Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Post by SnowAlien »

Here is a photo of SAR helicopter. Beautiful fall day and such a tragedy. Very sad.

Last edited by SnowAlien on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

Tortoise1 wrote:It's an interesting sequence of events - "Kelley fell when a boulder came loose", but below there was first the sound of rock slide, then a considerable rock slide, then a backpack, then the fallen climber, then more rock slide. It almost sounds like he was able to arrest the fall temporarily, or the coroner statement that he started the rock slide isn't right.
At this moment I do not want to loose sight of the loss of this man. Husband, Father, Family member, Friend and fellow Mountaineer.

That said, we solve for closure and clarity.

Most accounts were witnessed from an area lower than the "Deck of the Chimney". The accounts of what THEY heard and saw first are just that. Both statement as accurate. This tragedy began with a loose boulder in the top section of the chimney and escalated from there.
phil_2269sam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by phil_2269sam »

I am deeply sorry for the loss of another climber. I was among the four climbers who entered the lower gully where he lay. We were within reach of Derek's body to perform the earliest first aid, but it was too late. One of our party spotted Derek's blue helmet as we ascended, below the spot where he initially fell but did not retrieve it.

May Derek rest in peace and my most sincere condolences go out to the family. I will continue to pray for you.

This has truly shaped my resolve to further enforce myself and others to be vigilant at the strictest safety measures while climbing and hiking in the mountains. Although this was my second traverse of the Bells - it will be my last on them. There are too many spots that are far too questionable. The experience has spooked me enough to take some time away.

Be safe.
Phil
bethtrombone
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 29 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bethtrombone »

This is a harrowing thing to read... my thoughts are with Derek's friends and family as well as everyone who was on N. Maroon that day. A month ago, I was hiking this mountain with a friend, and we met the father and a friend of a young man who died on the traverse 2 yrs ago. They were hiking N. Maroon as the father's last 14er, and to honor the young man who died. They scattered his ashes from the top. It was such a humbling experience, and an honor to be a part of this important day for those two men. I have never felt so sad leaving a 14er... or more respectful of the danger of these mountains.

I remember that chimney where Derek fell to be difficult. After such an emotional day already, I felt uneasy and had my friends pull up my pack on a rope so as to free me up to climb more easily. The whole day really took a lot out of me mentally and emotionally, and after that, I had to take a few moments to regain my focus and composure before going on. I realize after hearing of this recent tragedy just how lucky I am to have left that mountain unharmed.

The "Deadly Bells" sign at Maroon lake takes on a whole different meaning when you are pushed one degree of separation towards the death of so many who have loved these mountains....
I can and will remind you of two of the most important facts I know:
1. Everything is part of the mystery.
2. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
-Tom Robbins
marciamallow
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marciamallow »

My heart goes out to the climbers family and friends. Much love to my friend Ian. This must be very difficult. Such a tragedy. Rest in peace , our fellow climber.
notanative
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by notanative »

Just heard of this awful news on tv before bed. Another reminder not to take anything in life for granted, especially while enjoying the great outdoors. R.I.P. Derek
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

My sincere condolences and prayers to the Derek's family and friends. Prayers also for all the other climbers involved. R.I.P., Derek.

MountainHiker:

Your narrative of what you witnessed hit me in an oddly deep way because of a book that I just finished reading this afternoon... "The Mountain of My Fear" by David Roberts. I don't know who has read it or not, obviously, but near the end, Roberts describes an accident on a mountain in Alaska where he witnessed his young climbing partner, named "Ed", falling to his tragic, and untimely end. Your post just struck me as way too similar to what I'm still pondering from the book. It's a horrible shame that any climber is lost, or that any other climber has to witness the loss. Take care.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

This is chilling, surreal, and gut-wrenching. One week ago today I was downclimbing this same part of North Maroon. I very clearly remember some large 200 lb rocks near the top of the 2nd gully that moved when I grabbed them- spinning away from the side, poised to fall. I slowed down and started to lose my partners, but I had to try and be safe and careful. With the memory of Lenny Joyner heavy in my heart, we couldn't take anything for granted. RIP Derek. May your family find peace and comfort in this trying time.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Tony1
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 261 11 5
Trip Reports (31)

Post by Tony1 »

MountainHiker -

Good God. Imagining myself in your situation, I don't have words to respond with. That's... yeah. :cry:

Each story like this I hear of gets more and more gutwrenching. It's horrible to hear about the death of another one of us who has a great love for these mountains. My sincere condolences to everybody for whom Derek was a part of their lives - we are all here for you.
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Crestoner »

My nephew and I climbed North Maroon yesterday. It was a beautiful day in a stunningly beautiful place, and the climbing was sublime. We had no idea of the previous day's tragedy until speaking with another climber at the top of the second gully. We were very saddened to hear of this terrible event in this wonderful place.

My sincere condolences to Derek's family and friends.

A quick note on the route crux... The chimney can be avoided by following the cliff band to the left, approximately 50 feet. There is some breathtaking exposure at this point. Climb the brief class-3 pitch at the end of the 3-ft wide ledge (there are great hand- and footholds), take a few steps on relatively flat rock (rock face on your left), and you will find yourself at the top of the chimney...you will need to do a short hop over the chimney opening. The climbing here takes ~45 seconds. Interestingly, this bypass seems easier to downclimb than upclimb. Attached are 3 photos of this crux bypass ("crux bypass exposure" is the view down from the ledge).

Stay safe.
Attachments
crux bypass exposure.jpg
crux bypass exposure.jpg (267.39 KiB) Viewed 3079 times
IMG_8298a.jpg
IMG_8298a.jpg (189.54 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_8299a.jpg
IMG_8299a.jpg (202.47 KiB) Viewed 3101 times
Last edited by Crestoner on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
rajz06
14ers: 27  4 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (63)

Post by rajz06 »

Sad indeed that we lose members of this great community while they're just following their hearts like the rest of us! :cry: Another grim reminder of the realities of our passion. My condolences to Derek's family and friends.
tundraking
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tundraking »

I am very sorry to hear about this tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to Derek's family and friends. I wish peace and comfort to them and to others who were on the mountain that day.