Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby Tommy Dorr » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:21 am

Bullwinkle wrote:Yep, whoever did that was a putz.

Naphthalene, a solid benzene derivative, is the main ingredient in mothballs--and benzene may be carcinogenic. A cost-effective and safe option is to just buy a restaurant size container of cayenne or red pepper, and sprinkle around the vehicle. Alternatively, there are commercial products for various critter types.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/?source=GoogleAW

Good info here. Thanks :)
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby Dozer » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:29 am

And I've been scattering Meatballs around my car all this time. Idiot.

Although the bears they attract do keep the porkies away.
"How can you keep them down on the farm once they've seen Carl Hungus?" --The Dude

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." --Yogi Berra

Postby Bullwinkle » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Tommy Dorr wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:Yep, whoever did that was a putz.

Naphthalene, a solid benzene derivative, is the main ingredient in mothballs--and benzene may be carcinogenic. A cost-effective and safe option is to just buy a restaurant size container of cayenne or red pepper, and sprinkle around the vehicle. Alternatively, there are commercial products for various critter types.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/?source=GoogleAW

Good info here. Thanks :)

I should have noted a caveat with the Cayenne pepper. It is effective in keeping porcupines away, but may draw in a roving pack of yappy Chihuahuas.
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby coloradokevin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 pm

I really doubt that note was left by the USFS. At the very least, I very much doubt that it was a forest service employee who stuffed the mothballs into your ventilation system.

I once had a partner at work throw the contents of a busted pepperball into my work car's intake as a joke (I'm in law enforcement). That bastard is still waiting to taste a pepper spray and jelly sandwich one of these days... nothing like concentrated pepper agent spraying in your face when you start the car!

Postby sam » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:43 pm

I did speak with someone who works for the Forest Service. He said that he was with the woman ranger when she left the note, but that they did not or would not put them in the air intake.

Postby sunny1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:25 pm

sam wrote:I did speak with someone who works for the Forest Service. He said that he was with the woman ranger when she left the note, but that they did not or would not put them in the air intake.

I'm glad to hear this, thanks for sharing - pretty horrible for Paula.

Have been at the Maroon Lake TH 3 times in the past 7 weeks.
On each trip, I have seen moth balls under at least 1 vehicle.
I agree with those that suggest USFS signage informing users about moth ball hazards at the TH's would be helpful.
Yesterday I counted 3 porcupines on the Maroon Creek Rd in the wee hrs of the a.m.
They're definitely alive and well!
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby krs1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:36 pm

That's an awesome story!!! Try erecting this sh&%show...I call it the Bugaboo Ft. Knox, good thing it was a rental vehicle.
Attachments
204c.jpg
204c.jpg (272.47 KiB) Viewed 865 times

Postby Dex » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Here's a thought. Put moth balls in a aluminum or tin can - punch some holes in it and hang underneath the car & remove when you leave.

Does that solve problem of leaving moth balls on the ground?
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby MountainHiker » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Maybe porcupine balls around the vehicle will scare them away! :twisted:
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby sunny1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:41 pm

MountainHiker wrote:Maybe porcupine balls around the vehicle will scare them away! :twisted:

:lol:
I'll shift my focus to neutering porcupines
We could recycle the balls. :wink:

krs1, that's awesome! :lol: Where was that?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby krs1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 pm

The fortification was erected @ the Bugaboos TH in British Columbia. All supplies is provided and instructions are right next to you. It does wonders to the paint job. Mothballs are for cheaters!!!

Postby Hypersnow » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:06 pm

I will probably be harassed incessantly for writing this reply, but....

I work/manage the crew at the Maroon Bells, and have for 3 years. I did not write the note, nor do I recognize the handwriting. That being said, I am not there every day, nor am I in every place at all times. 1st point - If you use mothballs, CLEAN THEM UP. They are litter; and believe it or not, it is extremely annoying to clean them up daily (and yes we clean them up that often). 2nd point - porcupines are only a problem in the spring (May - mid July); if you notice the hosts who are parked there for 3 months or more, have no "porky protection" around their vehicles or RV's after mid-July. 3rd point - Give anyone who works or volunteers at this area a break. They deal with the public non-stop for 4 months; and quite often the public is not very cognizant of their impact on the wilderness/forest or plain just don't care. Finally - please respect any requests of USFS while using this recreation area; believe it or not we are doing our best to manage it for the extreme use this area gets, to preserve it for generations to come. This beautiful area is on the verge of being "loved to death".

That being said; I will talk to my employees and volunteers tomorrow. If anyone did place the mothballs purposely in your intake; I will ask that they write a letter of apology.

Jennifer Belknap
USFS - Aspen RD

PreviousNext