Baker has no sense. A Cent' Finisher!

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Baker has no sense. A Cent' Finisher!

Post by uwe »

Very cool, Kevin.

Congratulations!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Way to go, Kevin!

I hope you have many more safe summits
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Kevin Baker
14ers: 58  53 
13ers: 674 32
Trip Reports (125)

Post by Kevin Baker »

Wow, thanks for all the kind words, folks! It sure was a long journey from the first one on Elbert way back in '98 back in the days of a Jansport pack and sweats. It didn't help that #2 didn't come until 2003! Anna, Keegan, and I had a great day on Half, etc. and the weather was absolutely exceptional. I may put a TR up.

-Darin, this is one of the few areas of the state where I haven't orphaned a 13er! I made sure to "mow the grass" instead of "cherry pick" in this area, but it's a beautiful place to come back to.

-Susan, I'm not one for hero shots, but I figure this one was a special occasion to Instagram one. Hope to see you at my Pikes presentation!

-Bill W, it was great being with there on your 14er journey with N Maroon and Capitol. Good memories for those climbs and good luck with your HC finish soon!

-Otina, enjoy the cent journey. There really are some awesome peaks on that list! I think in the overall pursuit of the 13ers the focus on the cents just gets mingled in with finishing the massive list of 584. There was no rush for me! I would be happy to repeat a few with you guys.

-Papi, thanks for the Electric Light Orchestra tribute! It does seem that I have very good luck with the weather, and this weekend was about as good as it gets. It was pretty chilly getting out of the tent at 11.8K with temps in the low 30's still wearing summer hiking clothes! Maybe Mr Bluebird will strike again for our little full moon hike soon.

-Caroline, wish you could have been there too. It was great to get out with you again on RGP. Let's do it again sometime soon. I would be happy to repeat a few in your cent pursuit.

-Emma, thanks for the kind words. You are one tough chica!

-Floyd, yes, maybe the next hike will be longer than a few hours!

-Anna, thanks for coming out. It really meant a lot for you to day hike in with all those beady eyes and make it over to Quarter with me. That was one sidehilling talus torture fest for sure!

-49ersRule, the bi-centennials dominoes will fall whenever since I hope to someday finish all the 13ers. No rush though!
Always do what you are afraid to do. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Kevin Baker wrote: -Susan, I'm not one for hero shots, but I figure this one was a special occasion to Instagram one. Hope to see you at my Pikes presentation!
Yup, I'm planning on it. For anyone interested, this is TOMORROW NIGHT IN DOWNTOWN COLORADO SPRINGS AND IT'S FREE!

Exploring Pikes Peak: 12 Months, 12 Routes - Tuesday, September 18, 7:30pm

CMC member Kevin Baker will present “Exploring Pikes Peak: 12 Months, 12 Routes” at the Tuesday, September 18th meeting of CMC’s Pikes Peak Group. The presentation begins at 7:30 p.m. at All Souls Unitarian Church, 730 N. Tejon St.

Details: http://www.cmc.org/ppg/programs_ppg.aspx

If you think that climbing Pikes Peak is "boring" - you really need to go to this presentation!
Matt
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Props, Kevin!
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

Shknbke, you have been a real inspiration, and more than that, the encouragement you've given me over the past few years has been irreplaceable in building my confidence in the high places.

Congratulations!
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Congratulations on finishing the Centennials! What an accomplishment both of climbing skill but also endurance and tenacity. You have accomplished what few others dare to achieve- way to go!
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
VBALGAL
Trip Reports (0)

Post by VBALGAL »

Congrats Kevin! Great job and thank you for all the posts along the way. Long road I'm sure but so worth the ride. :-D
wooderson
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wooderson »

Well done Kevin! Wish Papi and I could have joined you on your finisher, but at least we got to ring in #99 with ya. Hope you celebrated in style up there with a little of the old "Meister-J". :-D

CONGRATS!
mountainjam
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 124 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by mountainjam »

Congrats, awesome work! =D>
The future is no place to place your better days. - Dave Matthews
Vermont Mike
14ers: 36 
13ers: 32 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Vermont Mike »

Impressive Kevin!! =D> Have fun with the remaining 200 or so 13ers :)
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Way to go Kevin! It was a lot of fun enjoying several of the "home stretch" peaks with you over the last couple of years, I hope we can share many more on our quest for the "584"! Glad you had some great weather for this, it was quite a nice weekend for a finisher, Mr Bluebird strikes again 8)
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day