Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.
User avatar
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Tabernash, CO

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby MtHurd » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Next headline will be "Dog Rescued on Lizard Head".

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby Somewhat of a Prick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:38 pm

There are sections of this route where its basically impossible for a dog to ascend without being raised. It also sounds like the hikers themselves lacked the abilities to get up. West Ridge is no joke, I did this route last weekend and it was quite challenging. Do these people not look at pictures/routes beforehand? Yeesh!


/armchair quarterback
Last edited by Somewhat of a Prick on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am
Location: North Springs

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby pucker_factor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:02 pm

..
why does it take 17 rescuers to find one dog and one idiot? :-"

User avatar
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Co.

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby sandy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Poor dogs.

User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am
Location: North Springs

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby pucker_factor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:27 pm

kimism72 wrote:Pucker, I will answer that in a most general way when I have time. There's a very good reason.


practice would be my first guess. just seems excessive. i have been on recon patrols with far fewer in much more dangerous locales than quandry.

User avatar
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:52 pm

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby MtnClimber82 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:39 pm

pucker_factor wrote:..
why does it take 17 rescuers to find one dog and one idiot? :-"

General answer is because crews never know what the search and/or rescue will require. Having more bodies (within reason) available keeps everybody safe, especially in technical terrain. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it with less, just being prepared for the worst.

Edit: SCRG is a top-notch group of unpaid professional SAR personnel. It certainly isn't a case of lacking "practice" as you speculate.

User avatar
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:41 pm

JC. Didn't we go through this drill about a month ago on the west ridge?
I need more dehydrogenase.

User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am
Location: North Springs

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby pucker_factor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:57 pm

MtnClimber82 wrote:
pucker_factor wrote:..
why does it take 17 rescuers to find one dog and one idiot? :-"

General answer is because crews never know what the search and/or rescue will require. Having more bodies (within reason) available keeps everybody safe, especially in technical terrain. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it with less, just being prepared for the worst.

Edit: SCRG is a top-notch group of unpaid professional SAR personnel. It certainly isn't a case of lacking "practice" as you speculate.


i didnt say lack of practice, so dont speculate yourself. every opportunity to get out and train/ practice is a good thing. no better practice than the real thing was what i was saying. 17 seemed like a lot, but i am sure that if my dog was lost i would want even more than that.

please don't tell me that this site is like summitpost where everyone is all PC.

EDIT. by definition you can not be unpaid and a professional. although i am sure they are very good at SAR and topnotch.

Online
User avatar
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Louisville, CO

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby GregMiller » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Hungry Jack wrote:JC. Didn't we go through this drill about a month ago on the west ridge?


I know, right? Do we need to add an addendum to the sign that's already there?

"The West Ridge is not a good route to take your dog up" or something similar?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes

User avatar
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm
Location: Denver, Frisco, KC

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby tlongpine » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:04 pm

I've been watching the Dog Debate and thinking it's unnecessarily acrimonious and judgmental, but this weekend I witnessed a pretty appalling dog situation on Holy Cross that changed my thinking.

I passed two dogs (a golden retriever and a yellow lab) 100 feet below the summit. I went over to say hello and noticed that one of the dogs paws was bleeding. Upon closer inspection I learned all four paws were shredded and two were bleeding.

Upon reaching the summit - at 3:30pm - we met the owners. Two young women taking their time on the summit as they toiled over the appropriate frequency of Molly ingestion.

It was a wonderfully clear day so we hung out on the summit for about 30 minutes and the girls preceded our party on the descent.

We passed them at the point the dogs were left, as they struggled to get the golden to walk. It refused to go anywhere, and was almost as big as she was. They would've been stuck if it weren't for the fact that one of the day's last descenders had a 65 liter pack that wasn't filled with much. He stuffed his gear into their daypacks and carried the dog out on his back.

Thank goodness that guy was in the right place at the right time with the right gear, and was gracious enough to help. Kudus to you, helpful mountain stranger! Shame on you, reckless dog owners.

With the dog crisis averted we couldn't help overhear as their conversation turned back to important topics during the descent:
"I can't believe it's getting dark. We started early at 10."
"I pretty much smoke weed everyday, but try to keep Molly to a weekend thing."
"I don't know what we would've done if you we're there? Hahaha. We could've died."

Me? I'm joining the emotional and judgmental chorus of people who would never put my dog in a situation I can't get him out of myself.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

User avatar
Posts: 769
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

SAR Professionalism Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby TallGrass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:51 pm

pucker_factor wrote:by definition you can not be unpaid and a professional. although i am sure they are very good at SAR and topnotch.

I do not consider SAR or any other NPO to be unprofessional solely by virtue of there being an insufficient "market" by which they can "capitalize" on in order to pay for their utilities and groceries.

If you want to play semantics, then "by definition" ...
The main criteria for professional include the following:
1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.[5]
2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.[6]
3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.
4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.
5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.
6. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.
7. A professional is an expert who is a master in a specific field.

(adj) 6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business
...
(n.) 4. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

and synonym
[b](adjective) qualified, trained, skilled, ... expert, experienced, finished, skilled, masterly, efficient,
...
(noun) = expert, authority, master, ...


Many who call themselves professional because they collect a fee are anything but (e.g. some mechanics). :roll:
Feel free to put forth whom you regard as the pro mountain rescuers who are not SAR, and consider whether or not in their qualified opinion if they'd consider SAR as colleagues, peers.

As they say in Ghostbusters, "Who ya' gonna call?" Just sayin'. . . :-"
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

User avatar
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:56 am
Location: North Springs

Re: SAR Professionalism Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Postby pucker_factor » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:10 pm

TallGrass wrote:
pucker_factor wrote:by definition you can not be unpaid and a professional. although i am sure they are very good at SAR and topnotch.

I do not consider SAR or any other NPO to be unprofessional solely by virtue of there being an insufficient "market" by which they can "capitalize" on in order to pay for their utilities and groceries.

If you want to play semantics, then "by definition" ...
The main criteria for professional include the following:
1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.[5]
2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.[6]
3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.
4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.
5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.
6. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.
7. A professional is an expert who is a master in a specific field.

(adj) 6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business
...
(n.) 4. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

and synonym
[b](adjective) qualified, trained, skilled, ... expert, experienced, finished, skilled, masterly, efficient,
...
(noun) = expert, authority, master, ...


Many who call themselves professional because they collect a fee are anything but (e.g. some mechanics). :roll:
Feel free to put forth whom you regard as the pro mountain rescuers who are not SAR, and consider whether or not in their qualified opinion if they'd consider SAR as colleagues, peers.

As they say in Ghostbusters, "Who ya' gonna call?" Just sayin'. . . :-"

as stated.. i am sure the are excellent at SAR and topnotch. i swear people, my point was a, dont speculate to what you think i mean when i clearly didnt say that, B, most professionals are paid, which is the FIRST definition in any dictionary of professional. merely pointing out the funny way that the posting sounded, c, dont PM me and then go and post my comments, man up and dont hide behind a PM. d, just because you sit behind a desk and post pictures of motorcylces from kansas doesnt make you an english professor. E, this is a climbing forum, or am i wrong in that? F, why risk 17 SAR lives for a dog..agreed there was a human also involved, but still sounded like a whole lot, G, lose some weight and actually get outside instead of get after the new guy on the website. ](*,)

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests