Democrat, Cameron and Lincoln

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ryanmay
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Democrat, Cameron and Lincoln

Post by ryanmay »

We are flying into Denver Saturday morning from Indiana. It is currently our plan to drive out to Breckenridge, camp at Kite Lake for the night and then hit all three summits the following day. Was wondering if anyone knows of the current/soon to be conditions, and if we should bring along our spikes for the climb and/or if conditions are too bad, what are some other summits we should look into that may be more favorable.
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Re: Democrat, Cameron and Lincoln

Post by Carl »

I'd leave the spikes at home and pack the trail runners instead. Forecast calls for sun and high in the mid 50s at 12,500 in that area all week.
MrJohnnySpot
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MrJohnnySpot »

I did those last weekend, Sat. morning, and the west/back side on the approach to Cameron and parts of the ridge to Lincoln had some snow/ice but most of it was packed and there was only 1-2 ice patches I encountered. In other words, what snow/ice was up there is all avoidable as of last Saturday. I'd say bring your spikes with you so that you have them--better to have them and not need them then not have them and need them--with you but you can leave them in the car if the weather continues to hold (Carl's weather forecast should hold but who knows).
wolfshadoww
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wolfshadoww »

Can anyone tell me what the road is like to the Kite Lake TH? 4W only? 2W?

Thanks - Wolf
“The mountains are calling and I must go.”
― John Muir

“It's a tough lesson: There is no summit that comes before you expect it.”
― Mark Obmascik

"Climbing is as close as we can come to flying."
-- Margaret Young
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

2 wheel drive. Someone even drove a bus up there this year.

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&p=437184
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

wolfshadoww wrote:Can anyone tell me what the road is like to the Kite Lake TH? 4W only? 2W?

Thanks - Wolf
Depends on how much you like your trim ;-)

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/trailhead ... hparm=mr01" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As long as you have more than minimal clearance, you should be fine.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

I was up there yesterday (driving my Honda CR-V). The road should be passable in most passenger cars, but there are a few spots that would have to be carefully negotiated. One is around the hairpin curve not far from Kite Lake. The worst is just as you enter the parking area. I saw a Honda Civic up there and other similar cars. There was a little snow on the ridge to Lincoln, but it could be avoided or safely crossed without traction devices.

To echo other threads: Be sure to pay attention to speed limit signs, especially the 15 mph sign on the road to Kite Lake.
wolfshadoww
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wolfshadoww »

Thank you everyone- not sure I'll take my low clearance Accord up. I don't need anyone posting pictures of me stuck on here! ;)
“The mountains are calling and I must go.”
― John Muir

“It's a tough lesson: There is no summit that comes before you expect it.”
― Mark Obmascik

"Climbing is as close as we can come to flying."
-- Margaret Young
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

If I still had my Accord, I'd take it up there. You won't get stuck anywhere. The worst that would happen would maybe be scraping the bottom of the front bumper if you didn't carefully negotiate around a pothole or rut. Of course, you can do that on a curb in a shopping center parking lot. If you don't like the look of the ruts just before the parking lot at Kite Lake, you can always park just below (and not have to pay the day-use/overnight fee). I've taken a Taurus up much worse.