Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Postby mtree » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Reading about this horrible tragedy was downright chilling.
RIP Derek. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby ryguy79 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Very sad to see this. I didn't know him well, but I climbed and skied Little Italy with him and some of my climbing partners were good friends with him.

Postby Man Jerk » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:46 pm

Service will be Wednesday at 1pm at mountain springs church off of woodmen/powers.

Postby Yog » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Very sorry to hear about this. I was on Maroon when we heard the helicopters as well, was hoping things would turn out alright, but found out otherwise on the summit.

ManJerk- Thank you for stepping up for Derek's kids, that's very honorable and noble of you. I'm very sorry for your loss, as well as for the loved ones left behind.

For all those that witnessed the event, I wish you strength and peace. Again, not enough kudos can be given to SAR.

Sunny - It was nice to meet you and your climbing partner up there. I don't recall Jim's screen name, but if you read this, it was nice to meet you as well, and climb with all of you. Sunny, the text went through to Denver, so all was well. Thanks for letting me use your phone. All my loved one's heard that a 30 something male had fallen on the Bells, so it was a very important text to get out.
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner

Postby djkest » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:48 pm

I contacted 850 KOA and asked them to stop saying that he was "climbing without a harness" on the newscasts. The News Director replied to me with this:
Thanks for your note. We appreciate your expertise.

Not sure what that means, but hopefully they will stop reporting this irrelevant and misleading detail.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog

Postby Gareth » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:52 pm

djkest wrote:I contacted 850 KOA and asked them to stop saying that he was "climbing without a harness" on the newscasts. The News Director replied to me with this:
Thanks for your note. We appreciate your expertise.

Not sure what that means, but hopefully they will stop reporting this irrelevant and misleading detail.

Good idea. I was annoyed seeing the, "not wearing a harness", part in the two news stories I read. I just griped about it to my non-climber coworker.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James

Postby balto68 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:59 pm

I was at Maroon Lake with family on Saturday... one of the most beautiful days I can remember this year. We saw the SAR helicopter high up on the mountain, and all we could say was that we hoped no one had been killed.

What a tragedy. Prayers and condolences for friends and family, and a big thank you to the SAR personell.

Postby sandy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:54 pm

Sad news. R.I.P. Derek.

Postby highcountryhiker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Sincere condolences go out to Derek's family and friends. May those who witnessed this tragedy find peace and comfort.

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Very sorry to hear about this.. Condolences to his family and friends during this difficult time..
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby RamanDestroyer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:31 pm

I didn't know you, but you died like man doing what is good. You met a honorable end, be proud of what you achieved.

Postby dave_navy_VA » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:54 pm

I just hate this kind of news. Any young man like you that aspires to a healthy and positive way to spend a day like this - then suddenly leaves us - is an awful loss. RIP my friend.

PreviousNext