Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Two Lions Near Lily Lake Trailhead

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.

Re: Two Lions Near Lily Lake Trailhead

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 pm

Mountain lions: the reason I love slower hiking partners. :wink:
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby mtndude3737 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:18 pm

SilverLynx wrote:Mountain lions: the reason I love slower hiking partners. :wink:

Barbara Barsalou Schoener, 40, was killed April 23, 1994. A long distance runner and Placerville resident was attacked and killed while jogging on the American River Canyon Trail in California's Auburn State Recreation Area.

Maybe slower hiking partners are less of a challenge for them.
What is there, beyond the mountain, if not the man? - Walter Bonatti

The simpler you make things, the richer the experience becomes. - Steve House

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 pm

SilverLynx wrote:Mountain lions: the reason I love slower hiking partners. :wink:

Wait, wait a minute...... We have done a lot of peaks together. :-k

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm

lordhelmut wrote:
Agreed, also, you can vaguely make out his pointier snout in that last shot. While an amazing animal, I'm very happy Grizz don't live in Colorado.

(Sorry to semi-hijack the thread).

Booo! Can you imagine how many more epic 14ers threads there would be if the Griz returned to CO?

Lions aren't as elusive as folks make them out to be. People are just a lot less stealthy than they think they are. I lived in CO less than 6 months when I saw my first. And I have seen one for every year I have lived here since. I have seen one take out a deer and caught one on top of my truck trying to break into the bed. If you live in a populated area and go climb 14ers on the weekend with the masses, then you probably aren't gonna ever seen one. Each encounter leaves me with mixed emotions, fear, awe, excitement. Same with wolves and the griz.

I doubt a gun or bear spray would be very useful as one would be unlikely to know the lion was there if they had the intent to attack. I have only seen them when they were obviously pre-occupied with another task. Your best bet is to just travel in a group, make the usual amount of noise, and you will probably never have anything to worry about. Second best idea, get a mule. I am sure there are horse packers or ranchers on this site that can attest to a mule's ability to thwart a lion. It's fairly common to put a mule or donkey in the pasture with your horses or cattle for protection.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby ap snow » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:56 pm

Driving back from skiing Uncompahgre a few winters back I noticed some rather large eyes glowing on the side of the road so I stopped and a lion started walking across the road. I quickly grabbed my camera and took some footage before he disappeared. I'm a Colorado native and I have only seen two in the wild my entire life. The other one was in the hills above Boulder. Here is the link to the footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qIeYBgpmwg&feature=share&list=UUdgeC2wDIp2tyZbkPMRhkWw

Postby jblyth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:03 pm

RoanMtnMan wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:
Agreed, also, you can vaguely make out his pointier snout in that last shot. While an amazing animal, I'm very happy Grizz don't live in Colorado.

(Sorry to semi-hijack the thread).

Booo! Can you imagine how many more epic 14ers threads there would be if the Griz returned to CO?

Lions aren't as elusive as folks make them out to be. People are just a lot less stealthy than they think they are. I lived in CO less than 6 months when I saw my first. And I have seen one for every year I have lived here since. I have seen one take out a deer and caught one on top of my truck trying to break into the bed. If you live in a populated area and go climb 14ers on the weekend with the masses, then you probably aren't gonna ever seen one. Each encounter leaves me with mixed emotions, fear, awe, excitement. Same with wolves and the griz.

I doubt a gun or bear spray would be very useful as one would be unlikely to know the lion was there if they had the intent to attack. I have only seen them when they were obviously pre-occupied with another task. Your best bet is to just travel in a group, make the usual amount of noise, and you will probably never have anything to worry about. Second best idea, get a mule. I am sure there are horse packers or ranchers on this site that can attest to a mule's ability to thwart a lion. It's fairly common to put a mule or donkey in the pasture with your horses or cattle for protection.

Are you saying the Mule acts as a deterrent or could actually kill a Mountain Lion in a fight? I remember a few entertaining emails going around years back, but it sounds like that was an urban legend.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/mulelion.asp

Postby RoanMtnMan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Yes, that Montana couple story was a farce. It was actually photos taken of a mule in New Mexico, hence the yucca plants, playing with a dead lion. But anyone that has been around mules and donkeys know well how aggressive and protective they are. Unlike cattle and horses. We had one growing up that we called "nasty ass". Coyotes for miles feared her.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

www.CalebWrayPhotography.com

Postby ThuChad » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Dubdub wrote:what sort of deterrents do you carry?

Maybe they make mountain lion bells?

I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

“I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and spirit, this is the end of the quest. I wished to know the meaning of all things. I am the meaning. I wished to find a warrant for being. I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction. Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.” |Ayn Rand - Anthem

Postby Neil » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Personally, I'm more of an objective numbers guy than a subjective worrier -- in short, odds. So, for me, the real question is how many adults (for the sake of argument, 18 or older) have been attacked by a mountain lion while approaching or ascending a 14er in the state of Colorado. Obviously, you can use any number of variables, such as replacing adults with people, 14ers with 13ers, Colorado with Washington, etc., and get an entirely different conclusion.

However, considering the forum we are on, I think the above question is reasonable: how many adults have been have been attacked by a mountain lion while approaching or ascending a 14er in the state of Colorado? Not menacing contact, but actual attacks. I think the answer is close to, if not actually, zero. However, I really would like to be corrected if wrong. Either way, the odds here are approaching lottery numbers considering the number of even solo hikers that start pre-dawn.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby lurker » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Friday night coming down Castle Creek road in Aspen we saw a mountain lion dash across the road. Too fast for a camera shot, and surprisingly close to town, but then there were A LOT of hunters further up the road.

FWIW: I routinely hike Crosier Peak outside Loveland in the winter and early spring. A few years ago I noticed a lot of signs of a large predator in the area, including the lower leg of an elk in a tree. I usually hike alone so I was partially concerned, that is until two trail runners ran by me. Got to love the predator instinct to chase running prey.
The Mountains are Calling, and I must Go.
--John Muir

Postby Brian Thomas » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Neil wrote:how many adults have been have been attacked by a mountain lion while approaching or ascending a 14er in the state of Colorado? Not menacing contact, but actual attacks.

Looks like the answer is none. Incidents reported in RMNP and just outside Idaho Springs, but on/near a 14er, no.
http://www.cougarinfo.org/attacks2.htm
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby Neil » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks Brian...good info. This confirms my suspicions that just because something could happen, doesn't mean it does or will. Mountain lions certainly have the capability of inflicting harm on humans, but the odds are low that such an attack will occur anywhere in CO, especially 14ers.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

PreviousNext