Columbia, Harvard, Yale in one day?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ezabielski
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Columbia, Harvard, Yale in one day?

Post by ezabielski »

I was wondering if anyone has some info on doing these three in one day, on established trails, starting and ending at the same place. A trip report or even tidbits of info could be really great!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Columbia, Harvard, Yale in one day?

Post by peter303 »

More than that. I recall speed records for doing entire range of 14er peaks - something like two days for the all the Sawatches excluding Holy Cross. I couldnt find the thread.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Well, that's going to be tough to do in one day. Yale doesn't take real long if you are fast. Harvard and Columbia are another story. Harvard itself is a 12-mile round-trip hike with over 4k feet of gain. You can traverse from Harvard to Columbia, but it's not an established trail the whole way. Your alternative would be to descend harvard and hike down to the Columbia turnoff, go up and down that way. I'm not saying that this can't be done, but you'd have to be really fast, start early, and have good weather.

When we did Harvard and Columbia in one day I believe we were hiking for around 10 hours, and we were pretty exhausted.

Your need for an established trail complicates things.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

You can climb all three from the North Cottonwood TH, but you won't be all on established trail the whole way. You can go up Harvard's standard, traverse to Columbia, back down the trail to the split, and instead of a "left" back to the traihead, take a "right" to Kroenke Lake. That trail keeps going, but probably goes out of your way for Yale. I have been up the 12ers above that lake, and Yale looked fairly straightforward from there, but all off trail. Then just reverse your route on Yale back to the Kroenke Lake trail and follow that to the trailhead. Don't know what the mileage and vert would be, but I believe the route on Yale from Kroenke Lake is described in Roach's 14ers book.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

The only established trail on Yale is from the Denny Creek TH on CR306. You could do the Harvard/Columbia traverse from N Cottonwood TH and then drive to Denny Creek if you have time. They are not far apart, maybe 35-40 minutes. All routes on Yale from N Cottonwood drainage involve off trail climbs above 12K and are long. Overall, you are talking about at least 10K of vertical.

Dave
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

I'm with djkest on this one.

The Harvard Columbia traverse is deceptive. It's long and you should expect RT to be 10-12 hours for an average speed party.Not that I'm super fit or anything, but I'm in decent shape and was exhausted after just those two. I know that I could not have done Yale if I wanted to.

If you are really fast, and in fantastic shape, it is doable from N. Cottonwood TH, but I woud do Harvard / Columbia first so you can make the decision to stop if necessary.

The whole traverse is exposed and the escape is into the wrong drainage, so if you wore out or needed to escape a storm after summitting Harvard, you'd be either out of luck or on the wrong side of Columbia to get back to your car.

Be careful - that will be over 20 miles and 10k in elevation. If you can do that, I commend you - I certainly cannot.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
ezabielski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

Thanks for the info, everyone! I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a route that I didn't know about. I will probably drive to Yale after doing Harvard/Columbia, only if the conditions (of my legs and the weather) allow it.

EDIT: Nah. I won't do all three in one day.
Last edited by ezabielski on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezabielski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ezabielski »

peter303 wrote:More than that. I recall speed records for doing entire range of 14er peaks - something like two days for the all the Sawatches excluding Holy Cross. I couldnt find the thread.
Yup, Nolan's 14ers. But I wanted to know if there was a route that would be shorter than an out and back along a Nolan's route.
telehead
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by telehead »

Dear God, why?