Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

2012 Fall Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Re: 2012 Fall Gathering

Postby KeithK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:57 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I will not be able to attend the gathering.
:(

Damn you Bill Middlebrook.
Snow is dumb.™

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:06 am

I know. My buddy hasn't bagged an elk yet so I'm guiding for him this weekend. Mine, however, is in the freezer. :wink:
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby giarcd » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 am

There will be a spot at the camp fire with your name on it Bill.----- I am headed up to Marble pretty quick today,get signs up, prepare site and the locals for the up coming weekend!! :-D

Postby Chary » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 am

Does anyone know whether there are areas you can pitch tents at the 9700ft 4WD parking area on the Lead King Basin approach? Thanks.

Postby FCSquid » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:31 am

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I know. My buddy hasn't bagged an elk yet so I'm guiding for him this weekend. Mine, however, is in the freezer. :wink:

... all the more reason to head to Snowmass this weekend. :-"
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

Postby rijaca » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:34 am

Chary wrote:Does anyone know whether there are areas you can pitch tents at the 9700ft 4WD parking area on the Lead King Basin approach? Thanks.

Yes, there are spots near the TH (along/near the trail).
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby MountainHiker » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:56 pm

It looks like we should be able to make it for Saturday evening. Still not 100%. Things are goofy at work.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:38 pm

giarcd wrote:There will be a spot at the camp fire with your name on it Bill.----- I am headed up to Marble pretty quick today,get signs up, prepare site and the locals for the up coming weekend!! :-D

Thanks for your work on that! We're leaving here in about 15 minutes... probably see you guys around 9pm. Hope we don't disturb anyone coming in at that time of night (I have a schedule that knows no sense of reason - lunch time is 11pm in my world).

Postby Lemmiwinks » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:50 pm

MountainHiker wrote:It looks like we should be able to make it for Saturday evening. Still not 100%. Things are goofy at work.

Things are goofy at work for me as well. Looks like I'm being held late tonight, so I don't think I'll make it out there in time for a hike tomorrow. Sorry Otina, was looking forward to Treasure/Treasury. See you all at the next happy hour. Have fun and be safe!
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby coloradokevin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Sooo... THAT is what you get when a 3-ring circus goes looking for a mountaineering-themed frat party! Between fire eaters, gorillas, bag pipes, and everything else it was quite the experience :)

Hope you all made it home safely today. Amber and I have a double date scheduled with a pizza right now, so I'll have to check back for everyone's pictures here in a bit. It was great meeting all of you!
Last edited by coloradokevin on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby semitrueskerm » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Hope everyone got home safe.
Big thanks to Craig (giarcd) for all of his work on getting the site and taking it upon himself to rent a port-o-potty. Very cool to do a gathering in the Elks.
Keith, nice job on your talk and salute to those who are no longer with us.
Special thanks to Brian (Sky) for our Friday South Maroon summit: stellar weather, only saw three other people the entire day on the mountain, one bell only, we'll get the other next time, but, most importantly, no injuries on a climb I totally underestimated. For me, South Maroon was about as tiring as any I've done.
Those who couldn't make it, you were missed, but totally admire and respect the support you'all have given each other and the families of the victims. I can't imagine how much it meant to Rob's family to have that kind of turnout.
Those who did venture out, great to see and meet everyone. Lotta people put on a lot a miles and vertical over the weekend. Impressive. No major injuries that I am aware of, despite a few falls here and there. (That includes around the campfire...)
Would love to hear some post game analysis and see some photos from various climbs and comraderie last night...I will try to get mine up in the next few days.
Good show from the fire breather, the piper, random gorilla & the non-mullet MacGuyver...who was both rocking the fire and hosting a beer sample party at the same time.
Anytime you all want to venture south of the border and do Wheeler Peak here in New Mexico...give me a hollar.
Cheers-

Jim (SemiTrueSkerm)

Postby nkan02 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:56 pm

It was great to see some familiar faces and meet some new people. Sincere "thank you" to Craig (giarcd) for taking care of the gathering site and renting the port-o-potty - you know, on Culebra they charge $100 for that stuff :) Fall colors were spectacular. Unfortunately I was too beat to hike the 2nd day, but even 1 full day in the Elks feels like an accomplishment. Glad everybody is safe and sound.

Natalie

PreviousNext