Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Music

Items that do not fit the categories above.

Re: Music

Postby kimo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:46 pm

Kiefer and Mark, you may be interested in a band named the Soft Moon out of the Bay area. They've released some singles, an EP, and an LP. Their music is reminiscent of Twitch-era Ministry. Their new album Zeros comes out Oct 30th. Great date for release. Here's the first single Die Life from Zeros:

And the Soft Moon's frightening midnight drum circle on top of Mt. Doom title track from last year's EP Total Decay:

Right now, I'm enjoying the new album by The xx that was released this morning. Been listening to parts of it all day long. Just finished listening in it's entirety. The record won't be everyone's cup of tea, but when it comes to setting that mood for me, it's hard to beat. Minimal, delicate, and sexy, it's a record to play on cool breezy nights with the windows wide open. In fact it's the perfect mood setter for tonight, as the season's first cold rain falls down outside. Like vicoden for the soul.

I love the song Sunset on the record, but the single Chained is pretty damn good too:

Yog wrote:Really enjoyed listening to Into the Wild soundtrack, Pink Floyd - Wish you were here, and new Dead Can Dance album on my last climb.

All great records.

Postby TallGrass » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:07 am

Over 60 pages on an Alpinist site and this hasn't come up yet? :shock:

1968: Where Eagles Dare starring Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood

(If you prefer it without sound effects.)
What's the movie about? Here's a movie trailer in HD.
For you OCD math types, here's a different kind of "bagging" from the film.

1979: "Where Eagles Dare" by the Misfits (best version, decent video, terrible dub over at end)

1983: "Where Eagles Dare by Iron Maiden (lyrics inspired and based on the movie complete with simulated machine :guns: )
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:46 pm

The evolution of a song. I just knew this was from the 80s when I first heard the Flo Rida version on the radio.

1988:

2011:

2012:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby SilverLynx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:29 pm

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Gabriel is the s**t.

Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby metalmountain » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Mmmm...ambient post rock...delicious. If you like Explosions in the Sky or This Will Destroy you then check this out.

"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 pm

I understand there is a dance-off.......... 8)

~Nelson Mandela

~Steve Jobs

Postby kimo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:15 am

Open the windows wide at night and swim in autumn's winds...

A beautiful song and video from Grizzly Bear's wistful new record Shields that was released earlier this week. So far, September's better records have been drenched in melancholia. Sign of the times I suppose.

Postby SilverLynx » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:44 pm

~Nelson Mandela

~Steve Jobs

Postby Brian Thomas » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Wilson Pickett (with Duane Allman)

Sly and the Family Stone

Bobby Womack
Last edited by Brian Thomas on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Tony1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Postby Kiefer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Marilyn Manson's version of, "I put a spell on you."
This thing is frigging awesome. Great version. A lot darker than the CCR version.
With Haloween around the corner, thought it would be more appropriate.

PreviousNext