Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Kansas City Fall 2012 Happy Hour/Gathering

Need a climbing partner? Trying to form a hiking group for an outing?

Kansas City Fall 2012 Happy Hour/Gathering

Postby Gene913 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Date and Time: Friday, October 12 from 5:30 to 8:00 p.m.
Place: Coaches Bar and Grill (in a strip mall on the north side of 103rd Street just west of Wornall)

As resident flatlanders, we can't gaze at the mountains outside our windows, so we must rely upon each other to keep mountain memories fresh in our minds, especially since it will be next summer before most of us can experience the mountains again.

Hence, the need for a very informal gathering of those who look forward every year to "peak time" in Colorado, no matter whether it's a 14er or a 13er.

I know there are a bunch of you out there: Sarge, Tireiron, ElDChopper, Subway, frank boal, Kansan, GaryG, wineguy, hwheel1256, finestkind, Rockchalk, Moose Drool, TI83plus, glodder, BKS, chxmx, Craig Cook, and more. I've already talked to many of you and know that a number of you are planning to make it.

For the rest of you, reserve the date and time on your calendars and come on out. This will be a great way to end the work week, experience some camaraderie amongst those in the area, and give us a chance to recap/relive our summer climbing experiences together.
Last edited by Gene913 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21

Re: Kansas City Fall 2012 Happy Hour/Gathering

Postby rockchalker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:55 pm

I will let my KC friends know about the gathering and maybe they can join you.

Rock Chalk
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby BKS » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks for the effort to get us together. I would love to be there, but won't be able to make it. I did something rather drastic last month to feed the 14er addiction - moved to the mountains. Two of us in the family decided to give it a try with the hope that the whole family could follow soon. We left KC with tent, computer, and pre-set limit of cash (when money ran out we would return to KC if it didn't work). Within 24 hours we both had jobs and a place to live in Frisco.

The joke in my family is that the mountains will take care you. So I guess I'm not a flatlander anymore. Hope to see you in the high country.

Postby Gene913 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 am

BKS wrote:I moved to the mountains. So I guess I'm not a flatlander anymore.

Well I'll be. Good for you and your family, Brian. Best wishes as you make the transition. Of course, this means that we will have to talk about you on the 12th! You left lots of envious folks behind on the prairie.
"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21

Postby dennis 1950 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:18 am

I am a Kansas City expatriate who now lives in Florida, but who has also spent the last 10 summers in Colorado. I plan to be in Kansas City that weekend, and wonder whether I, and maybe some friends who have also climbed some Fourteeners with me, would be welcome?

Postby Gene913 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:41 am

dennis 1950 wrote:I am a Kansas City expatriate who now lives in Florida, but who has also spent the last 10 summers in Colorado. I plan to be in Kansas City that weekend, and wonder whether I, and maybe some friends who have also climbed some Fourteeners with me, would be welcome?

Absolutely. Not a closed door society at all. It is an open invitation. Hope you can make it.

Postby paulrbrune » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:43 am

I would love to come, but unfortunately won't be able to make it. Ironically, I will be in Denver at the GABF, so I'm not going to feel too bad for myself. :iluvbeer:

If you guys have any future gatherings, please let me know. It would be great to meet you.

Postby Rambler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:57 am

Nice! I went ahead and put it on my calendar

Postby krazykat » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:28 pm

Rambler = horrible avatar

Postby Rambler » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 pm

At least its not a tiger

Postby Gene913 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:20 pm

krazykat wrote:Rambler = horrible avatar

EMAW notwithstanding, it is fair to say, thankfully, that every man is not a wildcat. Rock Chalk!

More importantly, this gathering of KC-based mountaineers welcomes all -- regardless of their collegiate loyalties. Some of my best friends are Tigers and other lesser life forms.

Postby tlongpine » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:26 pm

If this turns into a debate about which regional University is best then count me out.

I won't waste my time trying to reason with cats.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Next