Sunrise or Sunset

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Sunrise or Sunset

Post by rking007 »

So what's my point? Alpenglow by the above definition is some super sweet light that a cameras sensor just eats up (on a tripod... of course). Don't blink, because this light usually lasts for maybe 3-4 minutes in the morning and 5-10 minutes at night. The light is so soft that pretty much any sensor on any camera can pick up the dynamic range. We're talking about a super even flow of light throughout your frame that renders shadows and highlights evenly. The end product is mostly incredibly pleasing to look at. A really well done alpenglow shot usually takes the trophy over the rest. Thus is the reason you like Vonmacle's lovely image at 6:18. That's an alpenglow image!
Well there you go, learn something new everyday. I had always thought it was the red/orange light right after.
Techs: "Hints of Fall" & "Ripples and Reflections" are two image Canon 24mm tse stitch's, a top image and a bottom image stitch, thus creating a 12mm wide with zero distortion. The top image is a hand blend of three exposures to overcome dynamic range problems that all cameras can't handle. All images are shot at 5.6, the sweet spot for resolution. The bottom image is a focus stack of 3 images at F5.6 to convey a 3D feel. Then add some selective color, curves and a tad bit of NR, then its done!

After all that, I think I captured what I saw that evening, I hope you feel my moment.
I think I get what you are saying by a focus stack but could you expound on that a bit? Also, are you stitching in Photoshop or do you use software. I love those shots by the way I definitely felt it! :-D
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Kane
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kane »

Rking, focus stacking is shooting multiple images at a sharper f stop, using various focus points, then aligning and blending in photoshop. It's a learned technique, so it can take some time to get the exceptional results. When done right it's a show stopper.

I use PTGUI 7.2 pro for all my stitching. Ive never used anything else and will never update. It's that good in my opinion. I also use a pano head, and shift lenses to maximize usable image canvas.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Kane wrote:Techs: "Hints of Fall" & "Ripples and Reflections" are two image Canon 24mm tse stitch's, a top image and a bottom image stitch, thus creating a 12mm wide with zero distortion. The top image is a hand blend of three exposures to overcome dynamic range problems that all cameras can't handle. All images are shot at 5.6, the sweet spot for resolution. The bottom image is a focus stack of 3 images at F5.6 to convey a 3D feel. Then add some selective color, curves and a tad bit of NR, then its done!
So you're saying that the final product we see on your website is a composite of 6 individual shots?
Now I know why my shots always look so crappy compared to the best ones, even if the composition is good. ](*,)

As a total photo noob, are there some free software tools I can get just to play around with the HDR, focus stacking, stitching, and all the other things I had to Google to find out what they were?
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Ghosts at the edge of the world.

Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

Great shot and title, Kimo! The branch silhouettes reminded me of this shot I took at the aptly named "Summit Lake" on top of Buffalo Pass a couple of mornings ago:

Which was preceded by this one at the same place:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46092977@N07/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Willow Lake, September 19, 2012. Had the place all to myself (along with some does). Taken with an iPhone 4.
willow_lake_alpenglow.jpg
willow_lake_alpenglow.jpg (295.15 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
willow_lake_sunset.jpg
willow_lake_sunset.jpg (231.29 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

THE BEST sunset I have ever seen: Half Moon Bay, California.
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Fiery Sunrise and Sunset on Redcloud bookend a day of bagging 5 Centennials in the San Juans.
Attachments
Redcloud....errrr...looking very "Red" with morning alpenglow.
Redcloud....errrr...looking very "Red" with morning alpenglow.
IMG_2047.jpg (109.28 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
Sunset on Red Cloud, "Sundog" and Sunshiine
Sunset on Red Cloud, "Sundog" and Sunshiine
IMG_2130.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
spong0949
14ers: 49  1 
13ers: 47
Trip Reports (26)

Post by spong0949 »

Horseshoe Mountain last weekend -

Mountain photography and fine art:
https://aaron-spong.pixels.com/

Blog:
http://14erart.com

"SOLI DEO GLORIA"
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

American Lakes Basin

Make wilderness less accessible.
Mark Curtis
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark Curtis »

Searching for silence over Steamboat Lake a couple of weeks ago: