Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Re: SAR Professionalism Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Post by DaveSwink »

TallGrass wrote:If you want to play [url=http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictio ... /semantics]semantics[/url
pucker_factor wrote:this is a climbing forum, or am i wrong in that?
Easy guys, remember, this is just to pass the time till Southern Sun happy hour. :iluvbeer:

I think the point is that we all appreciate SAR! =D>
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Re: SAR Professionalism Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Post by GregMiller »

dswink wrote:Easy guys, remember, this is just to pass the time till Southern Sun happy hour. :iluvbeer:
Ooh, I like your thinking!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
JJJR
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Post by JJJR »

And with that, lets have a beer.

First, welcome pucker_factor.

With the recent tragedies may I say ... please support SAR, purchase a CORSAR Card. http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DO ... 1592090523

My plan, buy a card and get off my fat ass and climb something!
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you...while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." H.S.T.
dpbasing
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dpbasing »

Easy guys, remember, this is just to pass the time till Southern Sun happy hour.

I think the point is that we all appreciate SAR!

+1
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

JJJR wrote:With the recent tragedies may I say ... please support SAR, purchase a CORSAR Card. http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/DO ... 1592090523
Ahh, thanks for the reminder, finally got off my fat ass and bought one!
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

pucker_factor wrote:i have been on recon patrols...
Was it ranger recon?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
MtnClimber82
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtnClimber82 »

I am not back to argue the "unpaid professional" term, because we use it a lot. Just look at the results for Googling "mountain rescue unpaid professional". You can see its more common of a term than you might think.

As kimism said, we may not be paid, but we function at the same level of standards as any other paid organization would.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I think Kimism outlined a rescue fairly well. Until you've been a part of one it's hard to understand the personnel required. 17 does sound like an awful lot, but it isn't just a matter of walking up to someone and walking them out. A rescue is far more than just a hike.

Also as Kimism pointed out we are volunteer so it's not like someone decides hey let's get 17 people out for this mission. A page goes out to the whole team and hopefully enough people show up. It is extremely rare that too many people show up as there is always more that can be done.

Don't feel bad for making the comment either, most people are very surprised at the amount of resources needed to carry out such operations. This sounds like a pretty straight forward rescue too, it's when SAR has to search to find the person first that really takes a lot of resources.

As far as being a professional, sure we aren't paid money. Is money the only form of reward for a job well done? You're probably right though, there is something much different about a group of people willing to invest so much of their own time and money to do SAR and not get paid. You see it when a group such as the 17 mentioned above get home from their busy weekend and respond to a call to spend the whole night helping someone get home safely, and then they themselves get home just in time for the monday morning alarm clock to go off.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

pucker_factor wrote:..
why does it take 17 rescuers to find one dog and one idiot? :-"
Have you ever been involved in a rescue or first responder situation? Some people wonder why it is necessary that when 911 is called for several responders to come running. I can tell you its a lot more effecient and helpful when you have 10 - 20 hands on scene versus 4 - 6. Rescues and Patient care is NEVER as straight forward as you would think. Something as simple as CPR can run a lot more smoothly and efficiently with 4 - 5 people there versus just 1.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
Tigerbear
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 87
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tigerbear »

There should really be some sort of fine for taking dogs up mountains that should not be there.
i.e.with selfish owners.
I am sure there are plenty of citizens that would enforce it.
This is disgusting that people are so selfish as to take their dogs up fourteeners
I don't care how technical or untechnical they are!
I have carried dogs off mtns with SAR and I do have a judgemental opinion about it that I am not ashamed to voice.
This is not a mistake some people make, it is inconsiderate.
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...
SeracZack
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeracZack »

kimism72 wrote:This what books and Internet is for, to raise awareness and educate.
I can think of far better things the internet is for...

In all seriousness, I really appreciate what the dedicated individuals of the SAR teams do.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.
-Helen Keller