Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Photos of crowded peaks?

Camera equipment and technique for taking photos.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to try and sell your photos or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Re: Photos of crowded peaks?

Postby Dave B » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 am

Of the peaks I've climbed this summer, only two did I share the summit with more than my partner(s).

If you don't like hanging out around dumb tourists, don't go to Disneyland.
"There is no cheating in climbing, only lying." - Semi-Rad

Postby milan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:10 am

Colorado is still empty, if you want solitude, you will find it. Not on Grays Peak on summer Sunday. I had solitude on most of my 60 13ers this spring. Still, I have no problem with people if they care about the others, play safe and don't make mess, if they do make mess, it pisses me off. Prefer smaller amount of them and talk to them. Often got some unsolicited advice because of my accent and authomatic assumption I am a tourist and newbie but it was ment in a good way, so most times I just thanked. Funny that those advisors were usually rookies themselves that I met on Bierstadt, Grays or Torreys or below Quandary. If they got too braggy or annoying, I usually started to talk about hiking Wetterhorn, Lindsey, Longs or another peak, which those people either had no idea about or felt scared of and they shut up. More fun, this summer, I met several people on some difficult summits and some of them asked if I were Milan, because they knew me from here..
IMO we all are tourists, high mountain tourists though.

Postby Oldskool70 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19 am

Snow???? EHHWWW!!! I bet it doesn't snow in Kentucky :-k
If you're not moshing, it's NOT music.

Postby madbuck » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:19 am

milan wrote:Colorado is still empty, if you want solitude, you will find it. Not on Grays Peak on summer Sunday.

Dave B wrote:Of the peaks I've climbed this summer, only two did I share the summit with more than my partner(s).

If you don't like hanging out around dumb tourists, don't go to Disneyland.

Exactly. The advantage of being a hiking hipster is that you can hike an obscure 13er, or bushwhack up a lame cactus-infested scrubby ranked peak in your county, and see no one -- 'specially in winter.
You can occasionally also hike a crowded 14er on a weekend, but as a hipster, you'd be doing it ironically! [-(
It's all good!
(I was saying that phrase before it got super-popular, BTW...)

Postby Fred North » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:36 am

Oldskool70 wrote:Snow???? EHHWWW!!! I bet it doesn't snow in Kentucky :-k

It does snow some in Kentucky... however, I grew up in Michigan where snow can fall often and be deep and heavy. I prefer the light powdery snow of the mountains.
Exactly...these go to 11 -- Nigel Tufnel

Postby kansas » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:39 pm

Sums it up
Attachments
mountainsp11.jpg
mountainsp11.jpg (77.81 KiB) Viewed 265 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby MtHurd » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:46 pm

I hope for someone to be on Bross so someone can console me for climbing such a POS mountain.

Postby smrcka » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:25 pm

lackerstef wrote:We are bound to end up taking similar steps as California and allowing permit access only... Time to hurry up and finish the list so as to move onto the secluded 13ers!

Please don't - the 13ers are lame and everyone should avoid them!
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!

Postby wrchad23 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:29 pm

For my first 14er I took a couple days off work for the hike/birthday. I'm going on Monday 2 weeks from today to Elbert and something tells me it should be pretty isolated :mrgreen:

Oh and I'm bringing my dog and he's going to love it.
Last edited by wrchad23 on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Summit of Grays, notice the other pair of skis in the bottom right of the photo. I was wicked pissed.
Last edited by SchralpTheGnar on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby MtHurd » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:33 pm

lackerstef wrote:We are bound to end up taking similar steps as California and allowing permit access only...

As far as I know, you don't need a permit for a day trip. It's only when you plan on camping overnight.

Postby steelfrog » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:20 pm

Depends. The Whitney Zone is access-controlled even for day hikes. At least during high season (i.e., not in winter). So is Half Dome, on weekends. But the rest is for backcountry camping. However, i have found that if you are flexible about your entry point, you can usually get just about anywhere there that you want to.

PreviousNext