held is a bit overkill (though a nice luxury).

Edit: Was reading fast and did not notice your comment about mostly running on roads. A BD Spot would probably be fine, in fact I use mine sometimes for the rare urban path night run and it is adequate. Fenix also has a few lighter headlamps though that really shine, so perhaps that might be worth checking out before deciding.

http://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_418&products_id=2703

Postby jeepdent » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:52 pm

I was recommended a headlamp by ledlenser ... Google for their website. I purchased a 3xAAA battery 120 lumen headlamp for about $40. Super satisfied with it. The beam is focusable and has a dimmer switch. Beats brightness and price of anything else I have ever seen.

Postby James Scott » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Oddly enough, and although I hate to support a store like this over REI, Home Depot actually has a large selection of headlamps and they're super cheap compared to REI. I don't know what exactly they carry on the list above, but next time I lose mine (my headlamps seem to last about two summers before they disappear), I'll probably look there first.

Plus I can pick up some sheetrock.
"Some climb... to get to Terrapin."

Postby unclegar » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:09 pm

I have the BD spot and have been happy with it. I believe there are 2 versions of the spot. Mine is the one without the battery pack on the back of the strap. (not as bright and not as heavy) Not sure what is new out there now though. It seems the LED products are advancing pretty quickly.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Next