Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Post by MtHurd »

Next headline will be "Dog Rescued on Lizard Head".
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

There are sections of this route where its basically impossible for a dog to ascend without being raised. It also sounds like the hikers themselves lacked the abilities to get up. West Ridge is no joke, I did this route last weekend and it was quite challenging. Do these people not look at pictures/routes beforehand? Yeesh!

/armchair quarterback
Last edited by Somewhat of a Prick on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pucker_factor
14ers: 58  10  23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pucker_factor »

why does it take 17 rescuers to find one dog and one idiot? :-"
pucker_factor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pucker_factor »

kimism72 wrote:Pucker, I will answer that in a most general way when I have time. There's a very good reason.
practice would be my first guess. just seems excessive. i have been on recon patrols with far fewer in much more dangerous locales than quandry.
MtnClimber82
14ers: 18 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtnClimber82 »

pucker_factor wrote:..
General answer is because crews never know what the search and/or rescue will require. Having more bodies (within reason) available keeps everybody safe, especially in technical terrain. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it with less, just being prepared for the worst.

Edit: SCRG is a top-notch group of unpaid professional SAR personnel. It certainly isn't a case of lacking "practice" as you speculate.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

JC. Didn't we go through this drill about a month ago on the west ridge?
please rotate your device
pucker_factor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pucker_factor »

MtnClimber82 wrote:
pucker_factor wrote:..
General answer is because crews never know what the search and/or rescue will require. Having more bodies (within reason) available keeps everybody safe, especially in technical terrain. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it with less, just being prepared for the worst.

Edit: SCRG is a top-notch group of unpaid professional SAR personnel. It certainly isn't a case of lacking "practice" as you speculate.
i didnt say lack of practice, so dont speculate yourself. every opportunity to get out and train/ practice is a good thing. no better practice than the real thing was what i was saying. 17 seemed like a lot, but i am sure that if my dog was lost i would want even more than that.

please don't tell me that this site is like summitpost where everyone is all PC.

EDIT. by definition you can not be unpaid and a professional. although i am sure they are very good at SAR and topnotch.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Hungry Jack wrote:JC. Didn't we go through this drill about a month ago on the west ridge?
I know, right? Do we need to add an addendum to the sign that's already there?

"The West Ridge is not a good route to take your dog up" or something similar?
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

I've been watching the Dog Debate and thinking it's unnecessarily acrimonious and judgmental, but this weekend I witnessed a pretty appalling dog situation on Holy Cross that changed my thinking.

I passed two dogs (a golden retriever and a yellow lab) 100 feet below the summit. I went over to say hello and noticed that one of the dogs paws was bleeding. Upon closer inspection I learned all four paws were shredded and two were bleeding.

Upon reaching the summit - at 3:30pm - we met the owners. Two young women taking their time on the summit as they toiled over the appropriate frequency of Molly ingestion.

It was a wonderfully clear day so we hung out on the summit for about 30 minutes and the girls preceded our party on the descent.

We passed them at the point the dogs were left, as they struggled to get the golden to walk. It refused to go anywhere, and was almost as big as she was. They would've been stuck if it weren't for the fact that one of the day's last descenders had a 65 liter pack that wasn't filled with much. He stuffed his gear into their daypacks and carried the dog out on his back.

Thank goodness that guy was in the right place at the right time with the right gear, and was gracious enough to help. Kudus to you, helpful mountain stranger! Shame on you, reckless dog owners.

With the dog crisis averted we couldn't help overhear as their conversation turned back to important topics during the descent:
"I can't believe it's getting dark. We started early at 10."
"I pretty much smoke weed everyday, but try to keep Molly to a weekend thing."
"I don't know what we would've done if you we're there? Hahaha. We could've died."

Me? I'm joining the emotional and judgmental chorus of people who would never put my dog in a situation I can't get him out of myself.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

SAR Professionalism Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Post by TallGrass »

pucker_factor wrote:by definition you can not be unpaid and a professional. although i am sure they are very good at SAR and topnotch.
I do not consider SAR or any other NPO to be unprofessional solely by virtue of there being an insufficient "market" by which they can "capitalize" on in order to pay for their utilities and groceries.

If you want to play semantics, then "by definition" ...
The main criteria for professional include the following:
1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.[5]
2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.[6]
3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.
4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.
5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.
6. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.
7. A professional is an expert who is a master in a specific field.
(adj) 6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business
(n.) 4. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

and synonym
(adjective) qualified, trained, skilled, ... expert, experienced, finished, skilled, masterly, efficient,
(noun) = expert, authority, master, ...

Many who call themselves professional because they collect a fee are anything but (e.g. some mechanics). :roll:
Feel free to put forth whom you regard as the pro mountain rescuers who are not SAR, and consider whether or not in their qualified opinion if they'd consider SAR as colleagues, peers.

As they say in Ghostbusters, "Who ya' gonna call?" Just sayin'. . . :-"
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
pucker_factor
Trip Reports (0)

Re: SAR Professionalism Re: Rescue on Quandary Last Sunday

Post by pucker_factor »

TallGrass wrote:
pucker_factor wrote:by definition you can not be unpaid and a professional. although i am sure they are very good at SAR and topnotch.
I do not consider SAR or any other NPO to be unprofessional solely by virtue of there being an insufficient "market" by which they can "capitalize" on in order to pay for their utilities and groceries.

If you want to play semantics, then "by definition" ...
The main criteria for professional include the following:
1. Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.[5]
2. Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.[6]
3. High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing, photography or other work endeavours.
4. A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.
5. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.
6. Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.
7. A professional is an expert who is a master in a specific field.
(adj) 6. making a business or constant practice of something not properly to be regarded as a business
(n.) 4. a person who is expert at his or her work: You can tell by her comments that this editor is a real professional.

and synonym
(adjective) qualified, trained, skilled, ... expert, experienced, finished, skilled, masterly, efficient,
(noun) = expert, authority, master, ...

Many who call themselves professional because they collect a fee are anything but (e.g. some mechanics). :roll:
Feel free to put forth whom you regard as the pro mountain rescuers who are not SAR, and consider whether or not in their qualified opinion if they'd consider SAR as colleagues, peers.

As they say in Ghostbusters, "Who ya' gonna call?" Just sayin'. . . :-"

as stated.. i am sure the are excellent at SAR and topnotch. i swear people, my point was a, dont speculate to what you think i mean when i clearly didnt say that, B, most professionals are paid, which is the FIRST definition in any dictionary of professional. merely pointing out the funny way that the posting sounded, c, dont PM me and then go and post my comments, man up and dont hide behind a PM. d, just because you sit behind a desk and post pictures of motorcylces from kansas doesnt make you an english professor. E, this is a climbing forum, or am i wrong in that? F, why risk 17 SAR lives for a dog..agreed there was a human also involved, but still sounded like a whole lot, G, lose some weight and actually get outside instead of get after the new guy on the website. ](*,)
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

tlongpine wrote:I've been watching the Dog Debate and thinking it's unnecessarily acrimonious and judgmental, but this weekend I witnessed a pretty appalling dog situation on Holy Cross that changed my thinking.

I passed two dogs (a golden retriever and a yellow lab) 100 feet below the summit. I went over to say hello and noticed that one of the dogs paws was bleeding. Upon closer inspection I learned all four paws were shredded and two were bleeding.

Upon reaching the summit - at 3:30pm - we met the owners. Two young women taking their time on the summit as they toiled over the appropriate frequency of Molly ingestion.

It was a wonderfully clear day so we hung out on the summit for about 30 minutes and the girls preceded our party on the descent.

We passed them at the point the dogs were left, as they struggled to get the golden to walk. It refused to go anywhere, and was almost as big as she was. They would've been stuck if it weren't for the fact that one of the day's last descenders had a 65 liter pack that wasn't filled with much. He stuffed his gear into their daypacks and carried the dog out on his back.

Thank goodness that guy was in the right place at the right time with the right gear, and was gracious enough to help. Kudus to you, helpful mountain stranger! Shame on you, reckless dog owners.

With the dog crisis averted we couldn't help overhear as their conversation turned back to important topics during the descent:
"I can't believe it's getting dark. We started early at 10."
"I pretty much smoke weed everyday, but try to keep Molly to a weekend thing."
"I don't know what we would've done if you we're there? Hahaha. We could've died."

Me? I'm joining the emotional and judgmental chorus of people who would never put my dog in a situation I can't get him out of myself.

My friend and I were camping out and taking some pics of the mountain by the campsite. The girls, the 2 bloody dogs, and the guy didn't come past the camp sites until after 6, and they still had to hike out of the valley several miles to get back to the cars. It was most certainly pitch black out by the time they got back. Extremely dangerous and stupid. I just don't get some people sometimes.

The golden had socks on her feet that the stranger donated, but she was still having a real tough time moving when they went past us.