Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kitten
14ers: 58  1  2 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (24)

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Post by Kitten »

This was awful news to hear. We found out yesterday that Derek was a relative of one of our relatives, never met him, but we feel the sorrow. Condolences to close family and friends, RIP Derek.
All, be safe out there.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.
Man Jerk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Man Jerk »

Nathan, this is Mark. I am sittin with Bob, Tara, Dereks mom and sister and were just talking about you. Just sharing memories and looking at pictures.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

Nathan,

Thank you for sharing those great pictures.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
ulvetano
14ers: 58  9  7 
13ers: 48 2 1
Trip Reports (20)

Post by ulvetano »

Ugh. Great pics, great routes, great experience, great smiles. Such a sad event.
rking007
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 19 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rking007 »

I just finished going through your photo album Nate and I was struck by the last pic entitled "A preview of heaven, climbing mountains together". Derek, may you climb higher than ever before with your Father who gave you so much joy down here. Prayers for peace and strength and rest for the family and protection and understanding for his children as they grow. Prayers for sleep and rest for those who witnessed and courageously rushed to save. You are heroes. This is just so sad.
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

Rock-a-Fella wrote:
Gareth wrote:Good idea. I was annoyed seeing the, "not wearing a harness", part in the two news stories I read. I just griped about it to my non-climber coworker.
I am not positive but I think the reference to the absence of a harness is an effort to eliminate the failure of an anchor, rope, hardware or climbing partner's belay in the case of a fallen climber. In addition, the section where the fall originated is a section many climbers elect to "rope up and down on". Just thought to offer a different perspective. Hope it help those who may have been offended
Good point. I had only considered that it kind of sounded like something reckless had been done (which we have no reason to believe was the case*). However, it could have been meant in the other way, as you suggest.

*I in no way whatsoever am trying to start a safety discussion
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Gareth wrote:
Rock-a-Fella wrote:
Gareth wrote:Good idea. I was annoyed seeing the, "not wearing a harness", part in the two news stories I read. I just griped about it to my non-climber coworker.
I am not positive but I think the reference to the absence of a harness is an effort to eliminate the failure of an anchor, rope, hardware or climbing partner's belay in the case of a fallen climber. In addition, the section where the fall originated is a section many climbers elect to "rope up and down on". Just thought to offer a different perspective. Hope it help those who may have been offended
Good point. I had only considered that it kind of sounded like something reckless had been done (which we have no reason to believe was the case*). However, it could have been meant in the other way, as you suggest.

*I in no way whatsoever am trying to start a safety discussion
I don't think that any reasonable person would extrapolate that from your post. Actually to the contrary, that you were defending what you thought might be considered a negative comment about a fallen brother. No worries, Gareth. I think everyone is ok with the position you took.
mattdecoste
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (6)

Post by mattdecoste »

Oh no. I am sitting here totally bewildered and shocked. I was on top of Pyramid Peak around noon on Saturday celebrating my 40th birthday with some climbing buddies when we saw and heard the helicopters across the valley near N. Maroon. Another guy on the summit with us commented that a helicopter near Maroon was a bad sign and we all hoped it was a rescue and not a recovery. When we got back to the trailhead we heard it was a fatality and our hearts sank. I felt impressed that I should pray for the climber's family.

After seeing the pictures of Derek I realized I know him! Several years back we played basketball together every Monday night at a church in Colorado Springs. And more recently he began going to the church I attend here in Colorado Springs, Mountain Springs Church. It's hard for me to fathom this. Derek was the guy I always wanted to have on my team. He was an excellent athlete, kind, always smiling, kind of a quiet guy. He was a man of faith. He is with his Saviour now. He was a friend. My condolences to his wife, parents, family, and friends. I will miss you Derek. I'm thankful I had the opportunity to be blessed by your life and friendship.
fox_inthesnow
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (7)

Post by fox_inthesnow »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:Derek was one of my climbing partners and closest friends. I last saw him when he helped to rescue me after a small climbing fall that broke a bone in my foot. He got me safely down the cliff and to medical help. Farewell, my friend. I'll see you again.

Here are some climbing pics of Derek:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 990c3dbbfd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RIP Derek. These pictures are a perfect reflection of the joy we all find in these mountains...
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

Very glad to see someone sharing pics of his life :) and times summiting mountains with friends.
Hope their eclipse by recent events :( soon yields in favor of those memories for those who knew him.
Anima eius per Dei misericordiam requiescat in pace.

Mountains' scale often cloaks their perpetual collapse to passersby.
I remember hiking, holding up a hard copy of the Route Page and soberly spotting fissured changes large and small.
If sharing photos helps any (friends, family, 14ers) unfamiliar with North Maroon relate to the gravity of its world...
Standing on the sands within its hourglass is indeed splendor on the edge.
High in the second gulley looking across
Cliff bands atop the second gulley
Further up (doesn't lend itself to the use of pro')
Looking down on the "precipice" which the Chimney leads you to.
Near the top the stuff slides easily. There was a cairn in the distance for a non-standard route across it.
Chimney
Descent into second gulley (note cairn on left).
Further down the second gulley. Gives an idea of rock, slope, conditions, etc.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Man Jerk
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Man Jerk »

I do not recall if I posted the memorial information or not. The Service will be held tomorrow(wed) at 1pm at mountain springs church.

Tara (Derek's wife) asked me to pass along her love and thanks to all of those who have ever hiked with Derek. She reads this thread, as well as Dereks entire family. It makes her feel good to know that Derek had so many people around and touched so many lives. To those who post well wishes and prayers: this too has given her solace and she appreciates every comment.
My name is Mark Janzen. Dereks family and my family have been friends for just over 4 years. Our first borns were born 2 weeks apart and have grown up together. There are others which were closer to Derk than I but he was a member of our family. He loved my kids like his own and I love his kids like they are my own. We enjoyed family trips into the mountains, taking our kids camping, family trips to Ouray, my first few 14ers, skiing, snowshoeing, carving pumpkins, easter dinners, birthdays. Love and peace.

Again, thank you to the 14ers comminity for the outpouring of support, on behalf of Tara, Dereks whole family, myself and my family.
Last edited by Man Jerk on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

RIP Derek. Sending good thoughts to family and friends.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.