Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Doctor No
14ers: 35  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Climber Deceased on North Maroon Today.

Post by Doctor No »

Very sad news. :( Rest in peace, Derek.
runner69
14ers: 42 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (0)

Post by runner69 »

Mountainhiker you are so right about the SAR workers, I was with LCSAR for 17 years and the deacation and time spent can never be paid. we do it for the love of helping people. And yes we do get consling after anything like this. I always had a hard time after a body recovery and did a lot of soul searching and asking myself why. My heart goes out to all involved. Thank you for all the info on what happend and for helping. I don't know you but I do know the type of person you are by going out of your way to help and do what you did.
Do or Do not there is no try-Yoda
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

This is a real shame.

To those who were close to Derek, condolences to you.

It's been a tough year in the mountains.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

It's an interesting sequence of events - "Kelley fell when a boulder came loose", but below there was first the sound of rock slide, then a considerable rock slide, then a backpack, then the fallen climber, then more rock slide. It almost sounds like he was able to arrest the fall temporarily, or the coroner statement that he started the rock slide isn't right.
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by sunny1 »

Very tragic. My heart is heavy.
Was on S Maroon and heard the helicopter in the early afternoon Saturday. :(

To all those involved as witnesses, and to all of Derek's friends and family, I wish you peace, healing and comfort. [-o<
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
Tatra
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tatra »

I can not imagine the pain of Derek's family and friends.  He just wanted to climb another 14er and didn' expect that it was going to be his last day.  It is heartbreaking and wrong.   RIP Derek.
I had a very similar incident on the El Diente- Mt Wilson traverse.  When coming up Mt Wilson, I wanted to use one of the boulders above me as a hand hold and when I touched it it came loose and started sliding down on me. I was going down with all the other rocks.  I thought that it was over but at the last second I was able to grab a stable rock with both hands and the slide went through me but without me.  It was a horrible and massive rockslide that went all the way to the snowy bottom and I realised that I got a second chance.  Wish Derek got another chance and was with us.  Very sad! Glad there were some people who could help with this tragic situation.      
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Sorry to hear about Derek. You guys who witnessed the fall are commended for keeping your cool and doing the right thing to assist. Prayers to all of you and condolences to the friends and family of the deceased climber.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
axbauer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by axbauer »

My heart is heavy with this news.

Prayers to the fiends and family.
Mike Cormier
14ers: 45  9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mike Cormier »

Very tragic......My thoughts and prayers go out to Derek's family, close friends and all those who were involved. Rest in peace.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Not again. :(

RIP.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
cbrobin
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by cbrobin »

Damn
More Colorado than the Natives.
SpringsHiker
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

So sorry for the climber, family and friends. Ian, thanks for the great report; sorry you had to experience that but you're the kind of mountaineer anyone would want on the scene when there is an accident.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"