Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Maroon, Mothballs, and a note from the USFS

Postby ameristrat » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:57 pm

I just surround everyone else's car with maple syrup. Never been bothered by any vermin
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal

Postby sad2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:01 pm

ameristrat wrote:I just surround everyone else's car with maple syrup. Never been bothered by any vermin

100% pure maple syrup. Wow, that must get expensive! :)

Postby Abdra » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
Abdra wrote:Moron. Servers you right. learn your lesson or get off the mountains.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who only has a half-measure.

HA! you've been inhaling moth ball fumes in the workplace. Step away from the moth balls SON!

Postby Sugar Madison » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:06 pm

The worst part about smelling moth balls?

Getting their little legs apart.

Postby milan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:12 pm

I just know what the mothballs are, thats why I never use them, but overall, I agree with HighPilgrim, it may be worth that the rangers put a sign to the trailhead not to use mothballs in the area and I am sure people like Paula and HighPilgrim would never use them. They used them because other people do, it has been reccomended by others and they probably had no idea about the chemicals in them. I don't think it was the rangers who put them in their car either.
I tried to be funny with a comment about porcupines environment, it certainly was bad that someone did that to Paulas car.

Postby Doctor No » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:14 pm

Abdra wrote:
highpilgrim wrote:
Abdra wrote:Moron. Servers you right. learn your lesson or get off the mountains.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who only has a half-measure.

HA! you've been inhaling moth ball fumes in the workplace. Step away from the moth balls SON!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrJ7Jcendo

Postby gdthomas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:39 pm

live4pc: And what should 49ersrule do? Better yet, just mind your own business.

Postby gdthomas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:56 pm

I'm talking about poisons. I don't know what you're talking about.

Postby DeucesWild » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:22 pm

gdthomas wrote:live4pc: And what should 49ersrule do? Better yet, just mind your own business.

It is rare indeed that gd and I would find common ground, but here you have it; rASStic: just mind your own business and stay in off-route where you unfortunately are allowed to belong.

Vermin is one I'll leave alone for now.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

www.deuceIRA.com. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!

Postby LuLuLuv » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:27 pm

I question if the note was written by the forest service? But after what theotherindian said maybe it was? I would try to call them and report what you found. On another note, i parked next to a large pile of moth balls that had obviously been surrounding a vehicle in American Basin last weekend. I could not believe that whoever put them there did not pick them up! I was angry that i had to change with a moth ball scent wafting toward me. I think there have been some good sugestions for not having to spread them around on the ground, maybe those can be used by those who bring moth balls. Of course if you have room in your car, there's always a roll of chicken wire. Its reusable and green!

Postby Johnson » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:29 pm

mtgirl wrote:
Johnson wrote: ......that said, a mouse did get in the car and chowed down a half eaten granola bar that my daughter left inder the seat.

Oops, that was me, not a mouse. Sorry I didn't throw out the wrapper. #-o ......................... :-D

Your poo was so small... sorry... I couldn't resist.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene

PreviousNext