Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby Paula » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:44 pm

The note is on the back of a preprinted note from the forest service threatening a ticket for parking overnight in the day use lot. For an organization that gets to wear hiking boots to work every day, that counts as "official letterhead" to me.

I drive an SUV, mothballs can't magically float up 3 feet to the air intakes without human intervention. It was intentional.

I do plan to write a letter to the forest service. Do I think they'll admit it over the phone that one of their employees did this? Heck no. I think it'll be more productive to be less confrontational and let them deal with it quietly amongst themselves.

I had originally planned to go the coyote urine route for the Bells, but we put this trip together about 2 days before actually going and the only coyote urine I could find in Denver came in a bug bomb form designed drift down wind up to a quarter mile. While the thought of canvasing the entire parking lot in coyote pee is hilarious, I'm pretty sure that would have pissed even more people off.

Postby jmc5040 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 pm

LuLuLuv wrote:I question if the note was written by the forest service? But after what theotherindian said maybe it was? I would try to call them and report what you found. On another note, i parked next to a large pile of moth balls that had obviously been surrounding a vehicle in American Basin last weekend. I could not believe that whoever put them there did not pick them up! I was angry that i had to change with a moth ball scent wafting toward me. I think there have been some good sugestions for not having to spread them around on the ground, maybe those can be used by those who bring moth balls. Of course if you have room in your car, there's always a roll of chicken wire. Its reusable and green!

We were parked at American Basin Saturday night through Sunday afternoon last weekend. We were bothered all night by animals so I can definitely see why someone choice to use them, not that I agree with using them. I noticed the little white things as I descended back to my vehicle, but it was not until the smell hit me from 30 feet away that I figured out what they were. It definitely irritated me that someone decided to just leave them littered in the parking lot for someone else to clean up or deal with.
"My senses become heightened and the stresses of life fade with each step I take further from civilization. When I'm in the wilderness my brain and body work seamlessly together to do their finest work - a single flowing track down one of natures high peaks." - Jeremy Jones

Postby MountainHiker » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 pm

I pee around my Jeep and let my pet coyote guard it. \:D/
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby Bullwinkle » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Yep, whoever did that was a putz.

Naphthalene, a solid benzene derivative, is the main ingredient in mothballs--and benzene may be carcinogenic. A cost-effective and safe option is to just buy a restaurant size container of cayenne or red pepper, and sprinkle around the vehicle. Alternatively, there are commercial products for various critter types.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/?source=GoogleAW
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Postby Tommy Dorr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Earlier this summer, I got the same note in the same parking lot for doing the same thing.
"Try not... do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"When the Power of Love overcomes the Love for Power, then the world will Know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Postby tmahon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Why is it you think the FS staff did anything other than write the note?

I've gotten little notes from them for all sorts of things and never on anything other than little scraps of paper. There's nothing unusual about it.

Mothballs are poisonous, and some of them inevitably end up either rolling into the ditch at the edge of the ashpalt, or roll over to the adjacent car and get stepped on or rolled over and then just left behind. Don't use them up there.

I've been in the area for a long time and am up at that parking lot often. It's pretty rare that anything happens to your car. You're not going to get a sign up there, either.

You should give them a call though. I'd love to hear what they say.

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:58 pm

tommyboy360 wrote:Mothballs... could this be a revenge plot by George James?

Dude, you beat me to it!

Paula, what say you?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby RyGuy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:08 pm

Bullwinkle wrote:Yep, whoever did that was a putz.

Naphthalene, a solid benzene derivative, is the main ingredient in mothballs--and benzene may be carcinogenic. A cost-effective and safe option is to just buy a restaurant size container of cayenne or red pepper, and sprinkle around the vehicle. Alternatively, there are commercial products for various critter types.

http://www.critter-repellent.com/?source=GoogleAW

I agree with Bullwinke. While putting the mothballs in your air intakes is a bit argressive, and I doubt it was a USFS person. They likely would have just picked them up and thrown them away.

However the important thing I think people need to be aware of is that Moth Balls are very toxic- dangerous to the enviroment, wildlife, and people. I'm no tree hugger by any means, but you really should have used something else or just not used anything at all.

Here is some info on Moth Balls you may want to read before using them again, especially outdoors.

http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/ptype/mothball/index.html

http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/products/moth.htm

http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/environmental_health/eoha/pdf/moth_balls_fs.pdf
(My favorite is on page 2 of this article, where it talks about causing your red blood cells to break apart. No harm there, right?)
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach

Postby Paula » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Matt wrote:
tommyboy360 wrote:Mothballs... could this be a revenge plot by George James?

Dude, you beat me to it!

Paula, what say you?

While definitely suspicious, everyone knows George hibernates when it's not ski season.

Postby gdthomas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 pm

tmahon wrote:...Mothballs are poisonous, and some of them inevitably end up either rolling into the ditch at the edge of the ashpalt, or roll over to the adjacent car and get stepped on or rolled over and then just left behind. Don't use them up there.

I've been in the area for a long time and am up at that parking lot often. It's pretty rare that anything happens to your car...

+1

Postby ElFuegoDelaMuerte » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Sugar Madison wrote:The worst part about smelling moth balls?

Getting their little legs apart.

Damn thats funny!

Why has no one else commented on this?

Well said.

Postby Kitten » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:55 pm

milan wrote:I don't like when people use such nasty chemicals in the wilderness. It is against the LNT policy and even if you pick all of the balls when leaving, some of it evaporated and stays in the environment.

I could not agree more with this. Well said!
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

PreviousNext