Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Challenger/Kit Carson Sept 29/30

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Challenger/Kit Carson Sept 29/30

Postby mtree » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:50 pm

Looking for partner(s). Weather and/or conditions permitting. I'll grind it out on a single day, but with the shortness of daylight I'm willing to pack in. I've done the trek to the falls, but had to turn back due to storms a few years ago. I would LOVE to go with someone who's already made the climb!

Of note, I've never packed in before, but have gear. I would need some advice as to what to bring and what to leave behind. I'm an experienced hiker. I've done Blanca, Holy Cross, and Longs from the lowest base same day so I'm aware of the effort involved. No guarantees! I can lead or hang. No biggy.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Re: Challenger/Kit Carson Sept 29/30

Postby swdishfishhoarder » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:02 pm

I would be down for that trip. I've been focusing on the Sawatch range this summer and am currently at 12 14ers. So far I havn't hiked anything class 3 so we'll see how that goes. I live in Colorado Springs, would you be interested in carpooling?

Postby cbrobin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm thinking of camping at the lake and tagging Challenger and KC. Let's see how this week goes. I'm also thinking of the NW ridge on Lindsey Next Thursday.
More Colorado than the Natives.

Postby ameristrat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 pm

I would be up for it weather-dependent. Have not done these guys, but I've got some class 3 experience and did NW Ridge on Lindsay and I shouldn't be complete dead-weight.

I've heard this route can be nasty in early fall with verglass - am I remembering that correctly? Anyone have beta on this route recently?
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby HikerGuy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 am

ameristrat wrote:Anyone have beta on this route recently?

Had them to myself today. Bone dry as of 9/20, except for a bit of snow in the upper reaches of the North Slope on Challenger. I found my microspikes made life a bit easier for last 200-300 feet, but one could get by without them. No snow or ice anywhere else on the standard route.

Postby mtree » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:26 pm

I'd be coming down 285 late Friday so carpooling to the Springs is not an option. Keep an eye on the weather and hope for the best! I'll PM as plans come together.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby OrthoMatt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:24 am

Sounds fun. PM sent.

Postby ameristrat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:34 pm

Definitely PM me if you decide to go. I'd love to go
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal