Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Dogs, dogs and even some cats
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Coucher73
14ers: 25 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt. Bierstadt dog update on 9NEWS

Post by Coucher73 »

Tony1 wrote:
Coucher73 wrote:It is unfathomable to me that the producers of the Ellen show got even one person to come to LA to talk about this, let alone eight.
Well, their expenses were all probably paid for by whoever manages the money for Ellen's show (is that how that works?). And, they get to meet Ellen, which would be awesome.
I get that it would be all-expenses paid. I don't get that people do a good deed and then feel the need to soak up the sun or get their names in the news. I realize I'm likely in the minority on the subject, but I wish people could live their lives without feeling the need or want to be on TV for it. Do they really need Ellen and a live studio audience to pat them on the back and tell them they did the right thing?
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

Probably not. I highly doubt that their goal was publicity; they were just being great people. But afterward, the opportunity presented itself so they took it. I probably would too. It's more of a "Hey, why not?" than searching for a pat on the back.
flylikeabeagle
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flylikeabeagle »

Coucher - why the hell not? They did a great thing and it is a compelling story. The whole pretentious backlash here on this has been dissapointing. I am going to watch them on Ellen and be proud. OK - time to get offline and go hiking
Coucher73
14ers: 25 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Coucher73 »

Tony1 wrote:Probably not. I highly doubt that their goal was publicity; they were just being great people. But afterward, the opportunity presented itself so they took it. I probably would too. It's more of a "Hey, why not?" than searching for a pat on the back.
I hear you. I have no doubt that they didn't set out on the Missy rescue as an attempt to seek limelight. But now that the limelight is on them... might as well extend your 15 minutes, I suppose.
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

[/quote] Do they really need Ellen and a live studio audience to pat them on the back and tell them they did the right thing?[/quote]

You may be coloring their motivations incorrectly here. Nothing wrong with a happy-ending story making it onto TV occasionally. This story sure beats daytime talk shows that seem focus on determining paternity.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

Look! Some a**hole left his baby on a mountain!
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37616

What's that? No one cares?!?! That's right, We should GO CLIMB A MOUNTAIN!!!!
Attachments
12273194521066.jpg
12273194521066.jpg (62.03 KiB) Viewed 2213 times
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

gregory_fischer wrote:Look! Some a**hole left his baby on a mountain!
http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37616

What's that? No one cares?!?! That's right, We should GO CLIMB A MOUNTAIN!!!!
Apparently you do since you took the time to post this….go save your baby :-D
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Gotta love the Oatmeal:

AWESOMENESS*

*contains profanity
Make wilderness less accessible.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Dave B wrote:Gotta love the Oatmeal:

AWESOMENESS*

*contains profanity
That was good stuff! Thanks for posting!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Dave B wrote:Gotta love the Oatmeal:

AWESOMENESS*

*contains profanity
Too funny, this made my day....thanks Dave
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

mts4602 wrote:I honestly can't imagine how I would feel or what I would do if I were in the same situation as this guy and had to leave my dog up there. I would like to think I would have done something different, at least attempting to go back and look for the dog later, but if I don't think I would have asked strangers from 14ers.com to help me find my dog.

What's really hard for me to wrap my head around is the fact that this guy was charged with a crime in the first place, and sadly brought forth mostly by members of this site. Unless I am mixing up details, he is being charged for a crime for leaving his dog by the same agency that refused to help him rescue the dog??????????????????????? In my opinion after he asked for help and was denied by the authorities that was game over, not his problem anymore. They refused to help rescue the dog because why, it was an animal not a human. Now they are charging him for leaving the dog. Crazy. I can't believe how angry this whole thing makes me.
+1
Love dogs, not so sure about many of their owners.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

dswink wrote: You may be coloring their motivations incorrectly here. Nothing wrong with a happy-ending story making it onto TV occasionally. This story sure beats daytime talk shows that seem focus on determining paternity.
Debatable
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer