Mt Logan - Kings Trench

Discussion area for peaks outside of the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Mt Logan - Kings Trench

Post by I Man »

Has anyone climbed Mt Logan in the past decade or so?? Kings Trench or East Ridge route info preferred, but would be happy to talk to anyone who has been on the mountain "recently."
Last edited by I Man on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
BenfromtheEast
14ers: 58  10  16 
13ers: 37 8 3
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mt Logan - Kings Trench

Post by BenfromtheEast »

MountainMedic and SurfNTurf were up there over Memorial Day weekend. Pretty sure they got dropped off in Icy Bay, traversed over Mts. St. Elias and Newton (for Cam), and hit the South Ridge on Logan. I'd shoot them a PM for details, but don't make a big deal about it. I'm not sure they've even told anyone.
I Man
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

BenfromtheEast wrote:MountainMedic and SurfNTurf were up there over Memorial Day weekend. Pretty sure they got dropped off in Icy Bay, traversed over Mts. St. Elias and Newton (for Cam), and hit the South Ridge on Logan. I'd shoot them a PM for details, but don't make a big deal about it. I'm not sure they've even told anyone.
Thanks, Ben. You're the man :-k \:D/

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

I climbed Logan back in '06. Accessed the summit from the north as I did one big ass u-turn from Tanglewood trailhead (end of CR 43) northeast of the summit. Turned left on Rosalie Trail after a mile from the trailhead, then skirted beside Kataka before ascending the north summit, then south to the summit. I'm sure there are quicker ways, but this was a wonderful way to go. Look out for the airplane and have fun!
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
im_t_wal
14ers: 21 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by im_t_wal »

Mountainspirit wrote:I climbed Logan back in '06. Accessed the summit from the north as I did one big ass u-turn from Tanglewood trailhead (end of CR 43) northeast of the summit. Turned left on Rosalie Trail after a mile from the trailhead, then skirted beside Kataka before ascending the north summit, then south to the summit. I'm sure there are quicker ways, but this was a wonderful way to go. Look out for the airplane and have fun!
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

im_t_wal wrote:
Mountainspirit wrote:I climbed Logan back in '06. Accessed the summit from the north as I did one big ass u-turn from Tanglewood trailhead (end of CR 43) northeast of the summit. Turned left on Rosalie Trail after a mile from the trailhead, then skirted beside Kataka before ascending the north summit, then south to the summit. I'm sure there are quicker ways, but this was a wonderful way to go. Look out for the airplane and have fun!
Ha. Didn't know there was a Mt. Logan over there. Yeah, different Mt. Logan. Slightly different.
I Man
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

To be clear....We are talking Mt Logan in BC (19,511')

If anyone is seriously interested, feel free to PM me.
Last edited by I Man on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Haven't finished the 14ers and already going for the 12ers huh (12,870')? http://www.summitpost.org/mount-logan/514375

Are you trying to be the ultimate hipster or something? :lol: :lol:

Is this the King's Trench?

Here's a pic I found on Summitpost. I annotated the East Ridge Route in for you. I did it 11yrs ago, and you asked for past decade so sorry I can't be of more help.
Attachments
Mount Logan - East Ridge Beta
Mount Logan - East Ridge Beta
9-19-2012 8-20-44 AM.jpg (140.65 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
I Man
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Fletch wrote:
I Man wrote:To be clear....We are talking Mt Logan in BC (19,511')
To all - Mt Logan - tallest mountain in Canada, 2nd tallest in North America. Hummingbird Ridge is a 50 Classic - beast of a route too. Most folks liken the Kings Trench to the West Butt on Denali --- only longer, colder, and with no people. Climbers routinely spend a week or more in their tents at any given time and folks going light and fast have been known to spend up to two weeks holed down in a tent/snowcave. For most mortals, it's a four week trip.

I Man - 19,551. Yukon, not BC. :mrgreen:
Thank you, sir.

Ahhh - Hummingbird....If I'm ever tired of life...you'll know where to find me 8)

steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Seems like I read somewhere that Logan is the most massive mountain int he world? Maybe that was St. Elias, I dunno...
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

HA HA!

http://www.edwardboyle.com/blog/?p=365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

smoove wrote:
im_t_wal wrote:
Ha. Didn't know there was a Mt. Logan over there. Yeah, different Mt. Logan. Slightly different.

Silly me - and here I got all excited about some one wanting to climb a 12er in Park County. :oops:
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison