Gore 9/20 or 9/21?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
B[3]
14ers: 58 
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Gore 9/20 or 9/21?

Post by B[3] »

Looking to go back to the Gore Range and wouldn't mind some company. I am interested in Valhalla (didn't manage to complete the traverse from Snow last weekend) or one (or both) of the Partners but am open to other suggestions as well. Anyone interested in a visit to the Gore Range?
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
jbchalk
Trip Reports (54)

Re: Gore 9/20 or 9/21?

Post by jbchalk »

Just a recommendation, or you may know this, but if you plan to do the ridge proper from Snow Pass too Valhalla, I'd bring some slings/webbing and a rope as there are several mandatory rappels. However, most of the towers can be skirted but only after dropping several hundred feet on the ridge's west side on horrendously steep & loose rock & scree. We made it up to the last large gendarme before Valhalla's seemingly mellow south ridge only to be greeted with a 75' cliff drop. We had no climbing gear & rope with us and so we backtracked down to Deluge. Time was against us and the steep & loose scree was not appealing at all.

I would highly recommend each or both of the Partners and Partner Traverse as well!

Have fun!
B[3]
13ers: 96 14
Trip Reports (22)

Post by B[3] »

Sounds like our experience last Saturday--the traverse looked doable from afar, and then we got to a point where we realized we wanted a rope. We didn't really feel like dropping down too far (it looked pretty loose), so we backtracked to Snow Pass and took the "trail" down to Deluge Lake. When I go back, I plan to try Valhalla from the saddle with Grand Traverse Peak.

Thanks for the advice!
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

jbchalk wrote:Just a recommendation, or you may know this, but if you plan to do the ridge proper from Snow Pass too Valhalla, I'd bring some slings/webbing and a rope as there are several mandatory rappels. However, most of the towers can be skirted but only after dropping several hundred feet on the ridge's west side on horrendously steep & loose rock & scree. We made it up to the last large gendarme before Valhalla's seemingly mellow south ridge only to be greeted with a 75' cliff drop. We had no climbing gear & rope with us and so we backtracked down to Deluge. Time was against us and the steep & loose scree was not appealing at all.

I would highly recommend each or both of the Partners and Partner Traverse as well!

Have fun!
Hm interesting, I do remember there being some large gendarmes (one in particular which had a pretty impressive sheer face) but I was able to side skirt most pretty easily if I remember correctly.

I was going Val to snow and also was trying to move fast. Maybe going that direction is easier not sure. Want something really fun...do the Grand Traverse all the way to snow!!

Edit: grand saddle to val has some nice scrambling also, have fun up there and don't forget Palamino Point!
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

jbchalk wrote:Just a recommendation, or you may know this, but if you plan to do the ridge proper from Snow Pass too Valhalla, I'd bring some slings/webbing and a rope as there are several mandatory rappels. However, most of the towers can be skirted but only after dropping several hundred feet on the ridge's west side on horrendously steep & loose rock & scree. We made it up to the last large gendarme before Valhalla's seemingly mellow south ridge only to be greeted with a 75' cliff drop. We had no climbing gear & rope with us and so we backtracked down to Deluge. Time was against us and the steep & loose scree was not appealing at all.

Have fun!
I second the Partners! I also recommend Eagle's Nest/Powell (all from Piney Lake, no need for car shuttle).

re : Val/Snow. Definitely exposed, definitely some down climbing involved on the left side. The group I was with, we were able to find weaknesses and not drop as much as JB's group (and time was, in fact, on OUR side!).
have fun up there and don't forget Palamino Point!
I second this as well. Don't overlook unranked points, specially in the Gores, they might be the most rewarding parts of the trip, you never know till you go.