Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
Let's try to keep the topics related to mountaineering, please.
User avatar
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:46 am
Location: Denver

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby rickinco123 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:40 am

Tortoise1 wrote:Huh? It was a legal case. A statute was violated. It's known as the rule of law. It's one of the things that separates us from the uncivilized. The owner wanted his dog back, but he clearly didn't deserve to have his dog back. The legal system did a nice job with this one.

Huh? Really. There's no such thing as prosecutorial abuse huh? This could have just as easily been kept out of the legal system. Without media attention I can almost guarentee it would have been.

I have seen so many dogs over the years that have been taken dangerous places they should not be and to my knowledge, none of those owners were threatened with animal cruelty. Its called selective prosecutiion.

User avatar
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: Louisville, Co

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby Jeff Valliere » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:51 am

My take was that the abuse came in the form of leaving the injured dog for dead, high on the mountain for 8 days, not necessarily taking the dog along on the Sawtooth Ridge.

User avatar
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Boulder

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:46 am

rickinco123 wrote:I have seen so many dogs over the years that have been taken dangerous places they should not be and to my knowledge, none of those owners were threatened with animal cruelty. Its called selective prosecutiion.


There were many cries against Anthony being tried in the media, and now protests against him going through the judicial system. Is it possible that you want your judgement of not guilty to prevail and will protest against any course that does not have that result? I assume Anthony had a lawyer, and I assume he plead guilty to a minor charge and gave up Missy because his lawyer advised him it was very possible to get jail time if he went to trial.

Can you cite other instances of animal abandonment that were not prosecuted and the animals taken away? Or do you disagree with the current animal cruelty laws?

User avatar
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Boulder

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 am

live4pc wrote:There was no doubt that poor guy was tried and convicted by emotion in the media... what a joke!


You have expressed that many times, and I think anyone would have to agree there was a lot of negative response in the media to the incident.

What are your thoughts on the results in court (pre-trial)? Is there another course that you think this should have taken that would balance in the views of our society at large, and your opinion? By that I mean, I know you can take an objective step back and acknowledge that your opinions are not going to be in step with society everytime (mine aren't). How do you think matters should be resolved when there are differing opinions?

User avatar
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Boulder

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:19 am

mts4602 wrote:One of the rescuers made the comment on the Ellen show that the dog shouldn't have been up there in the first place, which is BS because soo many people do it and nobody cares until something happens. And I'm also talking about class 3, A LOT of you do it, but that's ok because you're smart and you know what you're doing.


It might have been more accurate to say that a climber/dog team should not be on a climb that they don't know how to handle if problems arise. For Anthony and Missy, that limit seems to have been class 3. I have seen climber/dogs on class 3 that were doing so well that I would assume they can handle any challenges on the route. With any large dog, it would seem like the skills/gear needed to evacuate under stress are going to be much greater on class 3 or harder though.

User avatar
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Jersey Swamp

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby BeastoftheEast » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:33 am



Who the f**k is this pig Bethenny Frankel and what the hell does she have to do with mountaineering?
The beast is in all of us. And so is the best.

User avatar
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Boulder

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:33 am

live4pc wrote:First of all, the guy no doubt made a mistake he should have done things differently... hindsight is 20/20. I talked to the guy on the phone granted it wasn't in person but, I still have a decent judge of character even over the p hone he came across ed as decent sincere guy. He had no chance from the start he was seen as the devil no matter the situation as he tried to explain from the start.

He had no audience to his case no second chance. And I know people are freak... it was just a dog.

That is were I believe in this case was carried out with pure blind emotion.


Lots of emotion was roiling for sure. Very interesting that you talked directly with him. Is it possible for decent, sincere people to do really despicable acts that require legal intervention? How would you suggest things could have been resolved while weighing the views of society at large, including yours? Trial by media is an ugly part of the new Internet world, but isn't that why we have the legal system? Admitted, prosecutors can be swayed by intense media coverage, but I don't think that is the case here. There was very little coverage of the incident after it went into the legal system (interviews with prosecutors, etc), only a momentary report of the results.

User avatar
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:27 pm
Location: Louisville, Co

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby Jeff Valliere » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:42 am

BeastoftheEast wrote:


Who the f**k is this pig Bethenny Frankel and what the hell does she have to do with mountaineering?


Never heard of her.

The link is meant to direct to the story about the dog rescue, but defaults to the page for that days entire episode, Monday, Sept. 17th, where several topics were covered. I looked for a more direct link and was unable to find one, but the dog rescue story titled "Animal Rescue" can easily be found there. Sorry for the confusion.

User avatar
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Boulder

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 pm

live4pc wrote:The dang prosecutor posted on this very forum every bit of this was trial by media.


I missed that. Got a link? If not, no worries, it would just be interesting to read.

live4pc wrote:I think his punishment should have been in the monetary area.


Didn't he have to cover the expenses? I thought I saw the number $5,000 somewhere. Is it the loss of Missy that you object to in the plea agreement?

live4pc wrote:The way the whole thing played out is a three ring circus first you have the internet craziness then media justice and to round it all out talk show stupidity closing the case and all is right in the world.


Trial by media is a problem we have not figured out in the internet world yet. Talk show stupidity? I missed the show. Was there Anthony-bashing on the show? I had the impression it was focused on the positive aspects of the story.

User avatar
Posts: 784
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:12 am

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby Hungry Jack » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:49 pm

Did someone lose a dog on a mountain or something?
I need more dehydrogenase.

User avatar
Posts: 702
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:46 am
Location: Denver

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby rickinco123 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:18 pm

dswink wrote:
rickinco123 wrote:I have seen so many dogs over the years that have been taken dangerous places they should not be and to my knowledge, none of those owners were threatened with animal cruelty. Its called selective prosecutiion.


There were many cries against Anthony being tried in the media, and now protests against him going through the judicial system. Is it possible that you want your judgement of not guilty to prevail and will protest against any course that does not have that result? I assume Anthony had a lawyer, and I assume he plead guilty to a minor charge and gave up Missy because his lawyer advised him it was very possible to get jail time if he went to trial.

Can you cite other instances of animal abandonment that were not prosecuted and the animals taken away? Or do you disagree with the current animal cruelty laws?

I assume a lot of people who are selectively prosecuted have lawyers as well, why wouldn't they when the force of the legal system is be brought to bear to deprive them of money/freedom? Did the authorities who said they couldn't/wouldn't rescue the dog or provide a reference for who could, did they abaondon the dog? If the dog fell into a raging river and was being swept away would the owner face abandonment accusations for not jumping in? And no sorry, I am not well versed in the current animal cruelty code of laws however it has nothing to do with my argument. I agree with rape laws but I don't agree with wrongful prosecution based on those laws either.

Can you find another straw dog argument to back up your points? Pun intended.

User avatar
Posts: 823
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Boulder

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Postby DaveSwink » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:59 pm

rickinco123 wrote:I assume a lot of people who are selectively prosecuted have lawyers as well, why wouldn't they when the force of the legal system is be brought to bear to deprive them of money/freedom?


Sorry, I am missing your point here. I was saying that I assumed he took a deal under his lawyer's advice. If it came out that I was suggesting he should not have a lawyer, I apologize, that's all wrong.


rickinco123 wrote:If the dog fell into a raging river and was being swept away would the owner face abandonment accusations for not jumping in?


Would a closer analogy be; if you swam to an islet in the middle of a river with your dog but when your dog couldn't swim back, you left him and did not come back?

rickinco123 wrote:I agree with rape laws but I don't agree with wrongful prosecution based on those laws either.


Point taken. I guess I was trying to gauge if the objection was to bad animal cruelty laws or the case going to court at all, or whatever. What I am hearing from you and live4pc is the incident was unfairly tried in the media, and that the prosecutor should not have pressed the case.

rickinco123 wrote:Can you find another straw dog argument to back up your points? Pun intended..


Haha. I don't know that I had any points :oops: I was just trying to clarify what the source of unhappiness at the outcome was, and where else things could have gone. Thanks for your response.

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest